Thread: Martin Mandolin Identity

Default Martin Mandolin Identity

I got to play an old Martin A Style mandolin today. The serial number is AK-15705. It seemed to be smaller than most A styles I've seen. The best way I can describe the top is a lazy upside down V. The V point is facing up and runs across the mando just behind the bridge. The back was flat. It seemed to be just a bit thicker than my Gibson. The neck was much wider and thicker than my Gibson. That may not make much sense but I am not sure how else to describe it. The serial # looked to be stamped inside on the bottom of the instrument at the base of the neck. The Martin Serial Numbers pages I've looked at show the numbers but their is no letter designation (AK). Any help identifying this instrument and its approx. worth would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Women and Rhythm Section First. Jaco
    Gibson F5-G
    1974 Fender Jazz Bass
    1962 Gibson ES-355
    1969 Roman Teller Violin

Default Re: Martin Mandolin Identity

It's a Style AK; mostly the same specs at the standard MArtin model A, except the top, sides and back are made of koa. The style is based a little on traditional bowl back mandolins, and is usually called "bent top."

According the Mike Longworth's history, the AK was introduced in 1920, and discontinued in 1937. (The standard A had a spruce top, with rosewood back and sides from its introduction in1914 to 1917, with mahogany after that -- and Martin made them right into the 80s.) The serial number would put this one's manufacture date in 1933. If you look on Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia's website -- www.vintage-instruments.com -- they have a lovely example from 1931 for sale (NFI) for $1,550.

That's on the high side for these, in my experience (I've seen them sell in the last year or two in the $1,000 - $1,200 range -- but it's got killer grain, and looks to be in extremely nice shape.

The AKs have the same dimensions as the other Martin bent tops.

I've had a few Martin bent tops over the years, and owned of the AKs once. It was an excellent instrument, and, as I recall, had kind of a crisper sound than the spruce top models. The other thing I remember about it is that it really smelled nice. the early 30s, in my opinion (and some others', I believe) was a time of exceptionally good craftsmanship at Martin.

There are a lot fewer of the AKs around than the standard As, but they're not that rare. Seems like there's usually one or two for sale at one of the shops.

Did it look like this?

This is my mahogany & spruce '53 Martin Style A (as opposed to an "A-style").

Yes, it is a short scale and the sound box is also smaller yet thicker (with a bent top) than most A-style mandos. It is very difficult to find cases for them. It is louder than round holes are said to be and has a good, woody projection. I do not favor Martin guitars but I like this mando.
    raulb

c. '37 Dobro mandolin
    '53 Martin Style A
    '78 Ibanez 524 F-style
    '98 Graham McDonald guitar body bouzouki
    '08 Trinity College TM-275 Mandola

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are. --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

Martin built the Style A from 1914 to 1995 (Special order only in 95). I've never seen one newer than the 70's and have owned several. Sweet little instruments. Rob has it right on the AK, Koa, made from 1920 to 1937, however, according to Gruhn and mugwumps, the last serial number for 1933 was 15528. That makes the one you're looking at a 1934. Frank Ford has a 1930 AK in the www.frets.com museum. You can see it here.

I have a distinct feeling that Rockville847 is not looking at a Martin at all. Hopefully he/she will reply here to comparisons with the postings and photos. What is puzzling is this description of the tops as a "lazy upside down V". Whatever does that mean? I would suggest posting a photo of this instrument. I am not even sure it is a mandolin by the description, let alone a Martin. Curious...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

They're talking about the cant on the top Jim, they don't know how else to describe it. They had a serial number as well that denotes it as a style A Koa from 1934.

I guess the cant does make sense...

"The neck was much wider and thicker than my Gibson." ??? Would that be true?

it would be nice if the OP checked in to find out the answers top his/her questions, dontcha think?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The necks on that era Martin weren't huge but the older Gibson's were a little more petite. Who knows.

My nut is 1 3/16" wide. The neck might be thicker to you because there is no truss rod to help take the strain. Actually, the neck on my Ibanez is thicker.

