Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just lost my Gibson :(

Default I just lost my Gibson :(

Dear Cafe guests

I just have to share my horrible experience with you, also in case someone of you might stumble upon it out there in the world.

In the process of moving from Denmark to Providence Rhode Island I just lost my 1915 Gibson A-1. While I was trying to juggle my three suitcases and sleeping daughter out of the bus, through the snow and into a waiting car I forgot my mandolin under the bus seat. I have called all kinds of lost and founds and waited on hold with the busline for the better part of the past few days, and ... nothing. Of course no one turned it in. I really hope I would have had the combination of decency and valor it would take to turn in such an instrument if I found one - but I coudnl't know for sure. Anyway I feel so incredibly stupid and I have an empty hole in my chest like when you're suffering over love - I never had this feeling for an object before.

I didn't keep a record of the serial number (stupidly!) but I was able to track it to 1915 once. It is niquotine orange and has a very nice laquer, it doesn't have its original bridge because I fitted it with a Fishman pick-up to play electrically. It is in its original black wooden case with green plush. If anyone stumbles upon a mandolin like this that someone is offering for sale or that lies on the floor of a bus running between New York and Boston, or in a lost and found office somewhere, please think of me. I will give the best reward my meager funds permit.

Otherwise take this as a moral tale and remember to never, never ever, leave your mandolin underneath a bus seat - keep it on your lap, tie it to your leg - but never lay it out of sight when anything might distract you.

Magnus - Providence, RI

Default Re: I just lost my Gibson :(

So sorry to hear about that, but I'm glad you made it through with the most important item intact: your daughter.

Man, that just...... sucks.

If you win the Northfield, it won't replace your loss. But will replace your instrument

If I win the Northfield, you can have my Eastman 905. Then maybe you can start writing the Lost Mandolin Blues.

What Northfield? And thanks, both of you.

EDIT: registered!

Make sure you post on the Cafe "Lost and Found" so as many members as possible can remember and keep a look out.

They're raffling off a Northfield mando. When I win, I'm gonna sell it, buy an old Gibson, & pocket the difference.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Maunus,

Northfield Instruments and The Cafe are giving away a Northfield mandolin on Jan. 31 - go here to register.
    Marc B.

Blog Entries

Bummer, Magnus. I hope it finds its way back to you.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Magnus,

I will also say, if I win the Northfield, you will get one of my mandolins. We can't have a Cafe member without a mandolin!!

So sorry to read about this.
    Jim D

Oh yeah, you can have mine too if you want it (did I leave that out?) when I win.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I'm sorry for your loss. I sympathize, in part, because it's the kind of thing I would do.

Getting the word out on it is probably a smart thing to do. You never know, people may surprise you. Where were you when you left it on the bus? It might help to alert more of the locals there, but things can eventually be replaced. Stuff happens.

I got off the bus here in Providence. I don't know where the bus went form there and noone from the bus line (Megabus/Dattco) have wanted to tell me. I have done a similar thing once before and I actually got my instrument back that time - but that was in Denmark which is a much smaller country so things are not as easily lost - although it was still incredibly lucky. This time it seems my luck has run out.

Thanks for your sympathy all - and I sure hope one of you win the Northfield!
    Last edited by Maunus; Jan-28-2011 at 5:31pm.

I'd keep a look out on Craigs List and ebay, although CL is probably easier for thieves to use and keep below the radar.

I posted a reward offer on Craigs list. I just don't know if I'd feel safe going to meet someone claiming to have found it.

I understand you must feel terrible. You did the right thing making this public, then for the reward if someone claims to have found it you could ask for a detailed description, or a photo that would allow you to recognize your mandolin, and choose the place where you would meet that person. Keep checking the ads, you never know.

I hope you get it back.

I did the same thing once. This was a different situation as it happened on a city bus. I got off and, as the bus pulled away, I realized what I'd done. Fortunately it was rush hour, when buses tend to bunch up, and another one was coming along right behind the one I'd just exited. With adrenaline surging through my body I jumped on, explained what had happened and, amazingly, the driver was sympathetic. He actually booted it and, believe it or not, blew right by a couple of stops and caught up to the first bus at the next one. These were pre-radio days so he just honked and flashed his lights to get the first driver's attention. I jumped out (don't think I even paid a fare) and ran up to the first bus. I barged through the door, charged down the aisle only to find my mandolin sitting on a seat beside a sweet old gray-haired granny type. She smiled at me and said "I thought you might be back for this". I still don't understand why she would even imagine I could wind up back on the same bus but at the time I didn't question it. I said thanks to her and the driver and as the bus drove off I sat on a bench and learned how to breathe again. The second driver, my hero, left once he saw me exit with the mandolin and all I got to do was wave at him.
    Last edited by mandolirius; Jan-28-2011 at 7:25pm.

So sorry for your misfortune, hope that Mando finds its way back to you.

JR

I feel for you brother. That's got to be a nightmare. I wish you all the luck in the world getting your mandolin back.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borzelleri View Post
    I'd keep a look out on Craigs List and ebay, although CL is probably easier for thieves to use and keep below the radar.
    Why do you think "thieves" are involved here Bob?

Maunus, very sorry to hear of your loss -- it can happen to anyone I suppose.

Did you by chance have your name anywhere on the mandolin? I hope so because then there is a chance.

It is too late to help in this case but here is something I do when I travel with an instrument. 1) I have a very sturdy luggage tag attached with a strong plastic tie to the handle. The tag has with my name, address, cell and email (some may balk at that much information but that is what I do; and 2) inside in the pick compartment I put a business card with all that contact information and on the back of the card in big letters" "REWARD FOR RETURN" -- just something to consider.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Not that this makes you feel better... this story does have a happy ending

Yo Yo Ma's Lost Stradivari Cello
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

That would be heartbreaking. I remember the time someone stole my son's faithful bodhrán (Irish frame drum) out of his car. Our sense of loss was only deepened by the knowledge that the thief probably had no idea what it was. It's such a sinking feeling, isn't it?

Watch e-Bay for in EBay is loaded with stolen instruments. Mine was stolen and I found it on e-bay being sold by a pawn shop.

I feel your pain Maunus.............when I was traveling back to the lower 48 from Alaska a couple of years ago, I was on one of those internet stations and after my 15 minutes on the web I simply got up and grabbed my pack & walked off leaving my Gibson F-9 leaning up against the wall. I realized my error about 15 minutes later & sprinted down the concourse to the site & to my horror my mandolin was gone. Fortunately one of the security dudes found it & took it to lost & found. That was my 1st place to visit & much to my relief there it was. I am hoping that you have similar luck in tracking down your Gibson. Keep at it. The bus line must have some clue. Don't give up.
    Peace,
    Jim

Maunus - really sorry to hear what happened to you, and I do hope to god that the mandolin will turn up and you two will be reunited. Best of luck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maunus View Post
    I got off the bus here in Providence. I don't know where the bus went form there and noone from the bus line (Megabus/Dattco) have wanted to tell me. I have done a similar thing once before and I actually got my instrument back that time - but that was in Denmark which is a much smaller country so things are not as easily lost - although it was still incredibly lucky. This time it seems my luck has run out.

Thanks for your sympathy all - and I sure hope one of you win the Northfield!
    Maunus; so sorry to hear about your loss, but don't give up yet.

Be sure to post about this (and offer a reward) on the Dattco Facebook page

Also, it looks like the northeast cities now served by megabus.com include: Albany, Atlantic City, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Harrisburg, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Providence, Rochester, State College, Syracuse, Toronto and Washington D.C. I'd post a similar ad on ALL of these Craigslist pages.

Good luck & keep us posted.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters