Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 CMSA Convention

Blog Entries

Default Re: 2011 CMSA Convention

Any US premiers in store from said composer-in-residence?
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

"Any US premiers in store from said composer-in-residence?"

At least one. The Providence Mandolin Orchestra is planning on performing Victor's SINFONIA on Friday evening. This is a US premiere (the piece was premiered in Europe by Het Consort, for whom it was originally written).
    Robert A. Margo

... and I have no doubt that it will be a splendid performance. The PMO is a somewhat larger ensemble than Het Consort, which of course changes the "calculus" of the various sonorities. Each performance thus becomes its own, one-of-a-kind experience.

I have heard from the proverbial yet trusty grapevine that rehearsals have been coming along well. So I have faith. I will leave NYC first thing Friday morning, and work up the appropriate appetite for all things crabby en route.

Cheers to one and all,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by MLT View Post
    Plamen,

That is the rate that I am paying for the room with two people (my wife will be attending with me). While I am am a member of the CMSA, the hotel reservation staff did not ask if I was a member. I assume that $119/night is the negotiated conference rate. However, it is only for certain days. I will actually arrive on the Sunday before the conference and leave the Monday following. I have different rates for those nights. For those additional nights, if need them, be sure to ask e reservation staff for any promotional rates they may be offering.
    MLT,

Please see PM from me.

Jim Blanchard
    Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra
    CMSA 2011 convention host committee co-chair

Jim,

Pm and separate message sent.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Are we all going to meet somewhere?
    I live by BWI so its a small trip for me. The weekend is taken up with Boy Scout event. But I plan on taking a few hours if not a day off to see it .

A L

Any news? Are the registration materials available already?

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    Any news? Are the registration materials available already?
    If you're a member of CMSA and you don't have an e-mail address in CMSA's membership records, hard copies of the registration materials are in the mail to you now. Online registration at the CMSA website is taking somewhat longer than expected to set up. You should be able to register online by the end of the week.

Jim Blanchard

Hi,

I will join the CMSA Convention in Baltimore. Airplane ticket already purchased. I'm travelling alone and was wondering if someone is willing to share a room with me? As far as i understood the price is for a double room. I intend to stay from Wednesday (12.10.) till Sunday (16.10.) - four nights. PM or E-mail me.

Best,
    Plamen

Online registration for the 2011 CMSA convention in Baltimore is now available at the CMSA website (http://www.classicalmandolinsociety.org/)

Jim Blanchard

"Online registration for the 2011 CMSA convention in Baltimore is now available at the CMSA website (http://www.classicalmandolinsociety.org/)"

This is true but when I tried to register a few minutes ago I discovered there was no way to sign up for the open mic, which I am sure is not the intention.

This is true but when I tried to register a few minutes ago I discovered there was no way to sign up for the open mic, which I am sure is not the intention.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing this out. I've passed it on to the CMSA webmaster. Hopefully it will get fixed soon. The open mic is scheduled for Saturday over lunch. You will also be able to sign up at the convention by Thursday.

Jim Blanchard

The open mic is scheduled for Saturday over lunch. You will also be able to sign up at the convention by Thursday"

That's nice, but some people, like myself, won't arrive until late Thursday or early Fridah AM and need a way of singing up for the open mic in advance.
    Robert A. Margo

Hm, so there is no way for me to register for the Convention unless i'm a member of CMSA. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Plamen Ivanov View Post
    Hm, so there is no way for me to register for the Convention unless i'm a member of CMSA. Is that correct?
    That is correct: CMSA membership is required for all convention attendees.

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    The open mic is scheduled for Saturday over lunch. You will also be able to sign up at the convention by Thursday"
    That's nice, but some people, like myself, won't arrive until late Thursday or early Fridah AM and need a way of singing up for the open mic in advance.
    The option to sign up for open mic online was an error. It is being removed from the CMSA website. Open mic sign-up will be at the convention registration desk. If you can't get there by Thursday to sign up, please PM me and let me know and I'll get your name on the list.

Jim Blanchard
    Convention host committee co-chair

Who will be some of the vendors at the convention?

Quote Originally Posted by wundo View Post
    Who will be some of the vendors at the convention?
    Wundo,

Can you ask again in a couple of weeks? We're just starting to line up vendors. Thanks.

Jim Blanchard
    BMO

We have a fact sheet that spells out some of the details about this year's CMSA convention and contains registration forms. It's attached here (I hope). It's also available as a link at the bottom of the CMSA website homepage (click on "click to view/print the registration forms").

Jim Blanchard
    BMO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FINALRegistrationFormBaltimore2011_8_8_11.pdf  

Blog Entries

I’ll be playing a solo concert of jazz chord-melody goodies at this year’s CMSA convention.

I’m offering private lessons during the convention for anyone interested in working on chord-melody, comping ideas, playing over changes, or if you ask really nicely, tying a bow tie (with your eyes opened or closed).

If you’d like to schedule a lesson, please contact me at AaronWeinstein@aol.com

Thanks!

I'm also playing a short concert, doing workshops on tremolo technique and jazz improv, and offering private lessons in classical technique or jazz improv. I'm also playing a full-length solo concert at An Die Musik in Baltimore on Thursday night at 8. You can contact me via PM or on the Facetubes.

Blog Entries

Hi Joe, really looking forward to hearing you! Best, Aaron

Looking forward to seeing you (again) too!

With yesterday's addition of jazz mandolinist Aaron Weinstein, our list of performers for the 2011 CMSA convention in Baltimore is pretty well firmed up. We're featuring quite a few mandolin orchestras and ensembles from the mid-Atlantic region as well as individual performers. Here's the list as it stands now:
    The Mandoleers from Arlington, Virginia
    The Philadelphia Mandolin and Guitar Ensemble
    The Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra
    The Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    The Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra
    A combined ensemble of players from the Long Island Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra and Mandophonics from southwest Florida
    The En Masse Orchestra under the baton of Dr. Jim Bates
    The Baltimore Mandolin Quartet
    MandoKids (children from the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra's youth program)
    Composer-in-residence Victor Kioulaphides
    Chris Acquavella
    Joe Brent
    Aaron Weinstein
    And...we're expecting a couple of special guests to attend our convention too.

Chris, Joe and Aaron will all be giving not-to-be-missed workshops, and there will be other workshops as well. You will be able to choose from up to 22 workshops.

There will be an open mic, a solo playing contest, and plenty of opportunities to do some late-night jamming and sight reading.

Most activities and concerts will take place at the hotel (Sheraton Baltimore North Hotel in Towson, Maryland). Our Saturday concert (BMO, Chris, and En Masse Orchestra) will be held at the 1,000-seat Kraushaar Auditorium on the campus of Goucher College, which is right next door to the hotel. Come on out for this concert. We want to fill the hall!

The dates of the convention are 12-16 October. There are a few more details at www.baltimoremandolinorchestra.org.

You can register for the convention online at the CMSA website, www.classicalmandolinsociety.org. If you register before Monday, 19 September, you'll save money.

Hope to see you all here in Charm City next month!

Jim Blanchard
    (PM me if you have any specific questions)

before sun 19 sep

I just checked with the Hotel to make reservations and they informed me that there are no rooms available at all for Friday October 14. All the other days are available.

My friend and I were just planning to come up for Friday thru Sunday.

Is this possible? Has anyone else had this problem? Seems odd that only one day is booked.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1