Here is a picture showing the "bend" or "cant" in the top. The white stick is a piece of shoe molding:

Here's another shot with a different background:

raulb

c. '37 Dobro mandolin
    '53 Martin Style A
    '78 Ibanez 524 F-style
    '98 Graham McDonald guitar body bouzouki
    '08 Trinity College TM-275 Mandola

"It may not be smart or correct, but it's one of the things that make us what we are. --Red Green, "The New Red Green Show"

raulb, I really do understand the cant... esp with a closetful of vintage bowl- and flatbacks...

sorry for my confusion, but I just could not figure out what the OP was talking about. I though there was some sort of inverted V decoration on the top. Mike did clear it up.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks for all the replies on the Martin. Rob's post got it about right. The upside down inverted lazy V was my feeble attempt to describe a "Bent Top". I did look at the mando on the vintage instruments site and it is pretty close to the one I played. It does have a similar shape to the mando in the second post. The neck on my Gibson is 1 1/16" wide and has a distinct V shape. The Martin's neck it probably 1 3/16" wide and a fat C shape. To my hand that is quite a different feel from one to the other. It also seems the neck is shorter but that is probably because the body comes up the neck farther. Rob also got it right on the craftsmanship it is a very nice instrument. Considering the mando hadn't been tuned, played, or the even out of the case for 15 years it was about 1/2 step flat. But, it tuned up nicely and considering the age of the strings it sounded good and played easily. I would like to try it with new strings. The man who owned the Martin used to play with Roy Acuff and Flatt & Scruggs. His daughter is now the owner and given the fact it hasn't been out of the case since her father died I doubt she has much of an interest in mandolins. I appreciate all the comments, sorry it took me so long to reply but I had to go to Vegas for a couple of days. Thanks again...Terry
    Last edited by Rockville847; Sep-27-2010 at 9:25pm.
    Women and Rhythm Section First. Jaco
    Gibson F5-G
    1974 Fender Jazz Bass
    1962 Gibson ES-355
    1969 Roman Teller Violin

I built my own case out of a discarded fiberboard shipping container... almost 50 years ago! What I did not know about cases would fill an encyclopedia, but I copied aspects of a guitar case. It looks like crap on the outside, concealing the nice little Martin C (1925, per communication with Martin) within. :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HM Martin Case 04.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	467.9 KB 
ID:	191331
    Steve

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Weeks For This Useful Post:

ok, i had to look up "shoe molding".......

Great job on building the case Steve. I've always wondered why there wasn't more of build your own case movement. Some people build some heavy boxes. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about building a case that looks more like commercial cases. Maybe when I retire

In the past several years I believe we have only had one case for one of these pop up in the classifieds and it wasn't identified in the ad. I think it went to someone in the UK.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

16. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ...I've always wondered why there wasn't more of build your own case movement. Some people build some heavy boxes. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about building a case that looks more like commercial cases. Maybe when I retire...
    I've built cases for a National Triolian, a Washburn bowl-back mandola, a bowed psaltery and a Polk-A-Lay-Lee. I would be embarrassed to show any of them to Cafe members. Definitely "heavy boxes," crude but fairly sturdy, and painted white (!) to reduce heat absorption. The mandola flew back and forth to Phoenix in checked baggage, undamaged. Try to find a commercial case for a Polk-A-Lay-Lee...impossible...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

18. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I've built cases for a National Triolian, a Washburn bowl-back mandola, a bowed psaltery and a Polk-A-Lay-Lee. I would be embarrassed to show any of them to Cafe members. Definitely "heavy boxes," crude but fairly sturdy, and painted white (!) to reduce heat absorption. The mandola flew back and forth to Phoenix in checked baggage, undamaged. Try to find a commercial case for a Polk-A-Lay-Lee...impossible...
    Ya gotta do what you gotta do and I understand that completely but the fact that there are true amateurs here that have built musical instruments that look pretty good and sound pretty good makes me wonder why that part of the hobby never really took off. I get it that it's a whole lot of work but I'm just surprised. I jumped through hoops to get a few of the cases I own and it never once dawned on me I could just make one. Over the years I've adapted all sorts of boxes to house equipment but have been lucky with most of my instruments.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber