Thread: Ricky Skaggs tuning on "Get Up John"

Default Ricky Skaggs tuning on "Get Up John"

Hey y'all, I haven't been on the forum for a few years & I think there was a thread on this before ."Get Up John" on Bluegrass Rules...it sounds like the individual courses on Ricky's mando are tuned maybe a 5th apart ie; g/d d/a a/e e/b. I don't know if this would even be enharmonic. I have an instructional vid. by Frank Wakefield & there might be altered tunings on that..If any of you know the tuning, will you please pass it along?
    Thanks, Brian

Default Re: Ricky Skaggs tuning on "Get Up John"

hey brian, it is in a cross tuning. F#/A-- D/D ---A/A--- A/E---hope that helps. good luck!

thats low to high, (down a half step from G to F#.... then, up a whole step to A)....D and A courses stay the same, and you drop one E course all the way down to a unison A....and keep the other the same. good luck.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

For the record, Ricky is using the same tuning as the Man (Mon) he's paying tribute to. That tuning has been used by a few others, notably Doyle Lawson on the BG Album Band's version of "Stoney Lonesome" (also in A, of course).

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

I do believe the E course is tuned A/D, not A/E....the essential melody line requires it.
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bromley View Post
    I do believe the E course is tuned A/D, not A/E....the essential melody line requires it.
    True.

Yes, 'tis AD. I wish I had two spare mandolins to keep them tuned for "Get Up John" and the Watson/McCoury version of "Black Mountain Rag." I'd love to do these tunes at jams, but with only one mandolin tuning and re-tuning is a pain.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bromley View Post
    youre right mike, my bad...

Quote Originally Posted by nick a View Post
    hey brian, it is in a cross tuning. F#/A-- D/D ---A/A--- A/E---hope that helps. good luck!
    ...Correction here -nick a,...the E strings are tuned down to A and "D", and I ask what is wrong with a double "D" ? ...although, I don't see what is such a fascination with GUJ, since there are about 1000 other tunes an aspiring mandolinist should learn and perfect BEFORE he tries GUJ !