Thread: Eastman 515 and Tone Gard

Default Eastman 515 and Tone Gard

Hey everyone,

I'm interested in getting a Tone Gard at some point and heard about it not being the best idea to use on a varnish finished mandolin, as said on themandolinstore.com After reading the thread on this topic on boards, I see that many haven't experienced any problems. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with a Tone Gard on an Eastman 515. I see that my Eastman should have a lacquer finish, according to themandolinstore.com, although my 515 is from 2006 and maybe has a different finish then the new ones? Anyone have one to know if it's the same?

Also, does anyone know where someone can find tone gards used, I see that they're about $75 brand new.

Mandolin - Eastman 515 (2006)
    Guitar - Martin DCX1E (2004), American Standard Stratocaster (1998), and others.

Default Re: Eastman 515 and Tone Gard

ToneGards are not suppose to mark the finish-----------------------but it can! I wrapped the prongs with small pieces of micro-fiber which were hot glued on and no marks!

I used a Tone Guard on my 2006 Eastman 515 for about 18 months with no ill consequences. It had the laquer finish. I took the TG off to sell it and it cleaned up without a trace.

Blog Entries

I too had a 515 with a Tone Gard for about a year. No problems when I moved to my new Weber. Philosophically though, a Tone Gard is kind of a 'working mando' item. Working mandos are the ones that get the mojo with time and save the cost of distressing.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
    I too had a 515 with a Tone Gard for about a year. No problems when I moved to my new Weber. Philosophically though, a Tone Gard is kind of a 'working mando' item. Working mandos are the ones that get the mojo with time and save the cost of distressing.
    Hey George, can you further explain what you meant with that last comment? I think I half get what you mean, as I understand that acoustic instruments sweeten with time and play, but was wondering if you care to elaborate and clarify.Thanks to everyone for your responses, the cafe is a wonderful community.

Mandolin - Eastman 515 (2006)
    Guitar - Martin DCX1E (2004), American Standard Stratocaster (1998), and others.

It's a natural rubber hose, Tony P said Pledge is a good thing to put on the rubber.

I have 1 TG on a lacqured finish , and 1 on a old Varnished one. both instruments, after years, are fine..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Oh, I'm saying that if the Tone Gard were to leave a mark or other sign of its use that would be in the same category as pick scars or strap wear that guitars and mandolins acquire with time.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars