Thread: Firewire Strings? Do they still exist?

Default Firewire Strings? Do they still exist?

I had left the mandolin world for a while and am coming back to it now. To my dismay, I find that I cannot find any more Firewire mandolin strings for sale. Does anyone know what happened to this company? Any help would be appreciated.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firewire Strings? Do they still exist?

I'd been on the site several times only to find it not functioning. Looks like there back in business, everythings dated 10/05/2010. Great strings, even if the price did go up $5.

Thanks for the help. Wow! $22 for a set? Wonder what happened. Is it the economy or what?
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15

I used to use Firewires. Now I use Curt Mangun strings. They rock.

I was thinking of trying the Mangun strings when I thought Firewires were no longer available. How do the Manguns compare?
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15

I believe the Firewire Strings changed ownership and it appears that the website is being rebuilt.I have had no response to 2 e-mails and there is no telephone number.I couldn't complete an order for strings and am comcerned that the info' I put on the order form is secure.
    I'll try again,since I used their strings since the company started operations and could find none better.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNickel View Post
    I was thinking of trying the Mangun strings when I thought Firewires were no longer available. How do the Manguns compare?
    I use the PB medium Manguns (they are uncoated) and they seem, to my ear, richer in tone, yet more lively than the Firewires. It is hard to compare in a way because Mangun does not (as yet) offer a coated mandolin string and the Firewires are more money. The Firewires are really expensive and I don't like to put that kind of money into a set of strings. I like the Manguns better than J74s and they last longer. They seem to last (for me) in between the J74s and the coated EXPs and they sound better than the EXPs also. The Manguns stay in tune very well and are very powerful. I can also play very expressively with them.

I buy them from: http://www.musicgrowshere.com/blog1/

Just ordered some sets of Manguns from Teri. I had 15 sets of Firewires, now only one set left. I'll be able to do a comparision. I hope they work out, price is certainly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Edwards View Post
    Just ordered some sets of Manguns from Teri. I had 15 sets of Firewires, now only one set left. I'll be able to do a comparision. I hope they work out, price is certainly better.

I'm interested to hear you're opinion on the comparison. These are the next two strings I want to try out.
    Ellis F5 Deluxe #130
    Member of the Bluegrass Regulators
    http://dancrary.com/

I'll have to agree with you Cheryl. I received my Curt Mangun strings and out them on. Remind me of the GHS A270's but with finer wrappings like the Firewire. The settle in quickly and have none of that new string sound. Basses are fat and trebles cut through nicely. A well balanced sounding set of strings. Teri got them here PDQ too. I'll put on the last set of Firewires when these run their course for comparison.

has anyone found out if you can buy Firewire strings if so where.

I am very sad to announce that FireWire Strings pretty much ended around 2008 when I left the company as the sales rep. Since then there have been a few brands that seem to offer a similar product like Ernie Ball's new Paradigm line, but I am not sure who may be doing stings like that for acoustic instruments. I have resorted to using Elixer these days for acoustic guitar and GHS Boomers for electric guitar and bass which are the closest I have found to the FireWire sound..

Bill Compeau-Ark Instruments