Thread: lost my focus

Default lost my focus

I love my mandolin, truly I do. But the last week or so, I'm not having any fun with it. My daily practice is a BIG chore. The more I practice, the worse it gets. Even with the songs I know well, I can't seem to play them without huge mistakes. How do I get back on the right track?
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. H.D. Thoreau

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Default Re: lost my focus

Take a break and have a little fun with a banjo?

Take a break! Unless you're a full-time pro, you can afford a week off. You can burn out on even the greatest thing in the world (like mandolin playing) if you overdo it.
    If I call my guitar my "axe," does that mean my mandolin is my hatchet?

Breedlove Quartz KF
    Kit Built Oval Hole
    Martin 000M
    Highland Harp

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mattdeblass2

Feed My Ego, Visit My Youtube Page

Quote Originally Posted by pinky57 View Post
    I love my mandolin, truly I do. But the last week or so, I'm not having any fun with it. My daily practice is a BIG chore. The more I practice, the worse it gets. Even with the songs I know well, I can't seem to play them without huge mistakes. How do I get back on the right track?
    Take a break. When you come back define why you want to play and also what kind of music you like. Then develop a plan that focus your efforts only in the pursuit of what you decide is your music.

Someone once told me that there is a muse within all of us who needs to be expressed. Allow this to happen without being concerned what it sounds like to others.

Slow it w a a y y y d o w n to a tempo where your timing, phrasing, and tone are all beautiful again. Speed can kill and should come naturally and easily because your playing is really nailing it down. Learn how to use a metronome. Concentrate on some simpler tunes that you really like and can pull the tone out of your mandolin and change around. Cut your practice time down to 10 min a session and only play what's pleasing to you. Listen to mando music that's back to basics everyday (my suggestion is Kenny Baker plays Bill Monroe)...it keeps that part of your brain going - even if not practicing that day.

When was the last time you changed your strings?

There's an old Dan Crary guitar DVD that is full of practice and musicianship wisdom. A typical nugget was about playing Arkansas Traveller slowly, instead of the standard tempo that loses the beauty.

This stuff really works if you use it.

Work on some songs you like. I just picked up a "Dire Straits" complete songbook for about $20. Got all their tunes, with words and chords. I love learning new tunes, and it's a lot easier than my usual pick it out by ear.

sometimes when you come back from a break you'll be stronger than before....(length of break can't be years of course)....sometimes the information you've put into your brain needs time to 'percolate'.....

Listen to music

Get a drum kit.

Lots of sensible advice above. I'd certainly take a break from your playing for a week or so & when you come back to it,try something totally new.Mandobart's suggestion worked pretty well for me when i thought that i was stagnating a bit. I got my "Eagles" song book out & went through all my favourites to learn the chords,so it benefited me 2 ways 1) It gave me a focus on something to learn. 2) I learned a whole stack of new chords & it limbered up my left hand. The 3rd thing was,i had a whale of a time doing it as well - there is of course,always the drum kit solution (not really !),
    Stick with it - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Take a break. Try a new style of music. Just play songs you like or always wanted to learn instead of the same old drill. These are things that I've done with other instruments ... but have never felt that way about the mandolin!

Hey pinky57,
    My personal expectations or self-estim(mation) kept me away from playing for almost two decades. One day i just picked up a guitar and didn't give a damb if i was doing it right. I just played to myself, and i was happy. That spawned a whole new re-aquaintence and new more mature musical journey. I found folks to play with that were extremely supportive, and this enabled me to move from strength to strength. But i still play first as a therapy for myself.
    Last edited by farmerjones; Nov-04-2010 at 10:21am. Reason: speling of corse

If there's a live concert somewhere, go listen, whether it's the kind of music you usually play or not. Sometimes you can catch a second breath after listening to great music from somebody else and want to go home and try it out on your mandolin.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I've been there, a few weeks ago, in fact. I say stop listening to great players, and maybe stop listening to mandolin players altogether for a while. If you're already down, there's nothing worse than listening to Thile or some other great player; this would only make you feel like giving up entirely.

Step back. Listen to fiddles and happy music like Old-Time where things aren't so polished. Read a good book or three. And resolve to play again simply for the love of it.

This, too, shall pass.