Thread: Anybody tried this one

Default Anybody tried this one

http://www.brindleysmusic.com/p-1602...tic-inlay.aspx

Just wondering. Or what's the best deal on a zouk other than this one?

Default Re: Anybody tried this one

this is made by Luna Guitars... a company that was started by a woman to make guitars that are slightly smaller bodied and lighter weight (particularly the electrics), and decorated, so as to appeal to women players. I just checked out their website, and they seem to be expanding their line of instruments to include a couple of models of mandolins (an a and an f), banjos, and this bouzouki.

I played a couple of their guitars in a shop a year or so ago and found them to be ok. Not great, but ok. I'll qualify that by saying that it is likely that the ones I played were on their low end, and had "select" spruce rather than solid spruce tops. It looks like they've added quite a lot of solid wood guitars, that seem reasonably well appointed. I have no experience with their bouzouki... but I'd love to hear if someone else does. I do like the trinity soundhole design (they have it on a line of guitars too).
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Actually the Luna story is a bit suspect, although it's a nice marketing ploy. It's owned by the same people that own Dean Guitars. They are in the same building, they have the same corporate headquarters, and common ownership. I did some real research on these folks a few weeks ago because I was looking at one of their instruments. It's marketing at it's finest.

I think that Trinity soundhole would be a problem if you wanted to install a pickup down the line and I question the wisdom of using the word "Trinity" in the model name given their primary price point competition in bouzoukis. It looks pretty nice.
    Steve

You get what you pays for...

If the OM sounds anything like their guitars that I tried, then I would advice looking elsewhere.

You can find a brand new Johnson bouzouki on E Bay for less than a Luna bouzouki. Just look for a seller that sells the bouzouki without mentioning the brand (he told me he can't do it because he's selling the instruments at a lower price than it is allowed by Johnson).
    I bought from this seller a Johnson Octave mandolin and it is fabulous.

mike- thanks for that info. it was clear that they were heavy on niche-marketing
    and that they put a lot more into the aesthetics than the construction
    do you know if there is any truth to their origin story? was it bought by Dean? Or did they start it up? Just wondering.

meanwhile... has anyone played this zouk?
    Karen Escovitz
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Otter OM #1
    Brian Dean OM #32
    Old Wave Mandola #372
    Phoenix Neoclassical #256
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!

Their start up is listed on the corporate parent company's website, it doesn't look like it was purchased. I was intrigued by the story but once you see the time line and the connection you make the assumption that it's marketing and marketing alone. Not that marketing is bad. What I hoped to find out was that it was true because it was cool idea. I just don't think it is. The giveaway for me was they had a deal that they were giving away an amplifier with all guitars with a list price of $500.00 or more purchased in a certain period and that applied to Luna and Dean guitars. Then I started looking because I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Their start up is listed on the corporate parent company's website, it doesn't look like it was purchased. I was intrigued by the story but once you see the time line and the connection you make the assumption that it's marketing and marketing alone. Not that marketing is bad. What I hoped to find out was that it was true because it was cool idea. I just don't think it is. The giveaway for me was they had a deal that they were giving away an amplifier with all guitars with a list price of $500.00 or more purchased in a certain period and that applied to Luna and Dean guitars. Then I started looking because I was curious.
    So basically Luna is a Dean in a nice suit? A Pig Wearing Lipstick?

I'd say it's more like Dean in a dress.
    Steve

Pretty much. Is seriously doubt they are coming from different factories.

I just purchased a Hora for very cheap. A bit of work on the fret board and bridge and it is playing well and sounding nice.