Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly constitutes a "setup"?

Default Re: What exactly constitutes a "setup"?

Hi Phillip,

Honestly, I do this by eye and do not measure it. I find it difficult to get an accurate measurement with something like a feeler gauge. The first thousand or so instruments I setup, I would measure away. After a while I figured out I am more accurate doing it by eye. I have now done enough instruments that it has become second nature and I know exactly how low to go. A side benefit to this is that I can do it extremely fast without it being sloppy. Very important considering the extent of the setup I am doing and the prices of the instruments I am working on.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Not to deviate too far from the OP but here is my setup story. I bought my 505 from The Mandolin Store and was extremely satisfied. Felt great, played great - no issues. But over a few months as a beginner I thought the action could go a little lower. Wasn't sure and may have been wrong but why not. So I go looking for a local luthier and where do I end up? Dr. Dave Cohen's shop in Richmond, VA. Talk about using a sledge on a finish nail. He inspected my mando and ended up doing some minor work while I sat in his workshop watching and talking with him. I believe my 505 was the first he had seen and he remarked that he was surprised regarding the build and sound quality for an import and price paid. When he finished I was surprised at how much he had improved what was already a great feeling instrument. But as great of a setup he did, the educational experience for me was priceless. He explained everything he was doing and I learned a fantastic amount regarding setup and mandolins in general. He then invited me into his house to show me various finished products, to include a research mandolin where the top and bottom were screwed on. He even let me, an absolutely raw beginner, hold and play all of these models, most of which I could only dream of affording, let alone buy. Dr. Cohen played a classical piece on his mandola (first time hearing such) and then played sections of some favorite mandolin music on CD. I left his home with an even greater appreciation for mandolins than I had when I arrived. And I now had some insight about the skill and knowledge needed for a lutheir to build and setup great mandolins. More experienced mandolin players than I can attest to the qualify of a Cohen mandolin but I can easily attest to the generosity and friendliness of their builder.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpthompson View Post
    I see this term a lot, and I know it includes some important things such as nut height and bridge adjustment for action and intonation. But is there anything else?

I keep seeing that many mandos don't arrive properly setup, so I'm wondering what exactly has to be done to them to be considered properly setup.

Thanks for any guidance.
    Hey Michael, you look really familiar. Are you related to Danny Thompson, the great guitar player out of Indianapolis?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
    Jim... I cannot speak for other shops, but a pro setup at our shop is $75.00 and that includes strings. We go through the instrument completely and ensure it will perform at its best. Some shops will be higher and some will be lower. We have not increased our price for a number of years. We will probably have to sometime, but we do try to hold our prices as much as possible.
    Thanks for the info Joe.......much appreciated. The local music shop owner/luthier has been around here for many years (George David Armstrong) & he has graciously agreed to do a professional set-up for me this week. Can't believe I waited 6 years to get this done & after reading all the threads on how to do a set-up on the cafe & the tips from experts such as you I am eager to get the instrument back to see how it plays...:-)
    Thanks again Joe. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
    Peace,
    Jim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tele295 View Post
    Hey Michael, you look really familiar. Are you related to Danny Thompson, the great guitar player out of Indianapolis?
    Not that I know of.