Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: John Lennon

Default Re: John Lennon

I don't know much about all the philosophical meanderings I've enjoyed reading on this post about John. All I know is that when I was ten years old I saw the Beatles do the Ed Sullivan Show and from that moment on, don't ask me why, but life changed. I wanted a guitar and I wanted to do what they were doing. (My dad wanted me to play the accordion - and I should have done that too!). I got the Beatles fake books and played and sang them in my room until my fingers bleed. Schoolwork went out the window. I could only focus on music. Wrote songs, got into bands, and being a musician was what I was steering towards.

Funny how life works out but I never got there. Went to college, fell in love, got married, had a family, took care of my wife's and my parents, regular life stuff - but music is still part of my life. Not just listening to it but playing it. Only regret is that I wish I could have seen past the Pop and found the Bluegrass stuff a little earlier on. I like all kinds of music (still have an aversion to Polka's - that accordion thing I guess). Few of the people I know play musical instruments, but I still do. And now, I found the Mandolin and I really like the catalog of music that goes with it. Plan is to go to some small Festivals and local Jams starting with the Gardner Winter Music Festival in Morgantown W. VA in February.

So, on to "Something New". The Dream's not over for a lot of us still playing music who were inspired to pursue it by John and his mates. Thanks John, music continues to enrich my life and you ignited my interest in it all those years ago. What a wonderful ride it was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Smw33PKJA
    -----
    Northfield A5 Special
    Eastman MD315, Kentucky KM-150
    OME Tupelo 12" open-back
    B&P A-Scale 12" open-back, Zach Hoyt Fretless neck w/Vega pot
    Circa 1900 S.S. Stewart Universal Favorite
    Fawley 5-string open-back, Prust fretless tackhead
    Epiphone ES335 DOT, Seagull S(6), Taylor 114ce
    (2) Old German Fiddles
    1989 Peavey Dyna-Bass

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    Huh? did I miss something in there about your qualifications in the field of behavioral health?
    Unfortunately MandolinMick is dead on, Mr. Lennon had a lot of problems that don't take a psychologist to recognize. I won't enumerate them here, but any decent bio will provide some startling insight into Lennon's personal life. This said in full recognition of musical genius which I in way want to detract from.
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

I was hooked from the first, "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah," but then I'm a sucker for the Bauhaus, "less is more," school of thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
    I was hooked from the first, "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah," but then I'm a sucker for the Bauhaus, "less is more," school of thought.
    I don't suppose this is a popular view over on the rococo banjo HO!

(Hiya Lee )

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    That is what keeps my songwriting so good - standards.
    In the words of Dr. Eugene Strickland: I must say, your assertion brought a chortle of wry amusement to my lips.

"As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot." -John Lennon

"Nobody controls me. I'm uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me, and that's just barely possible." -John Lennon

"I am going into an unknown future, but I'm still all here, and still while there's life, there's hope." -John Lennon (December 1980)

"I don't believe in killing whatever the reason!" -John Lennon

"I consider that my work won't be finished until I'm dead and buried, and I hope that's a long long time." -John Lennon, Dec. 1980

"One of my great memories of John is from when we were having some argument. I was disagreeing and we were calling each other names. We let it settle for a second and then he lowered his glasses and he said: "It's only me." And then he put his glasses back on again. To me, that was John. Those were the moments when I actually saw him without the facade, the armor, which I loved as well, like anyone else. It was a beautiful suit of armor. But it was wonderful when he let the visor down and you'd just see the John Lennon that he was frightened to reveal to the world." -Paul McCartney (on John Lennon)

In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    Till we found the sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Duane.......
    Last edited by Duane Graves; Dec-17-2010 at 2:50pm.
    "....if you can't find a way out...go deeper in..."

Eastman 805D
    Fender 53S SB