Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alison Stephens

Blog Entries

Default Alison Stephens

Sad news received just now. Alison Stephens has entered hospice in Arthur Rank Hospice, Mill Road, Cambridge. As many of you know, this is her third bout with cancer. She's in our thoughts today. So sad. This news was provided by her mother who forwarded to some contacts in the UK who then forwarded to someone at CMSA who contacted me.

Default Re: Alison Stephens

She's in my prayers.

Many prayers for Alison!
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

She and her family will be in my prayers.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

So sad and such a talented and giving person. We had a few very nice email "conversations" over the years. My heart goes out to her.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I would have met Ali in person, for the first time, a week from now, next Friday, in the Netherlands.

She will surely be with us in spirit, while fighting her battle across the channel; our thoughts, too, will be with her. Speriamo...

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Yes, Alison is absolutely in our thoughts and prayers...

Alex

Blog Entries

That's a blow to the belly to read. Thoughts and prayers to Alison, her friends and family.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Dear Ali,

Please stay strong and pull through this tough time. Ali, you are in all of our thoughts & prayers.

Chris.....

Allison and her family are in my thoughts and prayers. I know she has fought a very hard fight with cancer. If we could only find a cure.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Alison is an amazing person, and I know that as the members of CMSA gather next week in Seattle we will all be thinking of her.

John G.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

This is truly distressing news. Like many of us following (and pulling) for Ali, I had thought/hoped she was ahead on this fight. She is such an indomitable personality and an inspirational one in many ways. I am rather in tears right now. Scott, you seem to have gotten this word through a circuitous route. Is their some way to extend our best thoughts and feeling to Ali and her family?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I was wondering how is she doing lately and was afraid of receiving news like this. Damn cancer! I will hope and pray for Ali!!!

Thinking of you Ali and hoping for the best. It was great to see you again at Bruchsal last June.

We're all mortal, but she is so young for this. It's sad beyond words. I add my prayers for Alison and her loved ones. May the Lord grant a miracle.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

Mike Marshall asked to to post this for him:

- Very sad news indeed. I met her this past year in Germany at the Euro Mandolin Festival. She was spunky and bright and full of life. I will hope that that energy is with her now. What a sweet lady. We're sending it to you Alison.

My thought are with Alison and her family at this time. God grant you a full recovery please.

Keith

Oh no, such terrible news.
    Alison, please pull through all of this.

Thank you for all the beautiful recordings and publications.
    We all adore you.
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

I agree with Jamie...though I didn't know Alison personally, I'd come to think of her as not necessarily a friend but someone I knew through this forum and was pulling for as well. This news is truly saddening, but we all need to remember that sometimes the miracle isn't a cure, but that we've had the past few years of her music, talent, and energy to enjoy at all. I would also encourage everyone to consider hospice an active care choice (as opposed to a passive act of "giving in"). Sometimes hospice truly is the best choice for patients to make. Of course, on the heels of Butch's fight and passing this is truly saddening.

Alison, I will be praying for your comfort and peace for you and your family. Thank you for the gifts you've given us over the years!
    Chuck

Although I have only known Ali for the past 18 months, both as friends and as my mandolin teacher. she has had a profound effect on my life. Her influence across the world is immense, and I am sure that her huge number of friends will be totally devastated by the speed at which her third onset of cancer has struck.

I first became aware of her latest illness during my last lesson with her, shortly before the Dartington International Music Festival at which she presented some brilliant workshops in the morning sessions, followed by joint ensemble work with Craig Ogden's guitarists in the afternoon, in spite of being in unbelievable pain throughout. Indeed, she insisted in presenting a premiere piece with Craig to a packed audience, and then travelled to Edinburgh to give two superb concerts at the Fringe. Afterwards a small group of us laughed and joked in a local bar nearby, and there was no inkling of what was to come. I still cannot get my head around it all.

All my thoughts and prayers are with her.

Eric

That is shocking and saddening news. I really enjoyed reading the recent article about her on this board. Her playing really amazes me, and listening to her recordings a joy. Alison and her family are in my prayers.
    Cheers,

Brian

Angels don't play harps, they play mandolins

Very sad news.
    All my best wishes for her to win this third fight as soon as possible.
    Pietro Bono

Blog Entries

An update that came a bit more directly just now.

------

Ali's condition is not at all good, treatment has stopped as there is nothing further that can be done, but in the hospice she is in kind hands and not suffering. Ali's mum Jackie, sends her thanks for all of the kind words that she has read on the Cafe and it is comforting for her to know that Alison's music and personality has brought joy and happiness to so many people and that so many are thinking of her and praying for her at this time. Jackie kindly asks that people do not try to contact the hospice as she fears that they will be overwhelmed with enquiries.

Ali's mum has asked Ian Steel (Cafe member trebleclef528 --link takes you to page for sending PMs) to deal with any messages or enquiries from Cafe members.

If the hospice nurses in the UK are anything like the hospice nurses in the US she is in good hands. They are angels on this earth. My thoughts and prayers go out to Alison and her loved ones.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

This is sad news indeed. Alison has been a very talented musician and by all accounts a wonderful person. We had one brief interchange several months back in which she was as pleasant as could be to a nearly complete stranger as one could wish. For someone who is probably the most respected and renowned person I have met through the Café to take the time, consideration, and humor she did with me - not quite a nobody but nowhere near as accomplished a musician as she - speaks volumes of the kind of person she chose to be and the way she has lived her life. I will now cherish that memory forever. As much as I wish her well and hope for recovery, it sounds as if this will be for naught. I am grief stricken. God speed. The Angel Band will be adding an overqualified member to its ranks, much too soon.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!