Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regal Ultra Grand

Default Regal Ultra Grand

I recently won a Regal Ultra Grand mandolin on Ebay, and I can't seem to find out much about it. It needs a neck set (there's significant heel separation), but otherwise it's very clean and all original. I'd appreciate any info you have on it (especially when this model was made).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.JPG 
Views:	921 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	65650 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back.JPG 
Views:	772 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	65651

Default Re: Regal Ultra Grand

Is this helpful? It's not -exactly- the same item, but looks a lot like it. Your pick-guard is plainer, for instance.

http://www.musicaviva.com/instrument...?serienr=16373

I had wondered who were the folks so interested in that nicely appointed Regal. You are apparently at least one of them.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

I'm gonna guess late 1940s, assuming everything on it is original. Designer seems to have been aware of Martin's Style 20 and Style 30, and maybe D'Angelico as well. Probably the most promising-looking Regal-branded instrument I've ever seen.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by DerTiefster View Post
    Is this helpful? It's not -exactly- the same item, but looks a lot like it.

I had wondered who were the folks so interested in that nicely appointed Regal. You are apparently at least one of them.
    Mine is a carved-top, and the one you linked to looks like an older bent-top, but it could be a predecessor model.

I think Regals are underrated - their high-end instruments often have great sounds, but they're hard to find in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I'm gonna guess late 1940s, assuming everything on it is original. Designer seems to have been aware of Martin's Style 20 and Style 30, and maybe D'Angelico as well. Probably the most promising-looking Regal-branded instrument I've ever seen.
    I was thinking '30s or '40s - I don't recall seeing a bakelite pickguard after WWII, but I'm no expert. I was actually considering a Martin 20, but this seems like a good substitute at a fraction of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I agree that it's the most promising-looking Regal-branded instrument I've ever seen as well but I think it's probably 30's and was probably built for Regal not necessarily by Regal. I've never seen another Regal instrument that was that sort of quality. That tailpiece seems to hearken back to the L&H days a bit as well. This might be from the Tonk Bros. days at Regal, that's just speculation.

This is very similar to B&D mandolins -- some with reverse scroll with carved tops that were very likely made by Regal under the B&D label. Like this Sultana Grand at Music Emporium.

I have some catalog pages of these mandolins. I will try to post them later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDSultana_1500_1.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	65666  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

The years of the catalog pages wll be interesting.

I was just contacted by a guy who's writing a book about the history of Regal; he wants to photograph my mandolin for the book, though I'll probably get the mandolin after his manuscript is due to the publisher. I asked him whether Regal made the mandolin themselves and when, and he replied:

as far as details of manufacture, etc, it's really hard with regal instruments to pin down those details unless there is a catalogue listing that matches the specific instrument (and i havent seen one). without that, it's all guess work and conjecture (re: the mando cafe crew). folks like to say anything high end sold by regal wasnt built by them, but, that's i think because alot of the chicago manufacturers built for each other, regal made alot of low end stuff making folks think they couldnt make high end instruments and because regal isnt martin or gibson the mando snobs think that the Regal-made high end instruments couldnt be any good.
    He then pointed me to the same Sultana Grand that Jim mentioned.

the Sultana Grand was listed for sale by Bacon between about 1936-1939. the fingerboard on your mandolin was used by Regal during that time period but more specifically on mandolins made after the War, so, the body is probably from 1939, but the fingerboard might be from the late 1940s/early 1950s and original equiptment when the instrument was sold or a "redo" when the mando was sent back the factory for repair. i'd have to see the instrument in person to better figure this out.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The years of the catalog pages wll be interesting.
    The copies I have were labelled 1936. They were of the Bacon Sultana, Ramona and Senorita styles.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There are guitars (at least) in Hubert's Washburn book for the 1935-39 era that look similar in construction. Perhaps these were the golden years at Regal.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    There are guitars (at least) in Hubert's Washburn book for the 1935-39 era that look similar in construction. Perhaps these were the golden years at Regal.
    Possibly, and that also makes sense if you take into account that Regal likely ended up with part of the former L&H craftsmen after JR Stewart's bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    Possibly, and that also makes sense if you take into account that Regal likely ended up with part of the former L&H craftsmen after JR Stewart's bankruptcy.
    You'd have to assume they probably ended up with shop equipment, forms, and templates as well. Good to see you Hubert.

For those not familiar with Hubert's book, it's titled "Washburn Prewar Instrument Styles" and is available on Amazon as well as other places. It has become my go to resource for information on anything that might have possibly been related to Lyon and Healy and the companies that it spawned.

It must be time to resurrect this thread from over 7 years ago. After near misses on similar ones over the years, I finally bagged one of these Regal oddballs. It seems like most of them were intended to have the B&D mark on them but the one that Noah Miller (the OP) got back in 2010 was Regal branded. Same with the one I just won but mine has the Kordick-designed reverse scroll (lumpish, eh?). Noah did get the case intended for that model as you can see from his pics. So did I.

