Default Re: 1910's Dayton Mandolin?

From the other Dayton thread:

New Website: www.daytonstringinstruments.com
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I saw that, too, Mike, and it cracked me up!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by gretschbigsby View Post
    I usually consider it bad form to be the only person to respond to my own post, but.... #I have learned some information about Dayton Mandolins and thought it might be worth posting it here in the event someone ever searches this topic...

A short description of these mandolins do, in fact, appear on P. 99 of Gruhn's Acoustic Guitars and Other Fretted Instruments... #I'm told it shows the "double boiler" construction of the sound chamber... #I'm going to buy a copy of the book now!

A MC member (thanks gb) turned me on to Phil Case. #He and Ann are an old time music duet out of Ohio, and he records with Dayton Mandolins, among other cool vintage instruments. #Here is their very nice website and there are some pictures of Phil's Dayton mandolins on it: #http://www.wso.net/dryrun/

Anyway, Phil has researched the Dayton Mandolin Company, and here is his response to my query (shared here with his permission):

"Thanks for contacting us. Here's what I can tell you about Dayton mandolins. According to a Xerox copy I have of their catalog, Style A mandolins supposedly have a spruce top and a birch back. The more upscale Style B has the mahogany back. Their choice of building materials probably fluctuated with supply. The catalog contains a lot of shaky spelling and grammar which would indicate that Charles B. Rauch, the
    proprietor, spent more time working than he did in school. But certainly you're aware of the feature that makes Dayton mandolins unique: that sound board that bisects the body like an double boiler, dividing the sound chamber into two sections. This was Charles B. Rauch's feature for which he got his patent in 1911. He thought it would revolutionize
    acoustic design, although it never really did.

# # Rauch had a small shop at 143 Apple Street in Dayton, Ohio from 1911 until around 1940. He and a few assistants made mandolins, banjos, a few guitars, and related instruments. For as long as they were around here and as many of their instruments still turn up, no one here knows too much about their production output figures or extent of distribution. The whole block where the shop building once stood is now a parking garage for a hospital. I know all this because I live in the Dayton area.

# # So far I've not been able to determine what serial numbers belong to what year. I don't know if the numbers just run consecutively or were set off differently for different instruments. My oldest one is serial #138 and I don't know if they started with 001 or 100. Either way, that one's got to be among the older examples. The inlay "The Dayton" doesn't
    seem to appear on the mandolin pegheads until the serial numbers approach four digits, but it appears on all banjo pegheads, early and later. The pegheads bearing the Dayton name are more "snakehead"-shaped, which leads me to believe that they came into being in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Mr. Rauch might have been following the Gibson trend. Dayton mandolin pegheads prior to this were paddle-shaped like their Gibson counterparts.

# # There were three grades of mandolins offered: Style A, Style B, and the Student Special, which had a completely round body and looked like a huge Oreo with a fretboard. Style B was actually the top-of-the-line, more ornate mandolin (why not style A--who knows?). My Style B is serial
    #1134 (almost 1,000 instruments after my Style A?). There have been some odd models over the years, too, like "The Dayton Heart", a heart-shaped mandolin. I have one of these and it wasn't made with the sound board and was given no serial number on the sticker. I saw an ad once in Vintage Guitar Magazine for a "Dayton Heart" tenor guitar. That has to be bizarre. You have an example of the work of a somewhat obscure, wonderfully weird, small Midwestern maker from the early 20th century. "

Interestingly, my Dayton Mandolin has a serial number of 384 and, although the label says A style, it has some of the inlay and binding of Phil's B style, but with the birch back and body shape of the A style, which probably indicates a later construction and usinig whatever was around the shop!

This mandolin has a real nice tone... #its quite loud, open and resonant... #I'd love to hear from any other Dayton Mandolin owners, and I bet so would Phil.

Bob
    Hi from the \north of England, I have a Dayton short scale tenor mandola model B and I love it, it gets much more use than my teens Gibson A series mandolin. It has a big woody sound and the internal soundboard seems to be the reason. I keep it to lower E tuning E,B,F#,C#. the tuning associated with Yank Rachel as blues is my thing. I love it and would never part with it, regardless of value, which I imagine to be high as the build quality is equal to Gibson.

JIMHOTSHOT: I don't have a clue of value esp in the UK. Here in the US they are not very well known and I am not even sure what one would sell for here. I have never played one of those carved top mandolins. The only Dayton I played (sort of) was a heart-shaped flattop that was in bad shape -- not really playable. A mandola, of course, would be even rarer. Can you post some photos here?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Was Dayton the first company to use the fairly new (at the time) Gibson design as basis for their instruments? I was first going to ask if they were the first to make Gibson copies but they are not exactly copies but more of inspired by. Though Gibson's lawyers might have disagreed.

Phil

Default Re: 1910s Dayton Mandolin?

I have been playing my Model A (Serial #370) all over Oregon for the last 10 years and it has finally started falling apart. I've been told it needs a neck reset and the head pieces are coming apart. It gets lots of attention at festivals. I seem to remember that there is a web page where you can register your Rauch mandolin, but I forget the address.

Default Dayton Banjo mandolin

I have a Dayton banjo mandolin that I recently assembled before undertaking the small set of repairs needed on the instrument. It has an aluminum head,
    which has a few tabs broken on it, and I'll replace it in the course of the other repairs.
    It's an interesting instrument, very well made, the action of the original bridge is a bit high for me, so I put a lower bridge on it than is pictured here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dayton Banjo Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	160090

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Here is a mandola that showed up on eBay in 2006.
    Hi, I now own this style B mandola. I keep it tuned to mandolin tuning down grom G to E, like Yank Rachel often did, it is a fantastic istrument and easliy as good as my 1918 Gibson A in tone and build quality.

I have 3 Dayton instruments. 1 mandolin banjo. 1 model A mandolin. 1 model B mandolin. The model B was not playable, but is being rebuilt now.

10. The following members say thank you to Madstop for this post: