Thread: Recording on my Mac

Default Recording on my Mac

I'm trying to make recordings of my mandolin playing on my Mac. I have an HP Deluxe Webcam KQ246AA and was using a program called Camspinner.

I have 4 gigs of memory on a newer MacMini using Snowleopard.

The quality of the video is awful. The video is choppy and the sound is noisy. I have iMovie, but can't figure out how to record with it ... looked at help and it only seems I can import something recorded with another program.

I'm willing to get another program and/or camera ... but don't know where to start.

I'm a bit too stressed to focus on playing right now, so I'm trying to use this unfortunate period of time to go geek. For some reason, it's easier to go geek when I'm stressed.

Any help for a temporarily stressed out mandolin player is kindly appreciated.

Loretta
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Recording on my Mac

I can record directly to iMovie with my MacBook Pro. I've only tried using the built-in camera and mic (file>import from camera), but below "import from camera" is simply "import". Perhaps other mics and/or cameras can be used there(?)
    I've never tried to record anything worth keeping, just playing with the equipment figuring things out, basically, so quality has not been important to me.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

The only way I know of that's foolproof is to use a stand-alone video camera with flash-drive storage. Most of the reasonably priced ones will allow you to input a separate microphone of better quality. Then you simply take the flash drive and stick it in a USB port, import it to Imovie, and edit the less-than-desirable parts which, if you're like me, leaves you with no video at all, and better yet, no sound.

iMovie on my macbook simply gives me the option of the built in mic or built in camera. iPad has a couple of really simple recording apps that I use to lay down practice rhythm tracks, it's really fast and simple.

I just attach my webcam and then open up iMovie and choose "new project" from the File drop down - there I get a screen where I can record/playback/edit my clips. To save them as ".mov" files that I can share via youtube you just go to File and scroll down to "Share", which makes another window pop up where you can choose the resolution of the clip - I usually just choose the "CD-ROM" option. I will say that the quality of my webcam is very grainy if the lighting is poor. I'm hoping to get my hands on a Flip cam or Zoom Q3 in the near future. Hope some of that helps!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thanks everyone.

Jill, your description comes the closest to what I attempted to do. When I started a "new project" in iMovie, I got stuck. Couldn't get to the place where I could record.

I'll give it another try next time I get into the office where my Mac lives. Hopefully it's one of those things that's so easy, it seems elusive!

I'll keep you posted!
    Just visiting.

Thanks, Jill!

I think I need to give the mac geeks a call. When I start a "new project", the only thing it will allow my webcam to do is an audio "voiceover". I checked to make sure my webcam is compatible with iMovie, etc. .... and all is well. I wonder if I have the full iMovie version ... or if it's a mac mini thing.

I'll keep folks posted.

Cheers!!

Loretta

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I just attach my webcam and then open up iMovie and choose "new project" from the File drop down - there I get a screen where I can record/playback/edit my clips.
    Just visiting.

Alrighty then! Gawd I love Macs. Apparently, iMovie doesn't like my HP camera (HP has only windoze drivers one can download), but it works with everything else I've tried on my Mac.

There's a program that comes with the MAC OS called Photo Booth that records like a charm. Once the movie is made, it can be imported into iMovie.
    Just visiting.