Thread: Tc tm 625

Default Tc tm 625

I played one of these at the Saga booth at IBMA. I was impressed with the workmanship, tone and playability, especially considering the price. Was wondering if any of you CBOMers had any comments on them.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Tc tm 625

Very few seen or heard in the wild. There have been a couple of threads about them in the past. Many seemed to feel at this price point that you could do better with a handbuilt instrument like Bill Peterson's stuff. That may or may not be true...it's not a given for me, but literally only 2 or three people who post here have ever seen or heard one. I think this forum is a major intersection for people who play these instruments and to have so little contact from this community doesn't bode well for these things. I would be open to them, but I'd really like to play one before buying.

Could you give a bit more detail on what you liked about it and the price they quoted you?
    Steve

What is the TM 625 model ? Is it a mandola, an octave, a bouzouki ? Thanks.

gerardo, when I first looked at it, I thought is was a mandola, but after checking the tuning with a nearby guitar player, it was an octave mandolin. I should have been more specific in my op. I assumed that it was a known item with CBOMers. The 6xx series is relatively new and is an attempt to raise the bar and price over their standard more pedestrian 3xx series. Maybe some of you more knowledgeable CBOMers might give some more specific differences between the models. They consider the 6XX to be their "Professional" series. I hope I have not misspoken. As I was not looking to buy, but was just curious, I did not notice the price or haggle.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Well I have a Trinity College Professional series TM 475 mandola and it is wonderful.
    It really looks like it was built by a luthier (I know it's not) the finish is perfect and the carved
    top and back are awesome. Also the choice of woods is excellent. I cannot compare the tone with other mandolas
    because this is the first and only mandola I ever played, but it sounds beautiful, full and resonant to my ears.
    Being the Tm625 part of the same Professional series, I guess that it is a high quality instrument too.