Thread: Teaching and mando rental

Default Teaching and mando rental

I live in a small town with very few stringed instrument players and no instrument stores within 35 miles or so. I have been thinking about teaching basic mandolin, banjo-mandolin and possibly tenor banjo. I was thinking of renting some of mine to interested students (young or adult). I have some lower end mandos, good players but nothing expensive and I maintain them myself so I am not terribly concerned about wear and tear.

What, in your experience, is charged by teachers to rent similar instruments to students. The dollar value of most of these instruments would be roughly $250 each.

Also... What is the normal charge for a private lesson I/2 hour or whatever is normal duration.

Just thinking out loud.
    Bart McNeil

Default Re: Teaching and mando rental

Of course it depends on how much you value your time. I only teach as a side hobby and because people request it. I charge $20 per 1/2 hour. I have plenty of free time, so I don't mind being on the inexpensive side. I've provided a whole lot of instruction for no charge at all, in my lifetime, too.

I offer to lease my beginner instruments for $50/month -- which I feel is reasonable considering that I can often find decent beginner-appropriate instruments at the pawn shop for $50-$100. But seems that my students have always acquired instruments of their own, with the exception of one hammered dulcimer student I had.

If you want to make a living doing this, I suggest you charge more than what I am.

Thanks Catmandu2.

This would strictly be an avocation. I am more interested in promoting, in a small way, do-it-yourself music as entertainment than making real money.. I do think though, that charging a reasonable amount is an important incentive for the learner.

Good info...
    Bart McNeil

Destroyer of Mandolins

Hi Bart,

I think you're intent is really cool. Since you're not looking to make a bundle in teaching (yeah, I went there with it), just charge what you think folks in your area can pay. In these times many don't have a lot to shell out for niceties, but I think you're right about a charge being an incentive. Definitely rock on!!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user