Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D'Addario Introduces Flatwound Mandolin Strings

Blog Entries

Default D'Addario Introduces Flatwound Mandolin Strings

I can't find these for sale yet. Also, I don't think they are even referenced on the D'Addario web site (?)

I'd love to hear back from anyone who finds and tries these.

Also, I wonder if they will be available in gauges other than the '74' gauge? I'd be very interested in trying 'FW73' strings if they exist!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Default Re: D'Addario Introduces Flatwound Mandolin Strings

I tried some prototypes of these strings a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. The felt great and had what I'd consider that standard flat wound sound to them. Heavy on the string fundamental and low on the overtones. I do know that D'Addario is looking into putting together other combinations. My guess is they are going to see how these do and go from there.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm hoping they do introduce "73." We started this project three years ago, hoping to create a D'addario version of the JM11 (or TI Mediums). Initially our prototypes were 10-34, and they just weren't rich enough, especially on the G string. My researchers (Charlie one of them) suggested the more robust D and G, and this became the end result, 11-36. I think the market will be ready for a lighter gauge too, but they only wanted to try one set at a time.

My big push is for a D'addario OM/mandola set of the same construction. They felt the mandolin set would be more marketable, especially since I'd already broken ground with the Labella equivalent. If these do well, I can see them expanding.

These are available now, so push your favorite local string dealer to stock them. D'addario had 360 sets when my retail stores ordered them earlier this morning.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Oct-06-2010 at 12:36pm.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Interestingly, I had asked about these when ordering stock a little while back, and I was told that they only made the flattops. When I saw this today, I looked at the online product info, and they aren't there. So I called and the first guy said that this string didn't exist. When I told him the model number, he connected me to someone who told me they do exist, and are available now, but only in medium guage. I'm ordering some. I don't have them yet, but I do hope I like them, and of so, that they keep these in the regular lineup. It would be great to have a good sounding flatwound string from a company so easy to deal with as D'Addario.
    bobby burns

Does anyone know if these have a wound "A" string?

garded

I guess we are all jones'n for something different in strings.

After 20yrs of J74's, then 5yrs of EXP 74's and then 1yr of J75's, I was totally disillusioned. I didn't want to end up with so many 74's in the dump as a month just don't get it. But the EXP's while they lasted 3 times longer, just didn't have the tone I was looking for. The 75's were way closer, especially the .0115 E and .016 A. But there was that horrible long break in time on the lower courses, where I couldn't hardly stand them. And if you watch the threads, that seems pretty common.

Then there was a long thread on the Sam Bush Monel's. But they have 011 and 014, which just sound wimpy now. And they are plain steel. But oh, the Monel .026 D and .041 G had a tenth of the break in, and are cruisin' longer than the EXP's did, with just the bottom end I was looking for. And all with no coating!!

And from the thread about somebody getting rid of left over strings.....it would seem by the comments there are a lot of us in the same predicament. I've seen a couple of others saying they dumped the EXP's for other strings. I wish D'Addario, or somebody, could come out with basically the EXP75 set, but with monel's 26/41 on the D and G. I think they would have a winner, and I'd buy a dozen sets right now!

so much for wishful thinking.....

Blog Entries

D'Addario Flattops pretty much fix the break-in and longevity issue, don't they? Less bright at first, and less tone loss, and a meatier bottom than Thomastiks. Not the real flatwound sound if that's really what you want, though.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I find it strange that so many players remain tied to whatever is being foisted (forced) on them in these pre-packaged sets. There is not a one available that I would use. Every type of combination that you could desire is readily available, but just not in a package that says "mandolin strings" on it.
    As Niles says: Free your Mind, your hands will follow...."
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I was getting all hot & excited until i read the proposed price of $29.99 US (£18.86 UK). I suppose that the price reflects the time & expenditure that D'Addario have payed out in order to develop the new strings. It'll be interesting to see what discounts outlets such as Janet Davis can offer if she gets them in. Currently J74's are 1/3 of the RRP at $4.57 US ,so i'll stick with those for the time being.
    Having just read the D'Addario ad.,it doesn't state what the flat winding material is. I hope it's Bronze,but they don't say so
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Street price is probably going to end up between $13-15 a set.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I just e-mailed D'Addario direct to ask about the outer flat-winding material. I just hope it's not Stainles Steel or Monel - i'll postback when i get their answer,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Available at Elderly for $13.35, expected date in stock: 10/22/10.

