Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Edition of Calace Method

Default New Edition of Calace Method

Now that is exciting news... Calace Method.

Of course, I wish it was published coilbound. It looks like perfect bound to me which is always a pain. I have been getting my last few music books bound like that cut and coilbound so they will lie flat on the stand.

I also wonder how much it was edited from the original.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Feb-02-2011 at 4:00pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: New Edition of Calace Method

You're in luck, then. It is indeed coil-bound. And includes every sentence in the original, every example, and every exercise. Much care was taken to remain true to the intent and form of the original writing. Page numbering is consistent with the original as well.

A table of contents for each part and a glossary were also added.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Burcham View Post
    You're in luck, then. It is indeed coil-bound. And includes every sentence in the original, every example, and every exercise. Much care was taken to remain true to the intent and form of the original writing. Page numbering is consistent with the original as well.

A table of contents for each part and a glossary were also added.
    So you're the Amy Burcham then I'll assume, the translator of this material!

Quote from Mike Marshall:

"Thanks to the translation skills of Amy Burcham and the detailed insights provided by Caterina Lichtenberg, the English-speaking world can for the first time finally read ALL of Calace's words provided alongside the original notation in a clean, readable presentation. This will hopefully help all of us begin to unravel what is necessary to elevate our technique to this level."

And what a joy it has been to work with Mike and Caterina on this. Their level of engagement has been pegging the meter since we began the work. So many words flew across the net about how to convey the precise nuance of Calace's meaning (and he is VERY precise!). The direction and guidance provided by each of them was itself a college course in Calace and the tradition documented so comprehensively by his method.

It was important to us also to present the work so that all the examples could be read and used. In addition to occasional Translators' Notes providing background or correlating info, the "editing" that was done really centered around straightening and cleaning the original 1910 notation, which was scanned (and, not being coil-bound!, must have been quite difficult to digitize - for which we all owe a great debt).
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

Excellent, Amy. It was hard to tell from the picture on the Elderly site. I have been working from a photocopy of this method for many years, so this is a welcome edition/addition.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I was trying to cut down on my book purchases, but I really think I can not pass this one up. It's hard to think of anybody else who left a legacy like Calace as a composer, performer, and luthier all at once.

Already ordered mine!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

8. The following members say thank you to KristinEliza for this post:

I have hard a lot about this method (the original) from several here on the forum. I will be ordering mine when Elderly opens this morning.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

This is great news! Calace´s method has been on my wish list for a long time. I understood this is translated from the original? Good - what I have heard during the years is that the the original in photocopies (available from Calace) is at places difficult to read, and the German translation by Prof Wilden-Husgen (available from Trekel) would be inaccurate at places. So maybe this first English translation combines the good parts from both?

I´m sort of classic mandolin method accumulator (to paraphrase Jim) and this more or less completes my collection. Quite unfortunately, this does not mean I can PLAY through Munier, Pettine, Ranieri and Mair... ;-) Arto

Quote Originally Posted by Arto View Post
    I´m sort of classic mandolin method accumulator (to paraphrase Jim) and this more or less completes my collection. Quite unfortunately, this does not mean I can PLAY through Munier, Pettine, Ranieri and Mair... ;-) Arto
    I assume you mean you have a collection of the important ones. I prob have 40-50 method books but am always finding a few more out there of little consequence. Then again I do find occasionally ones that are worth bothering with. For instance, take a look at Michael's page of method books.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Of course you are right, Jim. I have tried to get the important ones IMHO, especially the most comprehensive.

I think I'll be ordering this too!
    One thing suprises me though -looking at the cover: he was really tiny wasn't he?!

Marc

Marc... someone made the same comment on the parallel thread here.

I assume you are joking also, right?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blast! I promised myself I would only acquire old mandolin methods from the year dot up to around year 1930 (got about 300 now.. aargh!).... but although this is published 2011,......... the contents definitely qualify for my collection.. this is a "got to have", ...off to press the "buy" button now.
    Congratulations Mike, Caterina and of course Amy.
    Best wishes
    (I wish i could say "from Sunny Scotland", but it's cold wet and blowing a gail!)

Well, I know what I'm spending my extra St. Paddy's day gig money on this year (I don't know if there's a metaphor or life lesson in playing hours of drinking songs in order to study classical music, but there should be).
    If I call my guitar my "axe," does that mean my mandolin is my hatchet?

Breedlove Quartz KF
    Kit Built Oval Hole
    Martin 000M
    Highland Harp

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/mattdeblass2

Feed My Ego, Visit My Youtube Page

Quote Originally Posted by trebleclef528 View Post
    Blast! I promised myself I would only acquire old mandolin methods from the year dot up to around year 1930 (got about 300 now.. aargh!).... but although this is published 2011,......... the contents definitely qualify for my collection.. this is a "got to have", ...off to press the "buy" button now.
    Congratulations Mike, Caterina and of course Amy.
    Best wishes
    (I wish i could say "from Sunny Scotland", but it's cold wet and blowing a gail!)
    If it helps, the original edition was from 1910, which you probably have anyway.

Also, for those ordering both books from Elderly in the US: they have a $49 minimum to qualify free shipping, so just order some strings or picks. Even if it is backordered that offer applies.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    If it helps, the original edition was from 1910, which you probably have anyway.

Also, for those ordering both books from Elderly in the US: they have a $49 minimum to qualify free shipping, so just order some strings or picks. Even if it is backordered that offer applies.
    Jim, I placed my order on Thursday morning with Elderly and they told me that it qualified for the free shipping. Maybe they are running a special to celebrate this great release; or maybe I will have a surprise on my CC.
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

You might call them to verify since it is not available at least until 2/15. I didn't check to see if the two books alone would be enough.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    You might call them to verify since it is not available at least until 2/15. I didn't check to see if the two books alone would be enough.
    Just received a note (and I am sure that others may have as well) that my copy is in the mail, actually fedex ground...and no shipping charges. Based on FedEx I can expect it on the 17th.
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

Yep...just got my shipping confirmation as well...no charge. Can't wait!

My expected delivery date is the 15th
    KristinEliza

Facebook

Blog Entries

Got my shipping confirmation also. Looking forward to it!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

The site doesn't show it as waiting on arrival, implying that it is indeed in stock. I'd order, but I should wait, as I've already spent too much lately.
    Elrod
    Gibson A2 1920(?)
    Breedlove Cascade
    Washburn 215(?) 1906-07(?)
    Victoria, B&J, New York(stolen 10/18/2011)
    Eastwood Airline Mandola

guitars:
    Guild D-25NT
    Vega 200 archtop, 1957?

It is in stock. They are shipping to me as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I ordered a copy and it rolled in today (perhaps since I am right down the road from Elderly.) It looks like it will be enjoyable to work through. I appreciate Amy's translation, it carries much of the charm of the original, I am sure. Are versions in Italian available?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Are versions in Italian available?
    Of course! There is still what was up until now THE edition, as sold by the Calace family itself. The Marshall/Lichtenberg edition is a significant upgrade in terms of quality of presentation, as much of the Calace edition is photostatic reproduction. (There is also an edition in German, as stocked by Trekel; as I have never seen it, I cannot say anything concrete about it.)

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)