Thread: Bouzouki(Greek&Irish)

What is the main difference between an Irish Bouzouki and a Greek Bouzouki other than the bowl back. Im in the proccess of doing research on specs of a Bouzouki, so I can have one built for me. When I ordered my mandolin I knew what I wanted but with this I so need some feed back and lots of help.

I don't really know that much about it, but I do know of a couple of resources. For Greek bouzouki's and info, see here:

http://www.diodinos.com/

A guy who knows a lot about Irish and Scottish instruments would be David Kilpatrick:

http://www.troubadour.uk.com/mandozouki.html

mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Greek Bouzoukis have been 3-course, bowl-backed instruments for much of their history, and some still are 3 course while others have moved to 8 course, all the strings on these are very light. Irish bouzoukis (not octave mandolins) are long-scale, flat-backed or carved-top and back. They also use much thicker strings, around .44 for the low G.
    Now, in what might be considered an Irish bouzouki, there are bouzoukis and octave mandolins. People usually draw the distinctions between the two like this. Bouzoukis are usually long scale (24-26 inch), have the octave-stringing on the bottom two courses, and are primarily for rhythm. Octave mandolins are shorter scale (20-24 inch), have strings in unison, and are used more for lead playing.

Just out of curiosity, who are you having build one for you? Do you want it to be carved or flat-top? Maybe one of those guitar-bodied ones? As my sig says, I use my dad's Flatiron bouzouki (24" scale), when I am at home anyways - couldn't fit another instrument in my dorm room. If I was going to buy one now, I would get a guitar-bodied OM from Paul Lestock. Absolutely wonderful tone, those.

Gunning,

How much information can you give me on your old flatiron Bouzouki? More info you got the better, got any pictures I can send to my luthier? or maybe even plans?
    Is it an octave mandolin or is it a bouzouki? how many frets? how wide is the neck? scale length? Everything you know to help us me out with ordering.

Dem,

Well, my parents are coming up to Gonzaga to visit and are bringing the bouzouki, and most likely a digital camera. I will get some more measurements and pictures for you, but to hold you over for the next day or two until I get the info, here is a link to an old Gibson page left over from the flatiron era. I believe the scale length is 24 inches, by the way.

http://www.gibson.com/products/flatiron/1996/

Thanks so much man, really appreciate the info so far. Cant wait to see the pics of the flatiron. Anyone else have a pic of thier m 3 flatiron bouzouki?

Hey Gunning,

got that flatiron bouzouki yet?

This is exactly what I want.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Why? Because Thile plays one? Well, his has a sunburst finish so you better keep trying.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

yeh cause thile plays is , thats exactly it again.

Thumbs up

Try Gernandt.com #Bob builds beauiful irish Bouzoukis. I have one in western red cedar and Honduran mahogony. Best I've seen. Dave

Thankyou that was a sweet site.

Is the flatiron x braced or ladder?
    And whats the bout width of it?
    and the depth?
    how many frets to the body?
    and overall fret?
    hmmm what else,
    Oh gunning did your parents bring you the flatiron?