Thread: VINTAGE bowlback NY mandolin

Default VINTAGE bowlback NY mandolin

Does anyone have any info on mandolins made by Hartmann Bros. and Reinhard NY NY. Made around 1890-1900.

Fixed thread header. JEStanek
    Last edited by JEStanek; Oct-29-2010 at 8:42pm.

Default Re: VINTAGE bowback NY mandolin

The Mugwumps index of American musical instrument makers gives dates of 1890-1901 for Hartmann Bros. & Reinhard. There's a concert zither, with an estimate of c.1883, in the collection of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, and harpguitars.net shows a quite high-quality harp guitar from HB&R here. Business listings show them at 124 West 23rd Street; other listings have the Hartmanns at 255 Bowery, and then show a later (1893) factory in Jersey City. There are HB&R banjos, zithers, and guitars showing up in collections and dealers' inventories here and there; not many, but the ones displayed all seem to be good-quality instruments. The firm was evidently not in business, either as Hartmann Bros. or Hartmann Bros. & Reinhard, for more than about 15-20 years. Looks like a small, general-purpose instrument builder, with decent-quality examples surviving. This listing mentions an HB&R catalog in the Smithsonian's collection, and another mention of the firm as exhibiting at the 1892-3 Columbian Exposition; in each case the firm is listed as manufacturing "zithers, guitars and mandolins." If you were to contact the Smithsonian you might get some info on the contents of the HB&R catalog.

From what info Google yields, no specific examples of HB&R mandolins, but enough references to infer a small-scale instrument building shop, making good-quality instruments of various types.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: VINTAGE bowback NY mandolin

Christian Frederick Hartmann was also mentioned as nephew of CF Martin Senio and an employee and sometime partner in the CF Martin Company. I don't know if that is the same Hartmann, tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: VINTAGE bowlback NY mandolin

This is a tantalizing question. Do you have any pictures of the mandolin or of the label? Posting these would be of real value to the collection of information and discussion here.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

This is a tantalizing question. Do you have any pictures of the mandolin or of the label? Posting these would be of real value to the collection of information and discussion here.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

The Hartmann mentioned in the old NY City business index is Alfred Hartmann. Nancy Groce's Musical Instrument Makers of New York lists the brothers here as Alfred and Rudolph Hartmann.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks, Allen. This is a maker I am not too familiar with.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

This mandolin is very ornate on the front and back . I will get some pics and post them asap however the mandolin is not with me at this time. It does have some damage to the top on one side seam and it also looks very much like the early martin bow backs. Inside the body it seems to be foiled lined with real thin copper foil. It does have two labels in very good condition however no numbers that I can see.

I have 2 Hartmann mandolins in my files neither of which is particularly exceptional -- look like mid or lower grade ones.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

While we are waiting, here are the two I have in my files. The one with the eagle is labelled Hartmann Bros. and Reinhard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandolin1.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	64143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eaglemndln1frnt.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	64144  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hi. Do you.still have that Hartmann bros and Rienhard bowlback? I found one google search and youre the only other owner i can find on internet