One other major difference is that Noah's has an extended fret board whereas this one does not. I think I would agree that it is possible that this was a way for Regal to use up extra factory parts that were just lying around.

Similar to his, mine also has a neck separation. It also has a crystallized fancy pickguard. It is a shame because it has that castle (I think) engraved on it. There is a clear photo of that castle on the 1937 B&D Sultana grand mandolin catalog photo in Bob Carlin's Regal book, page 80. Hopefully there aren't too many other issues with it.

I will post some additional photos when it arrives, probably next week.

Name:	s-l1600-4.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	164329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-7.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	164330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-1.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	164331  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	164328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	164332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-12.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	434.1 KB 
ID:	164333  

Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-25-2018 at 7:10pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Let me just jump in here and say the comments I made above were before Bob Carlin's Regal book was printed. Bob's Regal Musical Instruments 1895-1955 was truly an eye opening view into what Regal could actually do. Highly recommended. I now believe these were built by Regal.

Congratulations Jim!
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jan-25-2018 at 9:59pm.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice score, Jim. Smurf's Up!

Mick

Name:	Regal Smurf.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	164335  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Actually, I looked for the publishing date on the Carlon book and could not find it tho I did see that Bob dated his intro 12/10, the same as this thread. Here's page 80 pf the B&D Sultana pickguard. None of the real-life examples had their pickguard (including the gorgeous one at The Music Emporium) -- probably all those crystallized and distintegrated.

Name:	RegalBook_BandDRamonaSultana.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	350.5 KB 
ID:	164337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RegalBook_BandDSultanaDET.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	527.8 KB 
ID:	164336  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

20. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Cooliso. Minarets or early ICBMs?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I looked for the same publication date and when I saw the date of his comments I assumed they had to be done well before publication. Hubert's book and Carlin's book were both game changers.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Amazon says Bob's book was published November 11, 2011.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It would make sense if he was talking to the OP about the original mandolin when this thread was first posted.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Carlin's 2011 book describes the two-point "No. 255 'Ultra Grand'" as "recently surfaced," making it likely he was talking about OP's instrument. He shows (p. 89) a page from Regal's 1939 catalog, depicting the No. 255, price $50, but without the "Ultra Grand" headstock inlay.

There's extensive color pix of the "modified Kordick shape" reverse scroll "Sultana Grand" mandolin (pp. 82-3), which seems identical to Jim G's except for the headstock inlay -- "Sultana" instead of "Ultra." Is it that the "Sultana" designation went with the Regal-made instruments sold through Bacon & Day (B & D), while "Ultra" were the ones sold under the Regal name?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I am fairly convinced that these Ultra Grand mandolins were constructed of parts laying around the factory. The headstock of mine is the same as the B&D Sultana but has a white overlay to where B&D would appear. The Ultra is pretty clever, too, since Sultana has all the letters except for the R. Maybe they used that R in the same typeface on another instrument or just had someone make that one letter. And mine has white block inlays like the B&D Sultana only without the inscribing. But it does have a Sultana pickguard and a Washburn tailpiece.

The seller never showed the back of the headstock but I assume that it would have nickel tuners not as fancy as the Sultana.

Name:	BDSultana_750_12.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	164365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-4.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	164366  
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-26-2018 at 10:01am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    ...The Ultra is pretty clever, too, since Sultana has all the letters except for the R. Maybe they used that R in the same typeface on another instrument or just had someone make that one letter...
    My wife's friend Cookie, the theatrical architect, had a help-pay-the-rent job at an Egyptian restaurant in NYCity. (I didn't know there were Egyptian restaurants, but what the heck, it's NYCity.)

Anyway, the restaurant was called At Our Place, which I thought was an odd name, and not particularly Egyptian. Cookie told us that previous owners called it Cleopatra, and the new owners wanted to re-name it, but save and re-use the marquee letters outside. I looked closely at the new lettering, and sure enough, the "U" was slightly smaller than the other letters.

End of hijack.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Very Nice indeed, I love those obscure 20's-30's oddities! GREAT SCORE, Love it. Did ya score her on Evilbay?

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    My wife's friend Cookie, the theatrical architect, had a help-pay-the-rent job at an Egyptian restaurant in NYCity. (I didn't know there were Egyptian restaurants, but what the heck, it's NYCity.)

Anyway, the restaurant was called At Our Place, which I thought was an odd name, and not particularly Egyptian. Cookie told us that previous owners called it Cleopatra, and the new owners wanted to re-name it, but save and re-use the marquee letters outside. I looked closely at the new lettering, and sure enough, the "U" was slightly smaller than the other letters.

End of hijack.
    Not yet. That sounds really familiar. When and where was that? I think I used to eat there or pass by it.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: