Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton Instrument Database-Your help needed!

Default Dayton Instrument Database-Your help needed!

Hello,

I am working on compiling a database of known Instruments made by Chas. B. Rauch and the Dayton String Instrument Company. My goal is to analyze the evolution of the company's production. If you have anything you would like to share, please contact me. I will eventually post the running list on this site as the numbers grow. You will be credited (if desired) on the list. This is purely for educational/personal enjoyment.

At this preliminary stage I only have 15 instruments documented, some of which I obtained from previous threads on this site.

What I need from you:

Details of the instrument- at a minimum the type of the instrument and serial number.

I would also like to know if the label says Chas. B. Rauch or the Dayton String Instrument Company. Additionally, I would like to know if the headstock says "The Dayton".

Any other details you wish to share would be wonderful!

You can either post to this thread or contact me via private message.

Thanks very much,

Paul

Default Re: Dayton Instrument Database-Your help needed!

I am sure Mike will be hear with some more salient links. While we are waiting... have you seen this Dayton thread?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks! I have documented the instruments on that thread with the exception of the heart guitar and guitar (because they both don't have serial numbers listed).

I am really early on in this process, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

I am mostly interested in their banjos, but I am documenting all of the production I can get my hands on.

I have only 16 instruments documented so far, but I know there are A LOT more out there.

Here is every thread with Dayton in the Subject line. The applicable subjects will jump right out at you.

Here is every thread with Dayton in a message. That's going to be harder to digest.

We haven't been over-run with Dayton mandolins over the years. Keep us informed of your list and the location.

Thanks!!!

I don't think he is a member of the cafe, but have you talked to Phil Case of Dayton, OH? He has several Dayton instruments himself and knows quite a bit about the company....I wish I had contact info for you, but he is a recorded musician, so he shouldn't be too hard to find online. Yvonne
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Thanks for the help.

I saw Phil Case's name on a previous thread and sent him an email. He hasn't got back to me yet.

Do you know if he has other Dayton instruments besides the two on his webpage?

What is the address of Phil Case's web site?

Phil (a different one)

Quote Originally Posted by goaty76 View Post
    What is the address of Phil Case's web site?
    Phil Case's web site -- with the pictures of the Dayton mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for all the replies...Here is what has been compiled thus far.

37 Mandolin Gruhn Guitars
    48 Mandolin Lowell Levinger
    99 Guitar Phil Case (info)
    103 Banjo-Rim Elderly Instruments
    138 Mandolin Phil Case
    144 Mandolin Gruhn Guitars
    301 Mandola Mandolincafe
    384 Mandolin Mandolincafe
    420 Banjo-Tenor Gary Schattl
    589 Banjo-Mandolin eBay
    590 Banjo-Guitar Lowell Levinger
    595 Banjo-5 string Jim Bollman (info)
    739 Banjo-Mandolin eBay
    809 Banjo-5 string Lowell Levinger
    886 Banjo-Rim Phil Case
    896 Banjo-5 string Dave Ball
    971 Banjo-Tenor Dennis Dodie
    989 Banjo-Mandolin Banjo Hangout
    1046 Mandola Mandolincafe
    1124 Mandolin Lowell Levinger
    1125 Mandolin Lowell Levinger
    1134 Mandolin Phil Case
    1506 Banjo-Mandolin Lowell Levinger
    1727 Banjo-Ukulele Eagle Music Shop
    1842 Banjo-Tenor eBay
    3072 Banjo-Ukulele Paul Dolce
    3103 Mandola Phil Case

Hey Paul... Is this heart-shaped one listed? This one was at Mike's Music in Ohio. I almost bought the thing but they had a pretty high price on it. Then I saw it at the Philadelphia Guitar Show a few years ago and it was pretty much unplayable with a warped top. Oh well. Very cool looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d7d7_1.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	65347   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c903_1.JPG 
Views:	211 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	65346  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks for the reply. I have a heart mandolin, heart ukulele, and heart guitar documented. The heart mandolin I have documented is in Phil Case's collection and I am not sure if it is the one posted.

I am not including the heart instruments without serial numbers on the database at this point. Without serial numbers they are difficult to keep track of and I run the risk of duplications. I am keeping all of the info I can gather about the heart instruments.

Thanks again,

Paul

Don't know if have this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/1930s-PREMIER-US...item1c17840fe2 It has been on Ebay for a while.

Phil

Thanks for the link. I already saw that one, but the serial hasn't given me the serial number. I emailed him weeks ago, and no response.

Here is a summary of some Dayton research thus far:

http://www.banjohangout.org/topic/197602

Having successfully navigated the arduous, rocky shoals of the Mandlolin Cafe sign-up proceedure, I'm now ready to report. I have a Dayton Style A mandolin, #370. It was given to me by a Cello-playing friend in Colorado Springs, but I don't know where she got it. It's a bit beaten up, but plays just beautifully. I'm a newcomer to mandolin, and every time I go to a jam or festival, people are always coming up to me to look at the instrument. I met a fellow (strangely enough named Rauch) at the annual meeting of the Oregon Bluegrass Association, who told me about your forum. If you would like a picture, I could probably manage that. By the way, I play it upside-down, but with the strings strung as per normal. Go figure.
    David Ball (not the Dave Ball with the Dayton banjo)

Hi David-

Thanks for the contribution and for the information. They certainly are neat instruments! The database on this site is a bit outdated, we have nearly 60 instruments documented at this point. I will send you a private message with my contact information. Thanks!

Paul

PM sent

We would love to se some pics of this new addition, too, David and Slingerland. Please post here when you get a chance.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hello Paul,

I suppose you noticed this Dayton banjo mando on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DAYTON-STRING-IN...item4159b89266

Cheers, David.

Quote Originally Posted by David Aumann View Post
    Hello Paul,

I suppose you noticed this Dayton banjo mando on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DAYTON-STRING-IN...item4159b89266

Cheers, David.
    I did see that, but I appreciate the heads up. Thanks!

Here's one I recently ran into....
    It's built like a sandwich, starting out with a 1" thick piece of spruce and a 1" thick piece of mahogany, both hollowed out...
    Nice sounding instrument...

Here's a guy playing one of those. Maybe it is the recording but it certainly doesn't sound like a Gibson.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks for the photos! Where is this one located? Is it for sale? I've got the Dayton mandolins I want, but I am still curious. This one looks very nice.

Is that serial number 44?

Jim-

Why would you expect it to sound like a Gibson? Although Dayton mandolins and Gibson mandolins have some cosmetic similarities, their constructions are entirely different. Mr. Rauch was issued a patent for his mandolin design with internal soundboard, which can be found at the link below.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=4yg...rument&f=false