Thread: Matching the mandolin to the music

Default Matching the mandolin to the music

Long Story: For years I have found myself as one of several guitar players in a group, all strumming the same chord, with one person playing lead. Occasionally, there will be a “real” guitar player to liven things up, but in general, my jam sessions are kind of boring. I would kill to play with a mandolin and/or fiddle player, but don’t foresee any of my friends branching out into other instruments (or creating a band with other musicians). As such, I’m taking it upon myself to learn the mandolin to add some versatility and punctuation to the stuff we like to play (plus I think it would be fun!). As a guitar player, I've enjoyed playing blues, folk, rock, and western (or “white country blues”). For example, I like to play stuff like John Prine, Nancy Griffith, Patsy Cline, Michelle Shocked, Little Feat, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, James Taylor, Lyell Lovette, Neil Young, Eagles, etc. I enjoy bluegrass, but don’t really play it. I would, however, like to learn bluegrass and add it to the overall repertoire-smorgasbord.

Short Story/Question: So, based on the kind of music I like to play (blues, folk, rock, and western), what would be the most versatile mandolin style: A-w/oval, A-w/f-hole, F-w/oval, and F-w/f-hole? Does the Arc-top vs. flat-top thing matter for music style?

Again, many thanks to all the folks in the Café for having taken the time to help me choose my first mandolin! I’m getting closer to a final decision, but every time I learn something new or talk to another musician, I have yet more questions!

Cheers!

Fuzzy…

Default Re: Matching the mandolin to the music

You're going to get a thousand different answers.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

I would not concern myself for a moment about connecting a style of instrument to a style of music, at least within the parameters you've laid out. Look at any style of music you like and you'll find someone—often many players—who really played it well and with great results on any mandolin imaginable. F-5s deliver great bluegrass, classical, blues, etc. You name it. Same for Martin A's and Gibson A's. It's far more about the player than the gear.

Two styles of mandolins that do have some limitations in terms of musical applications might be solidbody electrics, resophonics and roundback Neapolitan-style mandolins. For what you're interested in, look for any wooden mandolin that speaks to you and feels good to play.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

What Paul said.

I did the same thing, i stressed over F and Oval holes for awhile, then sat down and listened to some, played some and figured, I'm so early on in this whole adventure that it really doesnt matter right now. I heard a long neck oval hybrid that was just the right blend of the two "standard" styles and bought it. That doesn't mean I don't cruise the classifieds every few days, but I'm happy with it and I know that I haven't brought out 1/1000th of what this thing can do. Once I understand this instrument better, then I'll make a more educated guess on what, if anything, I need next.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Blog Entries

Answer A: Any style mandolin can play any style of music in the hands of the right player.
    Answer B: Arched-topped, A-Style (for value) mandolins with F-holes are the most versatile tone-wise.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

What everyone else has said, mostly...

On a "macro" level, some types of mandolins are rather difficult to fit into some musical situations; bowlbacks don't make the best Bluegrass mandolins for example, so just looking around and listening to what types of mandos people use for various types of music can get you in the ballpark.
    On a "micro" level, it is the player who matches the mandolin to the music more than it is the instrument itself, so once you're in the ballpark with your mandolin choice, it's up to you.

Having said that (sometimes a cliche just fits...), expert players develop preferences for types of mandolins for various types of music, but that's for later...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Answer A: Any style mandolin can play any style of music in the hands of the right player.
    Answer B: Arched-topped, A-Style (for value) mandolins with F-holes are the most versatile tone-wise.
    Pretty much my feelings exactly.

if you are playing in a jam or gig, quite a lot of the subtle nuances each different mandolin has to offer will be lost in the other instruments/room commotion/banjo. on the other hand if you are laying a track in a sound booth with a great quality mic then you might want to suit the instrument to the song more

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeerGoCubs View Post
    I'm so early on in this whole adventure that it really doesnt matter right now...
    that makes sense...I might be over analyzing. I should just get started and revisit this question in a couple years.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Fuzzy...

Blog Entries

I think it might be worth considering the context of where you're playing the mandolin when buying, though.

Sitting around home or playing with a couple friends acoustically is a lot different than a crowded jam/session. Playing into a mic with other amplified instruments is a whole lot different than something played alone for yourself. Each of these doesn't have one single solution ... but these considerations I think are important is you want an instrument that works well in the context you want to play it.

The punch that is vital in bluegrass isn't as important in another context. The sustain of an oval hole is somewhat lost in loud context, but lovely.

While this is useful to consider, I wouldn't get hung up at all about styles at this point. Getting something that sounds good to you [good enough so you can ignore anyone's negative comments] and more importantly is very playable and fits nice in your hands is far more important. If it's a pleasure to play it, you will.

--- In your case ... are you playing with people on acoustics, or plugged in - and what would be the instrument lineup? Is it a strum fest [do you need punch to be heard] or does it allow for sustain and quiet dynamics?

I'd consider these questions when picking one out - perhaps have a friend come shop with you and test mandolins against them playing one of the guitars there. See how it sounds with something else, if that's how you'll be playing it. That all said ... this should be a secondary consideration to the playability/tone first concerns.

"While this is useful to consider, I wouldn't get hung up at all about styles at this point. Getting something that sounds good to you [good enough so you can ignore anyone's negative comments] and more importantly is very playable and fits nice in your hands is far more important. If it's a pleasure to play it, you will."

Agreed! It took me 2 years of learning to play folk music on a bowlback to figure out what I wanted just among bowl back shapes and sounds. Get something comfortable to play that sounds good to you and relax- everything else you need to know you will discover along the way.