Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Allen and Frank Wakefield

Default Re: Red Allen and Frank Wakefield

I'm pretty new to the cafe and lack any sense of etiquette when it comes to thread-life etc.
    I am, however, a long-time Frank Wakefield fan and just had to comment on relevant threads. No matter how old!
    The Kitchen Tapes is my personal favorite bluegrass album of all-time. Frank's mandolin is absolutely on fire and the song selection absolutely perfect. The low production value only adds to the authenticity of the music. Bluegrass at its finest!

If you haven't seen it. Here is a great podcast of the Dawg talking about Kitchen Tapes with Danny Barnes:

https://acousticdisc.com/podcast/

3. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Blog Entries

The Kitchen Tapes is fabulous in my mind anyway! Great duo right there! I somehow found a CD maybe from Dawg's site? It has some old records on it and Dawg plays on one of them. Sorry I don't recall the name, someone may chime in.

I have been irritated to have been ignored by Wake Frankfield several times. I hope I never see him again! He’s got to be one of the most rude and evil people I’ve never seen.

Just keep in mind that this is written in the inimitable “Frank Wakefield” style.
    He looked at me when I spoke to him in his style, he looked at the guy standing next to me who thought I was an awful jerk and said “This boy is wiiiise!”
    I was touched.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I have only just been made aware of this recording by this thread popping up, and have downloaded it from Acoustic Disc website.
    Bren

Here's a re-release of th 1964 Folkways album, with out-takes included. Bill Keith and Pete Kuykendall playing banjo on various cuts. Can't beat this stuff!

Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I love Frank. He is a musician in the best sense of the word. It's all about the music. Some players have successfully self-branded, treating bluegrass as a niche music-industry platform on which profit is derived (woof). All that's anathema to Frank's character, and I argue its for the better. This is also ironic considering Frank will tell you with a straight face he's the best mandolin player since Bill Monroe. And if joy through expression is the benchmark by which musical accomplishment is judged, maybe he's even better than Bill! That's it! The joy he experiences playing mandolin is truly inspirational and, no small blessing to his students, infectious. It's on display from the stage or across a table--whenever his F5 is in his hands. Some think his stage presence and antics overbearing, but he just can't help himself. He's having too much fun. I've seen more happiness from Frank in a $15 one-hour private lesson (before he even opens the door!) than many of the other "big name" guys can muster over an entire stage performance. The guy has had the fire for a really long time and he isn't even trying. Am I being hyperbolic? I may be a little biased. Frank taught me 'Soldiers Joy,' the first song I learned on the mandolin with a lot of... joy. And I really appreciate it.