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/FW74.htm

They are actually priced quite a bit lower than comparable flat wounds.
    bobby burns

So it looks like this particular set doesn't have a wound A string. With that being said I am currently using a prototype set that had ALL wound strings. I said had because the E broke as I was bringing it up to pitch. So far I really like this set. Its a little lighter than the FT74s that are shipping now. Nice even response across all the strings and very stable tuning-wise. I'm looking forward to trying out the FT74s.

Thanks goes out to Ted for pushing D'Addario to get these to the market.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mando.player View Post
    ...snip...the E broke as I was bringing it up to pitch...snip...
    Is string breakage while stringing/tuning a common problem with flatwound strings?
    I had my new Morris A4 (currently somewhere between Oregon & Ohio on her way to me) set up with the JM11 strings. This will be my first experience with flatwounds, and it was also Sonny's first experience with the JM11s. He told me that he broke two strings while setting up the A4 (fortunately, I had sent him two sets).
    I'm just wondering if this is something to watch out for in the future.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

A wound E string, which was the case here, is a rarity. It's the first time I'd ever come across one. Suffice it to say, I was not surprised that it broke. Disappoited, but not surprised. In general, no flatwounds don't break more often than round wounds. In this case I feel the manufacturer was trying something different and possibly pushed it a little too far. Or, maybe I just got a bum string. It happens.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

Elderly has now updated the arrival date of these to 10/11, likely not reflected on their web site until tomorrow. This directly from Stan Werbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    We started this project three years ago, hoping to create a D'addario version of the JM11 (or TI Mediums). Initially our prototypes were 10-34, and they just weren't rich enough, especially on the G string. My researchers (Charlie one of them) suggested the more robust D and G, and this became the end result, 11-36...These are available now, so push your favorite local string dealer to stock them. D'addario had 360 sets when my retail stores ordered them earlier this morning.
    Ted -- How do these compare to your JM-11's? Also, will you be carrying these at jazzmando.com as well, or should we go through your retail stores' web site if we want to buy them from you?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A lot of the questions are answered in today's Tips and Tricks weekly column on my website. These are steel wound (not bronze) and I won't be selling them personally on my site. I'm serious about showing their sales department this is a valid line for them to expand, so I encourage everyone to flood their favorite string and accessory suppliers with requests and purchases to try them. Just try them. If the initial entry goes well, I can see them expanding into sets with wound A's, lighter gauges, and best of all, other mandolin family series. I hope they let me continue to pilot this; that will be more my role.

I can't give a definitive answer on how they match up to the JMs. For me, they are close, maybe a tad brighter, but my testers, longtime JM users gave me five varying, slightly conflicting opinions. None of them didn't not like them, though.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Eschliman View Post
    .... None of them didn't not like them, though.
    A triple negative? Now I am really confused!

I think I'll hold out for the wound A version, though ... the plain A is the aspect of the JM11 set that I least don't not like.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Excellent article Ted. Thanks.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

No reply as yet to my query direct to D'Addario,but Ted seems to have answered it - the outer windings are Chrome,not Bronze.
    I use D'Addario Chromes on my Tokai elec.Guitar. Under the fingers they are super smooth to say the very least,& they should feel the same on a Mandolin,except for the additional tension.That said, they won't be making an appearance on my Mandolins as i can't imagine them having the warmth of tone & the sustain that the extra mass of Bronze gives,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

i don't believe there's such an animal as a true flat wound bronze string.....at least not that i've seen.

of course there are bronze strings that have been "flattened" or "ground" but every true flat wound i've seen is either wound in nickel, chrome, or stainless steel w nickel being the warmest of the lot.

i'm looking fwd to giving these D'Ads a whirl and kinda intrigued by the heavier G and D's.....but yeah, i too hanker for the wound A. maybe down the rd they'll offer it.

fwiw....i too am a fan of their FW "CHROMES" gtr and bass strings. have 'em on my '66 GUILD Starfire II and on my '63 P Bass.
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

Cool stuff. Same price ($13-15) as the (less-bottom end) LaBellas so it's worth a shot. I love flatwounds on mandolin... really great for a group setting where you want a lot of clarity and more mellow than bright on your bottom. I hope they don't sound spongy, though. There's so much variation in tone depending on the maker when it comes to flats.

How long are the strings and can they be used on a 23" OM?

If I remember correctly, flatwound strings tend to have smaller diameters but produce the sound of a string with a larger diameter because the core size is the same. Is that correct?