Thread: new exp 74s?

Default new exp 74s?

I just opened the first set from a box of D'Addario EXP74s. The A and E strings, instead of the usual bronze yellow finish, were of a bright silvery cast. I looked at the other sets in the box and they were all the same. I have been using this type of strings for a few years, and I am concerned that I have gotten mislabeled J74s at the EXP74 price.
    Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this a new coating technique by D'Addario?
    Thanks for any info.

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: new exp 74s?

The new EXP 74s have a new coating on the A & E that does not color them bronze. Don't worry you've got the correct strings. They're silver now...and supposedly the new coating is thinner, thus allowing the string to vibrate more freely. Personally, I miss the older style...but I'm right back using EXP 74 with an occasional set of Gibson Sam Bush.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I was working with them on the FW74 project, I learned D'Addario also had more problems with the copperish color plain steel, as far as longevity. The new ones will last longer. Rather than make a big public statement about it, they just made the change quietly as a courtesy to dealers to move old inventory. They did the same with the new EXP winding formula a little over a year ago.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Thanks, guys, for the quick and informative response. As Kinky would say: "Mucous Garcias!"