Thread: $1200 cigar box "mandolin"?

Default $1200 cigar box "mandolin"?

Default Re: $1200 cigar box "mandolin"?

I suppose some folklore collector would be interested in it, tho I also highly doubt that someone would pay $1200 for it. Man, you could get something that actually plays for that kind of money. Of course, I think it would be worth much more to a collector if it had some documentation, like it was made in prison by a guy on death row or was found in a barn in West Virginia. Antiques Road Show is a little odd sometimes and I think gives people some warped views of what things are worth. Then again, it is just their opinion. I will wait to see when this guy puts it on eBay for $1200 minimum and then we can either laugh that it doesn't sell or else be amazed when it does.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I saw that episode this past Monday. First one I had watched in a couple of years. I thought the appraiser was ...mistaken.
    I think old cigar box instruments are too common and this one too poor an example for it to have a value of anywhere near that.
    Of course I am not an appraiser or dealer of such things so what do I know.
    Bill Snyder

Blog Entries

Does seem oddly overvalued, even to me, a newby. I've seen cigar box mandos on eBay, and this one isn't nearly as nice. The fretboard and nut are missing, there was no discussion at all of its provenance. It's only value seems to be as an example of that particular style of folk art, and not a particularly nice example either. I've seen a nicer one in my local music store, though I didn't notice what price they'd put on it.

I got excited when I saw this thread. I thought my wife might have taken my cigar box mandolin for appraisal - I guess she didn't.
    Now this beauty was made in West Virginia - by me. Still working on it, I might have set the neck angle a bit too high. Folk art should be functional.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cigar box mandolin 01.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	67062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cigar box mandolin 02.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	67063  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

if it does go for big bucks it'll offer a whole new incentive for "stressed."

jim - why no sound holes? i've always been interested in the cigarbox mystique and yours is a beaut'.

Destroyer of Mandolins

It's important to remember that The Antiques Road Show and similar programs aren't really about antiquities and their value, they're about the lore of buried treasure. Getting something for nothing, finding the jewel in the ashes, all that. I've seen ridiculous prices attached to a lot of items on those programs. Take note that the appraiser never offers to buy the item.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

That is why I enjoy Pawn Stars or American Pickers. Those guys actually buy things and sell them. Check out: NY Times article.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Remember, the mandolin was being evaluated as folk art, not as a musical instrument. No one was suggesting that it would ever be played. Whole different standard for folk art: you see paintings that look like amateurish caricatures, crudely made carvings, weird dioramas made by prisoners, all kinds of inferior-to-commercial-quality stuff being appraised for high prices. I defer to the appraiser's knowledge of the folk art market. Sometimes I wonder why the mere fact that a fairly-unskilled person spent many hours crafting a crude approximation of a mandolin, confers special value on it. But I'm not a collector, or "into" folk art, so I can just say, "I think the original $50 was too much for it."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Well, that's why I found it interesting.. The appraiser was very careful to say it actually was at one time a playable instrument (talking about the nut, the fingerboard, the bridge, etc.). I think it's pretty clear this thing was never used to make music.

It's doubtful that it was ever even a good cigar box.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Ken Farmer, the appraiser played guitar in a bluegrass band around Southwest VA in the late 70's/early 80's. If I'm not mistaken the band included Rickie and Ronnie Simpkins and maybe even Sammy Shelor. He also had a day job and an antique store that later became his full time job.

As someone already pointed out, the "mandolin" was appraised as an example of folk art, not necessarily a usable instrument.

That being said, a few years ago I saw Ken on the Roadshow way over value a tenor banjo with a mother of toilet seat fingerboard and headstock overlay.
    Tom Mylet

It behooves those appraisers to quote high prices. There in the business! I, like other posters, have seen some just unbelievable prices put on items that I know because I used to deal in them and still keep an eye on the market.

Destroyer of Mandolins

Allen and the others are correct to point out that it's folk art, but guys, LOOK at it. Musical instrument or not, that's the ugliest hunk of whittling I've seen in a long time. Come on. And it's worth more because somebody spattered paint on it? I don't know art, but I know when my chain is being pulled.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Blog Entries

Even as folk art, it's hard to see how it's worth $1200. There did not appear to be any mention of who the artist was, where it was made, or anything that would give an indication of what kind of art it was considered to be. I guess if you just liked the looks of it, you might pay dearly for it, but otherwise, it's not even a good example of folk art IMO. Now if you could prove it was made by Andy Warhol or something...

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    if it does go for big bucks it'll offer a whole new incentive for "stressed."

jim - why no sound holes? i've always been interested in the cigarbox mystique and yours is a beaut'.
    I wasn't sure what to do for sound holes. I made a cigar box uke a while back that also did not have sound holes. The buyer said he was going to cut in his own. I'd like to make a fiddle cigar box once I find a trashed fiddle with a good neck.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

If all you want is the neck you purchase them from International Violin. Prices start at $40. There are also scores of them for sale on ebay.
    Bill Snyder

I see where Elderly has new cigar box mandolins with a pickup for under $200.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.