Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse pick angle

Default Re: Reverse pick angle

Tbone,
    You should definitely try a left-handed bevel. It took me a while to figure out the right-handed bevel didn't work for my style. When I went to the left-handed bevel, my tone went from thin to full immediately (Unfortunately, still don't sound like Sam Bush or John Reischman....). If you do try it, I'd be curious to know what you think.

Phil

I've only been playing for five months, but I was a bit worried that holding the pick the "correct" way from everything I read feels so awkward and makes me so clumsy. It's very natural for me to hold the pick the "reverse" way, with a little support from my middle finger. My thumb is double jointed, but not like in that picture. It's double jointed at the lower joint. I think I'm normal up top. I don't know if holding the pick this way will impede me some day down the road, but it sure makes playing now more enjoyable. I miss half of the strings when I play with my index finger curled in and I don't strike the strings I manage to hit very well. It feels like trying to hit a tack dead center with a sledge hammer. I suppose with some discipline I might be able to do it someday, but it doesn't sound like I have to do that.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I use a grip which is about halfway between a guitar grip and the "proper" mandolin grip. I can't chop worth a dang with the "proper" grip, so I have to do what's right for me. That's all that's holding me back from being the next CT
    Living’ in the Mitten

Blog Entries

There is no wrong or right way in the ultimate sense, no mandolin police are going to arrest you. But folks have been playing the mandolin, and or mandolin like instruments, for a very long time, and it might be a good idea to at least try out what has been handed down and what so many still consider "good practice" or "recommended practice". There is likely much more to it than just tradition.

If you try it, and its not to your liking, thats great. Do it the way that gets it done the best for you. But "standard techniques" should be given more than passing consideration.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can bend my thumb into the position you have described and shown. It does give a different tone from the standard pick grip. The reason why I don't use it is that my hand is not relaxed when holding the pick like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoPheel View Post
    Tbone,
    You should definitely try a left-handed bevel. It took me a while to figure out the right-handed bevel didn't work for my style. When I went to the left-handed bevel, my tone went from thin to full immediately (Unfortunately, still don't sound like Sam Bush or John Reischman....). If you do try it, I'd be curious to know what you think.

Phil
    Thanks, I'll definately try it. Sam Bush look out!