Thread: Color Shift

Default Color Shift

Has anyone who purchased a JL Smith electric mandolin experienced a change in the color of the instrument? Just curious because I ordered a Baby Blue mando and now the color has changed to more of a sea foam green. This happened in less than a year. I love the instrument, and it is a joy to play, and I plan to keep it even if the color has changed. I am very curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Color Shift

My JL Smith 5-string was technically called "blue" when I got it, but I've always considered it Sea Foam Green. I don't think the color changed at all. I love the color!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

i did order Baby Blue to match my G&L guitar also sent a picture. It was really Baby Blue when I got it. It did change over about 6 or 7 months. The green is pretty too but I wanted the blue.

A third of all men have difficulty telling shades of blue and green apart. I'm one. It's genetic.

Do you store your mandolin in its case? This is very common but it is more noticeable with some colors than others. Its the topcoat of lacquer. The lacquer turns yellow with age and changes the base color. In this case, it makes blue look green. I had this happen on some white lacquered products I made, non-instrument related, which sat in a closed box for awhile. When I pulled them out they were yellowish. The sales rep from the coating company told me to leave them out in the light for awhile and it would go back to being white. It worked. Not all instruments are clear coated after the color coat is sprayed, so it isn't as dramatic with them. MY seafoam green mandolin and vintage cream both changed colors as a result. I don't think you see that as often in new production instruments because a lot of companies have switched to urethane finishes and they don't yellow.

Andrew hit the nail on the head. It's the nitrocellous clear coat that yellows over time, and of course yellow and blue make a greenish tint. Acrylic lacquers/urethane finishes are less likely to change, and not nearly as fast. Compare an oil painting to an acrylic painting. Compare painting the woodwork in your home with oil based paint to using latex/acrylic. Once an instrument leaves my shop, I have no way to determine how the appearance will be months/years down the road. Different woods/climate and to what elements they are exposed to are all determining factors. There have been actual books written on all types of finishes etc. etc. and this thread could probably go on for a long time, but basically any oil based finishes will yellow much faster than acrylic/urethane/synthetic finishes. The above info. is only what I have experienced, and please understand that I'm not a chemist or scientist, and certainly don't have all the answers.
    Thanks, John
    www.jlsmithmandolins.com
    Last edited by jlsmandolin1952; Nov-21-2010 at 10:06am. Reason: Wording error.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Here`s a great article about vintage Fender finishes......well worth a read.
    http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fenderc.html
    CheeryBye!

Thanks for the article. I believe that I remember reading this same article quite some time back. It was a great refresher to read it again.
    John