Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on "The"

Default Re: Opinions on "The"

I thought they threw "The" in front of gibson so when you carve out "gibson" with a pocket knife it still had some letters up there...

I hope my luthier is pretentious enough to think he/she is the best and put "The" in front of their name!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Bill Bussman also made a mandolin with the peghead inlaid with "The One." I don't know if there was only one "The One," or if he made several that said they were "The One." Hopefully he made only one "The One."

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Presumably the second "One" would have been "The Two". Or "The Second One." Or "The One #2." Eh, just a big ol' can o' worms.

Jamie - Do you take The 422 to get to The Wal-Mart? Boy, I'll tell ya - I feel something was lost when people on the East Coast started referring to highways that way; that's a West Coast custom. I-95 is I-95, not "The 95" or "The I-95." Sorry, that's just the way I feel. When Buffalo Springfield said, in "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing," "Who's coming home on old 95?" I could relate, having done that myself hundreds of times. Never could figure why they would say that, being a California band, but Neil Young may have been living in Toronto at the time. Not that I-95 goes there, but maybe vaguely in the vicinity. Or maybe New York. I dunno. Oh, I guess it's just one of those unexplained mysteries of the unexplained.
    Last edited by journeybear; Oct-02-2010 at 12:00pm. Reason: had to pull over on I-95 to proofread
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Presumably the second "One" would have been "The Two". Or "The Second One." Or "The One #2."
    "The Other."

Journeybear, my Hobart, Tasmania students and mandolin playing friends would laugh at the thought that you claim to be "the Southernmost Mandolinist" without a modifier... And I'll bet I could find a mandolin player on Antarctica via my pal Henry Kaiser who took one of my guitars literally to the South Pole. It gets no Southerner than that!

This is "The Best" string ever. Love it ! ! !
    Steve

Blog Entries

I apologize. So many things around here are called "Southernmost" it becomes a nearly meaningless designation and a kind of in-joke. Of course I meant "Southernmost Mandolinist In The Continental United States." That is rather a mouthful, though, isn't it? But SMITCUS doesn"t really cut it.

Henry Kaiser would count - if he played mandolin! The real Southernmost mandolinist would be our own man dough nollij, next time he goes to work in Antarctica.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

When I started building, I used "The Flinthills" as my logo, having grown up on the eastern edge of the flinthills in Kansas, and it is where I plan to be scattered some day. After several requests from customers and some confusion with the Flint Hill instrument from Saga, I started putting my name on the headstock and now just build under my own name. I just use my last name without the "The." I have a drawer full (maybe 8) "The"s left over if someone wants them.
    Mark Franzke
    Franzke String Instruments
    www.mfstrings.com

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

I much prefer just using my last name.
    But a couple of years ago I built for myself an F-4 copy complete with full flowerpot,
    and for some reason I was moved to inlay 'The' before my name. I do not regret it,
    and would not do it again unless someone asked for it. With the added word the overall
    font size needs to be smaller, thus less detailed.
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

This is one comical thread, y'all.

I am at the other extreme. I have never put my name on a headstock, but chose instead to use a specific inlay as my trademark. If I did use my name, I certainly would not put a "The" with it, although I think it was just marketing on Gibson's part as a way to distinguish their product.

However, I do own an old italian violin with "The Loaravarious" on the label......

Quote Originally Posted by zookster View Post
    This is one comical thread, y'all.
    Yeah, it's amazing what you can read at The Mandolin Cafe...

Like The David Grisman Interview...

Let's face it, we've all got The The Virus....

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Oh yeah, I didn't even think about the sound! I'll have to try a "The" and see how it sounds!
    lol -- but make sure you call it "The Hamlett", since "The John" might yield an entirely different sound than you are looking for.
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Oct-04-2010 at 2:09pm.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Oh no, you didn't just say that! I'm sure you've seen them, and I'm not about to post any of them, but if you google image toilet guitar you will see a ton of items along those lines.

I say kick it up a notch: "The Amazing...", "The Incredible..."
    Or try false humility: "Just a..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    I say kick it up a notch: "The Amazing...", "The Incredible..."
    Or try false humility: "Just a..."
    "Yet another..." would be funny.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

I still think naming an instrument after your little daughter is very cool. But for humor's sake she might have had a nick name like 'potato bug'. Or maybe a pony tail logo like a Nike 'swoop'. I know of a mandolin called a V8. Name them after cars, what a great idea...

I'm going to come out with a line of Loar copies that say just "The" After all that's my initials.
    Tom H. Ellis
    Ellis Mandolins
    Austin, TX
    http://www.ellismandolins.com

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ellisppi View Post
    I'm going to come out with a line of Loar copies that say just "The" After all that's my initials.
    Maybe your great-great-grandfather worked with Lloyd, so he got his initials above the "Gibson". Now we know the answer.

Wouldn't it be more accurate if the headstock used the indefinite article, "A GIBSON" as opposed to "THE GIBSON".... I mean, heck, it is a Gibson, it's not the Gibson, because there isn't just one. Sheesh.
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

I take that back ... my Gibsons do say "The Gibson" ... on the tail piece ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4308.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	63297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-century_fullfront..jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	63298  

Quote Originally Posted by toabetterworld View Post
    Is putting "The" on your headstock classic or conceited?
    The worst example of the "The" has to go to when Ohio State changed their name to The Ohio State University. Now that's arrogant if you ask me, but then again I'm a Hoosier. The Gibson (and The Fonz for that matter) just sounds right to me. The Ohio State University...not so much.

I'm not exactly a role model, but if I ever build a mandolin from scratch, I'll inlay "The Juan" on the headstock.

Blog Entries

Perhaps that should be "El Juan," or "El Uno."

mando_steve - I agree. That is weird, and in Amish parlance, prideful. It seems every year more and more NFL players add the "The" to their college names in their introductory bits at the start of games, presumably to emulate OSU. I think the worst is University Of Miami, which players refer to as just "The U." As if everyone is supposed to know what that means. Apparently not Utah.

Blog Entries

I just learned that 'the' is usually used instead of 'my' in Germanic languages. So one would say 'the hand' and not 'my hand'. I think they would also say 'the Gibson' instead of just 'Gibson'. A lot of folks were recent immigrants back in the 1920's.

I'd like to have one that says "The Point", so whenever someone mutters "What's the point?" I could just point at it.