Thread: Rattle Snake F 5 Loars by Olin Davis

Default Rattle Snake F 5 Loars by Olin Davis

Anybody play one?

Default Re: Rattle Snake F 5 Loars by Olin Davis

It's been at least 6 years since I last held onto a rattlesnake but I feel sure he has continued the same quality and sound I heard back then. I just don't see many of those snakes around these parts to get a feel for them. Nice copies and worthy of ownership.

A pickin buddy had one, good faithful F-5 copy, true to spec.

I like mine. I've had it for 11 years. It is well broken in and has good volume and that old Gibson sound (not my words, but what I was told by somebody who heard me warming up before a show when the mando was six weeks old and came backstage to check it out). It is exactly what I wanted when I ordered it in 1999. I've heard and played a few other ones, and they all sounded good. Olin was very pleasant to deal with and he listened to what I wanted.

I've had the pleasure of hearing Andy play his Rattle Snake and it sounds great - his playing isn't too bad either.
    Marc B.

I bought a Rattlesnake mandolin about a year ago. I think it was one of the last made by Olin Davis. I liked the way it sounded but it was very hard to tune. I bought a new set of waverlys for it and called Collings and Ellis to replace the old tuners and they said they would only work on their own mandolins. I have a 22 year old Stiver so I decided to call Lou Stiver and see if he would repair my rattlesnake. He said he could repair it so I had Lou Stiver install them in the rattlesnake. He had to fill the drilled holes for the tuners with wooden dowels and re-drill the holes from the bottom of the peg head using a proper jig. I think he only charged me about $250 for his work. Lou was really great to work with and did a fine job-I really like Lou Stiver! My rattlesnake is easier to tune now. Thank you Lou Stiver from Polk Pennsylvania.

Casey Campbell plays one; it sounds amazing. Plenty of videos on YouTube of him playing it.

I’m absolutely delighted with my 2016 Rattlesnake #75. It has everything I wanted: volume in spades, clarity, tone, traditional look, beautiful woods...
    This Rattlesnake is a great instrument!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snake.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	202.9 KB 
ID:	195556
    Rattlesnake F5
    Lebeda master model F5