Thread: Electric Pickup question

Question Electric Pickup question

I just picked up my first mandolin. (Yeah!) It's a Johnson MA-115-E. The model is no longer made. The person who had it before the guy I bought it from took out the electric pickup along with the pick guard. Price reflected the missing parts. Sounds fine but looks bad with the big holes on the front. I was thinking I would just start with this one and upgrade soon but I kind of like this one. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to get a new pickup? How do I know what will fit? I'm brand new to the mandolin. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin1small.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	81022

Default Re: Electric Pickup question

That setup looks like it is exactly like the Ibenez 511's configuration. You might put the word out for a busted 511 to use as parts. The 511 sells on ebay just under 200 so if one is damaged it wouldn't pay to repair a serious issue like the neck etc. If you don't intend to re-electrify it then using an 511 pick guard layout (without the pickup accommodation) would cover the pickup hole and give you the guard.

If you just want to cover it up. I think I could template my pick guard with paper and then scan it it and ship it to you via email including screw locations without a lot of trouble.

Replacing the electronics might involve taking the body apart and that could get pricey.

Replacing it with the same unit is reasonable. Here is one for $80 complete with eletronics.

Regards,
    Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

If you think you can or think you can't... you're likely right!

Eastman MD515, amid many guitars and a dulcimer.

I don't see how just a pick guard is going to cover that pickup hole or the holes left by the knobs/pots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin1small.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	81025  
    Bill Snyder

Actually, the Johnson 115E and Savannah 115E is the same. You can find them on eBay (new and used). Here is a new one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savannah-ELE...item43ac7c01e1

womandolina, since you already got yours without the pickup and knobs, the best is to find the pickup + knobs to install back in to make it look (and work) perfect.
    The trouble is where to order this kind of pickup. I have been searching and the source would be from "broken" mandolins that use the same electronics (Fender, Ibanez, Harmonia, etc..) .
    I Have been searching but could not find any place that sell this kind of pickup for mandolins.

The model he has the pick guard holds the pickup. So if you refashioned a pick guard in the same shape but didn't include the hole for the pickup then it would cover the hole in the body completely. My Ibenez 511 is the same layout from the looks of it but I verified that with some pictures of this mandolin on the net where they have the pickup in place.

Here is a picture of my Ibenez 511...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kens Ibanez Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	296.0 KB 
ID:	81026
    ... you'll see the pick guard includes the pickup very clearly in this picture. This Johnson's pick guard was the same way.
    Blessings,
    Kip...

I don't care about electrifying it. I really just want to cover the holes. I paid $50 for it. From what I see here, it probably makes sense to get a new one at some point. Thanks everyone for all the info.

Well if you take a look at the picture of my mandolin above. Your Johnson had a similar pick guard configuration. so if you take a piece of paper and notch it out to get by the neck. Then draw and cut a shape around it to cover the holes. you could then cut yourself or have anyone that does counter tops to cut out a replacement guard. that could be screwed or glue on.

Let us know!

Kip...
    Blessings,
    Kip...

womandolina,
    if you just want to cover the holes, then cutting a piece of cardboard (or veneer to be more fancy) makes a lot of sense. Or better buy from eBay a pickup "cover" for a few bugs (for 3 even if you only need 1). you can use them to plug in the opening. It does look like a pickup without any electronics in it. And make sure what ever you use got mounted securely to avoid rattling.