Thread: Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin in English

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin in English

The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
    Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin in English
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001316.shtml

Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin, the essential treatise from the master of Neopolitan mandolin technique is now made accessible to the English-speaking student thanks to the work of Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Raffaele Calace Method for Mandolin in English

Excellent news!! Long time coming.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I second Jim's comment.
    KristinEliza

Facebook

I must get a copy of this!

JR

By looking at the picture on the cover of Raffaele Calace holding a Mandolin. He must have been a very small guy.

Those liuto cantabiles are monsters. The Munier Orchestra in Philadelphia have a Calace liuto. The neck is more than a baseball bat -- more like a bridge cable.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Black View Post
    By looking at the picture on the cover of Raffaele Calace holding a Mandolin. He must have been a very small guy.
    I thought the same thing when I saw the photo..... Somewhere on the MC is a picture of Alex T playing a liuto cantabile (not certain of the maker). It is huge.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I was going to post a picture of RC and his liuto but you can't post pictures on these newsfetcher threads.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjFdfjqIHHA

is the instrument in question (i.e. the one played by Alex, of course, not Calace himself).

QUITE impressive!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Wonderful, Victor, both the composition and the playing. The accompanying text from Alex is very informative as well. I did not know this was a Puglisi instrument...... The Sicilian makers are usually overshadowed by those from the peninsula. Of course they made instruments across a wide range of quality levels. I have owned a few and am a big fan of their very eclectic design sensibilities. Big props to the family from Catania. I hope this helps raise them further up into the radar screen.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Pictures of the Calace liuto from (I think) 1920s can be found here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?1898-Post-a-Picture-of-Your-Bowlback-(or-any-others)&p=89071&viewfull=1#post89071
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Wonderful, Victor, both the composition and the playing.
    Thank you, my friend! Indeed, the playing is nothing short of ASTOUNDING, especially considering that I wrote this piece for dear Ali, to be played on her "Beast", ~merely~ a lil' old octave-mandolin ;-)

And, speaking of the radar screen, I would absolutely LOVE to write something expressly for this magnificent instrument, but of course that takes pragmatically a lower priority to those pieces for... *ahem*... somewhat more abundant instruments.

An absolutely GLORIOUS plucky thing, all the same... What would I/we not give to have heard Raffaele the Great actually play that liuto! Perhaps his works for it can be revived, and more frequently heard.

Cheers,

Victor
    Last edited by vkioulaphides; Feb-03-2011 at 2:33pm.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Hello all !...

! Has Somebody (because I am seeking strongly for…) the Liuto Cantabile method written by Raffaele Calace

...And (may be, why not) other from him (or other such as: "The Bickford Method for Mando-cello" in 3 volumes) for Mandocello please ?

Thank you very much by advance !

Quote Originally Posted by Irénée View Post
    Hello all !...

! Has Somebody (because I am seeking strongly for…) the Liuto Cantabile method written by Raffaele Calace

...And (may be, why not) other from him (or other such as: "The Bickford Method for Mando-cello" in 3 volumes) for Mandocello please ?

Thank you very much by advance !
    Already answered this a week ago in your post from another thread: Contact me, I got the Bickford. If you already found the source, just let me know.