Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Alison Stephens

nigelgatherer

Default Re: Alison Stephens

Sounds pretty good on mandolin too, but difficult. I think it would sound at its best on the beast. Lovely piece, and lovely thoughts. Thanks for posting it, John.

"Bob, I hadn't thought to try the piece on guitar but you are right."

I believe that she taught classical guitar although I do not know if she ever played the instrument professionally.

Someone with the proper connections could perhaps forward a copy of John's piece to Craig Ogden, the guitarist.
    Robert A. Margo

I played through it on mandocello last night. Using the cello, and playing a 5th down, darkens the sound a bit so the result might have been a bit more melancholy than intended -- or perhaps it was the circumstances. Either way, it is a lovely piece. Thanks for sharing it with us, John.
    David Westwick.

Well, this is embarrassing...

When I posted my story about Ali and "The Autumn After" yesterday I posted the wrong version of the piece! What's different?

I originally sent Ali three versions with slightly different titles. The one attached here is the one she really chose, with "the Beast" in quotation marks.

Musically, the f naturals in measure 24 and 26 should really be f sharps. When I sent Ali the music I included my own clumsy recording of the piece. I play f sharps on that recording but I don't actually know if Ali noticed or not. The f natural sounds "wrong" to me but they might have been just right for Ali.

I would have mentioned it to her if I had heard a recording of her playing the piece and I'm sure we would have had a humorous exchange about my foibles as an amateur composer. So, for the record, I am attaching what I think is a correct copy of the piece. (I've also removed a flat sign before the b flat in measure 9, as it now looks redundant to me.

Those of you who have already printed out the music can make easy corrections.

Thanks again for the many kind comments and for trying the piece out on various instruments. I've played it on mandolin many times myself (even though it's a bit cramped in places) and I imagine it would play nicely on mandocello (thanks, David) or CGDA mandola as well.

John G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Autumnafter3.pdf  

Dear Friends,

Here is the video of the "Rêverie de Poète" by Giuseppe Manente (1867-1941) that we performed as our tribute to our dear friend Alison at our 20th anniversary concert.

Thanks Alex,

these were very special minutes in the jubilee concert. It is played (and conducted) with so much love and respect !

Margriet

Lovely Alex, just lovely.
    "The effect is pretty at first... It is disquieting to find that there are nineteen people in England who can play the mandolin; and I sincerely hope the number may not increase."

- George Bernard Shaw, Times of London, December 12, 1893

..... for Ali ....

sorely missed, not to be forgotten.

Kevin Macleod

Thank you, thank you for sharing this beautiful tune and performance in memory of Alison.

John G.

Very nice Kevin and Co, I know that Ali's mum and Mitch(Ali's partner) would be touched by this, so I've forwarded the link to them.
    Thanks again,
    Best wishes
    ian