Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

DON'T THROW AWAY THAT CASE YOUR CAT PEED IN!!! Rumor has it that cat pee is the ESSENTIAL key ingredient in Charlie Derrington's TOP SECRET DISTRESSED LOAR PERFUME mix.

Think about it...you've got an 80 year-old instrument that's been kicking around gawd knows where and at some point along the line, somebody's cat got in that case and TOOK A PEE!

Yes friends, if you want that essential distressed loar smell, that scent that loar afficianados inhale with relish from a true OLD LOAR, you've got to have some cat piss.

And not just any old cat will truely suffice. The ideal VINTAGE LOAR CAT PISS will come from some old barn tomcat, fed on barn mice and milk straight from the udder.

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Like I said earlier, my Calton had a cat pee in it but I did get the scent out with lots of scrubbing and chemicals. #Also, lots of Febreeze and I let the case dry and air out for a few days. #I definitely wouldn't throw it out!

If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

Been there done that..we've had four or five cats over the past 30 years..and every one of them makes a beeline for an open case
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Hey, I can top this story- many years ago, my college girlfriend's cat gave birth to a whole litter of kittens in her guitar case!

I think she had lent the guitar out or it was being fixed or something.

I'm allergic to cats, I'm leaving this thread and going back to haiku (as opposed to going back to work. . . )

Neal

Looking like she is on a guilt trip. Caught looking for a place to sleep. It was available in the next case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Izzi.JPG 
Views:	421 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	1137  
    Play em like you know em!

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

Name:	alex_in_case_2.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	1138  

"I swear, I've done nothing..."

Name:	121_2167_IMG.JPG 
Views:	416 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	1139  
    "I'm a farmer with a mandolin and a high tenor voice."

And all along I thought that I had a unique cat. Heck! I guess that Maggie is just plain old cat, but then again, that's why we love her.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Harley

Name:	HARLEY3.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	1142  
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net

Hi JiminRussi, can you guess what my Gandalf cat is?.....He is a Russian Blue. I thought you would appreciate, I know that I do because he is the most loving cat.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

I have 4 very nosey, curious cats. The whole kitty-in-a-case thing started about 3 years ago for me when I bought my first Taylor guitar. My only female cat made a dash for the case everytime I opened it! I thought she was nuts and just liked the Taylor case- but no. My most recent case purchase was last week when I bought a new D-shape case for my newly restored violin. As soon as I got home I opened the case to play a few tunes. 20 minutes later I return to the case to find one of the cats laying inside. I'm hoping to purchase a Pegasus mando case in the next few months, and I'm sure my cats will take more than a few naps in it! My only complaint with all of this is the hair that is left in my cases as a reminder of who REALLY runs the house! Cats rule. P.S. They also LOVE instrument strings! Anytime I change a string on an instrument, at least one of my cats is sitting next to me anticipating the moment I lay the old string down. Putting ON the new string is whole 'nother ordeal. Ever try to put a new string on while a cat bats at your hand the entire time? not easy!

"The real question is, do you root for the fox in that song? Or are you horrified that the goose and the duck are being dragged off to their death, which is described in detail." -Chris Thile

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolinquent For This Useful Post:

this is the last photograph i got to make of my beloved Kelsie, who died last fall. i had been out shooting photographs at a contra dance for a friend, and when i returned, i stayed up late practing the mandolin. when i got up from the couch to put my mando away, i found Kelsie in the case (under the lamplight, which was warm). i found my camera, loaded some high speed film, and shot a roll in what seem liked three minutes. this is the last photo from that roll. kelsie died about 8 days after this (acute kidney failure), and i actually processed this roll after she was gone. she was my little love for 16-1/2 years, and i am glad to have these images for my final remembrance of her.....kim

sorry, i didn't get the photo of kelsie posted along with my note...so sorry! kim

Name:	Kelsie_last_roll_shot_E.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1146  

one more photo, if you'll allow me...you can see Kelsie's face a bit more in this shot...she surely did love that mando case. kim

Name:	kelsie_case.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1147  

My cats have always believed an open guitar or mandolin case is the best seat in the house. Here's "Newt" relaxing in my old mando case which seems to be a custom fit for him.

Name:	Newt.JPG 
Views:	594 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1148  

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandoVin For This Useful Post:

nytesspiral 

Mandovin thats a GREAT picture! I laughed out loud!

I absolutely LOVE this thread, and am saving all the pictures. Seven cats currently reside here with my husband and me. Cats are the coolest creatures on Earth, imo. I would love to be able to share pictures of them with you, but still have to figure out how to accomplish this without teaching them any new bad habits. You see, all my instruments are kept in the only room of the house that's "off limits" to them - sort of a combo practice/craft/guest room - and I'm pretty fastidious about keeping cases shut when they're unoccupied, due to some past bad experiences.

But thanks for the wonderful contributions. I hope this thread lasts as long as the "post a picture of yourself" one!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Hey Kim, heaven is full of open mando cases. Our friends will be waiting for us there.

I think I saw at least one other dog picture on this thread. My small dog loves sleeping on my Small Dog case cover...

After a trip to the Vet for "getting fixed" , they take awhile to get comfortable in anything that resembles a carrier box.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Here is a different kind of cat in a case...

Name:	catcase.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	1160  

Awe come on Bratsche, give em' each a little nap in an old case and snap a few images. You big meannie...don't you know cats ALWAYS get their way.
    Bill James
    www.axinc.net

Dang Django Fret!!! #I always leave up it to you to make me die laughing as I am scrolling down a page to see what is new!!! #It is always unexpected with you!!!

D'Jango: You beat me to the strange pic idea. I was going to do one of my cat-shaped purse in a gig bag. I didn't have my camera tho. Yours was MUCH better. *L*
    It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

I don't have a cat so will Dr. Pepper, the bluegrass parrot (who can meow) suffice?

I did however get this TKL case from Scott Tichenor. It was the one his Collings F came in. #He had it only a short while, but long enough to get some cat hair in it!

Name:	dptkl.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	1165  
    Rigel...the original Vermont Teddy Bear!