Thread: LA area amateur mandolin orchestra?

Default LA area amateur mandolin orchestra?

I posted this in the Jams forum too, but thought this would also be a good place to suggest: Wondering if any LA-area players would like to get together to play some easy classical pieces in the traditional of the old amateur mando orchestras. I am not advanced at all, so all skill levels would be welcome (would hate to start a club I couldn't join). Good chance to break out your mandolas and mandocellos and play some different music. I would be interested in playing on weekends, maybe once a month or so. Just gauging interest right now. If a handful of people are interested, I will find a place to play and we can set about selecting some music.

Default Re: LA area amateur mandolin orchestra?

jjh, it's always good to hear about someone interested in starting a mandolin orchestra. While it does seem that there isn't an orchestra currently organized in LA there is a fine orchestra down in San Diego. Here's the link to their MySpace page. Some of the San Diego members might know some folks in LA who would also like to band together.

I would be remiss as a member of CMSA (the Classical Mandolin Society of America) if I didn't encourage you to join our organization, which includes hundreds of musicians who belong to mandolin orchestras around North America. Of course, you might already be a member. Many CMSA members could give you excellent advice on how to feed and nurture a mandolin ensemble.

While there are 20-40 mandolin orchestras around the country today there is plenty of room for growth. It always amazes me when I think about some of the large cities that don't have orchestras while smaller cities like Dayton (host of the 2009 CMSA convention), Kalamazoo or Traverse City, MI have thriving groups.

I wish you the best of luck.

John G.

Check for latest info under Social Groups- Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra or contact me at jeffherd3000@yahoo.com

We are through the looking glass! Jams, (ahem), rehearsals for the Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra to take place the first Saturday of each month beginning in February (beginning 2/5/11) at the Santa Monica Academy of Music (2414 Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica) from 12pm to 2pm. Please go to Social Groups, find Los Angeles Mandolin Orchestra, and RSVP for the first meeting as soon as you can (or do so directly to jeffherd3000@yahoo.com). Also, please indicate what instrument you will be playing. This will enable us to determine what piece of music we will choose as we have pieces for all sorts of combinations of instruments. Please do not RSVP here. Thanks!