Thread: Crazy idea...

Default Crazy idea...

What happens if I buy an ultra-cheap 12 string guitar, take out the first and the last pair of strings, and re-string it with 8 mando-cello strings ? (Of course, widening the nut slots).
    The overall tension of the strings will be around 126 kilos as opposed to 115 kilos for 12 guitar strings,
    so tension shouldn't be a problem. Yes, the neck will be too wide, but then you cannot have everything.
    This idea came to my mind because I would like to buy a mandocello but I never played one, and they are very expensive (over 1500 dollars).
    In this way I can get a cheaply made "mandocello" and understand if I like the instrument, before deciding to invest so much money in a real mandocello.
    Has anyone tried this ? Thank you for your advise.

Default Re: Crazy idea...

Take a look through these several pages of threads. The applicable subjects will jump right out at you.

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
    What happens if I buy an ultra-cheap 12 string guitar, take out the first and the last pair of strings, and re-string it with 8 mando-cello strings ? (Of course, widening the nut slots).
    The overall tension of the strings will be around 126 kilos as opposed to 115 kilos for 12 guitar strings,
    so tension shouldn't be a problem. Yes, the neck will be too wide, but then you cannot have everything.
    This idea came to my mind because I would like to buy a mandocello but I never played one, and they are very expensive (over 1500 dollars).
    In this way I can get a cheaply made "mandocello" and understand if I like the instrument, before deciding to invest so much money in a real mandocello.
    Has anyone tried this ? Thank you for your advise.
    Gerardo,

I've done it and I've never looked back. It was one of the best instrument decisions I made. To top it off, it sounds fantastic!!!!!!!
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Keith, how did you solve the issue of mandocello loop end strings ? I mean, I guess that I would need ball end strings, and I don't know if they make it ? Thanks

Hi there Gerardo,

Check out this site: http://emando.com/shop/strings_cello.htm for ball end strings.

I have no financial gain. I've had wonderful luck from our own Martin Stillion. Looking back in retrospect, I should have done something funky with the head stock but oh well. It's all great.

Feel free to check out my photo album.

Good Luck to you. I don't think you'll be disappointed
    Keith Erickson

Hi Keith, thank you for the link to emando.com. Very useful !
    I looked at your photo album and I noticed that you have replaced both the
    nut and the bridge on your 12 strings guitar to convert it to a mandocello ?
    I can make a new nut too, I know how to make ity. But what about the bridge ?
    Would it be possible just to leave the original 12 strings bridge and use only the
    8 central bridge pins, or do you think that in this way the strings spacing would be to narrow ?

Gerardo, That is a great question. I am not a luthier and so if anyone is reading this, who is more informed than I, please feel free to jump in.

From what I can gather on those string guages, it's probably best to replace this bridge as well. Those bass strings are a little bit wider and It's probably best to get those measurements down correctly and to just replace that bridge.

Just my opinion....
    Keith Erickson

Hey , that's my niche ! (kidding) It's a fine idea, here's how I do it, I've done three Cello-versions & 3 Octave-coversions over the past year or so. Find a decent candidate: I think12-strings are a good way to go but your string spacing at the bridge WILL have to be tweaked. Trapeze bridge would be much simpler. If it's a pinned bridge ( like most) you can base the spacing on the outside A & D pin holes & tweak the ramp (the exit area of the string fron the bridgepin) of the next string . You can only go so far with this but usually you can get the outside pairs to work. I can almost gaurantee you'll have to plug & re-drill for the inside courses, based upon your outside pairs spacing, to come up with a correct overall spacing. Choosing a good candidate is an importanat step as well. for a 12-string I highly reccommend thinning the width of the neck (you'll need a belt sander) to 1 1/2-nut 2"- 12th or therabouts. If you do this you'll need to adjust the truss rod & probably a bit of fretwork as a lot of mass was removed from the neck, yet string tension is still high. The bracing on 12 strings should be adequate but again, it depends upon you candidate. My first conversion was a 60"s Gibson 12, braced like a tank ! (Double X , huge braces, etc) Wasn't necesarry, but I removed the back to remove / refine the bracing scheme. I'm sure it helped the sound, but may be more than you're willing / able to do. The Yamaha in this video was another story :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQwLalYTnQU

It was woefully underbraced ! The braces were way too tiny- single X - inadequate bridgeplate; it was about to blow when I bought it ,but obviously had held up for years. 3/4 or smaller bodied 6 string guitars usually have a more desireable scale / neck width. I just finished one that was already 2" at the 12th so there was no flare out of the fingerboard at the body joint. After thinning the neck width at the nut it blended right in at the 12th & looked like it was made that way ! Then there's tuning gears; tag on to 6 , cut down fron 12 , or plug up , new headplate & re-drill for mando tuners. Anyhow, that's pretty much it; biggest considerations for a good candidate:

Price

Truss rod / pretty straight neck to start with that ISN'T in need of a re-set.

Prefferably solid top (but not necessary)

Keep scanning Craigs Lst, you'll eventually find something, and Have fun !!

Dave