Thread: Where to find a better bridge for my new Bouzouki ?

Default Where to find a better bridge for my new Bouzouki ?

OK I finally ordered a Lionheart bouzouki from Troubador.uk.com. Very reasonable price including shipping to US, it will help me to understand if I like the bouzouki or not.
    From the reviews that I have read on the Lionheart bouyzouki (made by Hora in Romania) it seems to be a good instrument but EVERYBODY strongly recommends to adjust the action at the zero fret (that I know how to do ) and to replace the factory bridge with an ebony compensated one.
    Can someone tell me where I can find a good bridge to buy ? Thanks !

Default Re: Where to find a better bridge for my new Bouzouki ?

For a flat top mandolin / bouzouki, you may want to consider a Red Henry one-piece maple bridge (http://www.murphymethod.com/index.cf...t&contentId=87). I installed one on a Trinity College OM I used to own and was very happy with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3579JPG.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	63001

Red Henry or Cumberland Acoustic

Cumberland, and any number of other suppliers, should be able to make one for you if you give them the scale length and the bridge height.

Be aware that the Troubador instruments have very little, if any, back-angle to the necks, so the bridges are a bit on the low side.

AND....bridges are not highly technical secret structures. I have had great success and derived much satisfaction from making my own. Get the size and height from your present bridge and check out some articles on compensation. Even if your compensation turns out slightly imperfect, it will be better than none.

A standard guitar bone nut and a dremel will make a well compensated bridge without too much fuss.
    Last edited by bunyip; Oct-21-2010 at 1:30am.

[QUOTE=barrangatan;841482]For a flat top mandolin / bouzouki, you may want to consider a Red Henry one-piece maple bridge (http://www.murphymethod.com/index.cf...t&contentId=87). I installed one on a Trinity College OM I used to own and was very happy with it.

Hey man,I need a good bridge for a flat-top bouzouki too,and I checked Red Henry´s website,but as far as I could see he has bridge-pieces designed for carved tops.How can you fix it on a flat-top instrument?

You email Red and he'll make one for you for a flat-top.

I have the Troubadour Lionheart as well, and I replaced the stock bridge with an ebony/bone bridge from Dave Hynds (Link). As Rick Cadger has said, the bridges are quite low, so I had to take Dave's blank down quite a bit.

Here is a video of my Troubadour, with the replacement bridge fitted:

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Jan-30-2011 at 5:13am.

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

You are not going to be able to use either a Red Henry style maple bridge, nor an adjustable Gibson style mando bridge on one of the Horas. If they have no back angle on the neck, the strings are going to be close to the height of an acoustic guitar off the soundboard, around 1/2", and you are going to have to make something out out of something suitable like ebony, rosewood or maybe maple or even solid bone that will fit the soundboard and have the appropriate compensation for your desired strings. It should not be too difficult a job for any competent repair person.

cheers

graham

Graham:

Not a bad guess at 1/2". The bridge height from soundboard to strings is actually a bit lower still on my Hora, just under 10mm.

Martin