Thread: Mel Bay's Mandolin Scales and Studies

Default Mel Bay's Mandolin Scales and Studies

So I'm going to have some time through the holidays and figured I would try something I've been meaning to for years (yes years!).

I got Mel Bay's Mandolin Scales and Studies and am going to start working through the excercies. Hopefully I can continue it for months.

I'm hoping to get feedback as to whether my plan is the best for what I want to get out of it.

Goal: To improve my leads, knowledge of the fret board and overall technique.

Plan: To work through the book scales and excercies focusing on the key's I primarily play in (pentatonics first, then full scales and the excercies). Like many, I do a lot in G - so mess around with all the G's. Do that for a few days - then add in A, E & D (continuing to practice what I've already learned daily). Sort of initially focus on what I'm already playing - then slowly branch out into key's that I don't use much as time allows.

Thoughts?

Also, after a few months of this, how much do you think it will help? Will I create muscle memory to improve my leads? Will it take longer? Or will I just be a really good scale player.

Thanks!
    Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

Default Re: Mel Bay's Mandolin Scales and Studies

Truth be told, I like the Getting into Jazz Mandolin (FFCP) method for scales. Check it out. He breaks it down such that all the major scales boil down to four basic patterns that can be moved up the neck as needed. From there, only small changes to the basic pattern will give any of the other scales you might ever want to learn.

Even if you aren't interested in jazz, the scale method and the exercises are really valuable, IMO.

As far as "is it worthwhile" goes, well, I think so. But I'm kind of crazy that way. Scales are kind if boring, but if you ever hit that one song in F# major, you'll be ready.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Andy

"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Awsome recommendation Andy - thanks. I will take a look at that. In fact, it brings me to another question. A few years ago while taking lessons, my teacher spent some time on the CAGE method for mando (which reminds me of the FFCP). I've since lost my tab'd notes of those lessons. Does anyone know of a book/website that goes has that info? I'd like to revisit the "C" and the "E".

I think I'll jump on jazzmando and play with FFCP as a part of my practice.

Anyone else have thoughts on what I should expect to get out of scale work?
    Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

This link has some helpful CAGED resources

http://www.cagedguitarsystem.net/

You can spend a lot of time delving into the materials at www.jazzmando.com before purchasing the book. There is plenty there to keep you occupied for a while.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!