Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ethical Dilemma

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Ethical Dilemma

I have a 1917 Gibson A pumpkin oval hole. It's a fine old instrument - rich, full tone, powerful presence, responsive to my playing and all in all, a fine instrument and companion on my musical journey.

Just one thing, though - I don't like the plain black peghead. It is just so - plain. I wish it said Gibson or The Gibson or had a fleur-de-lis or something. I would like to dress it up just a little bit, but I'm not sure how or whether I should. I imagine there are places that sell Gibson decals, but I am reluctant to go that route - I don't really want to support businesses whose products may be used to intentionally defraud prospective buyers, even if these same decals can be used for good purposes as well. Also, if some day down the line I want to sell this (can't see that happening, but you never know), I don't wish to be perceived as engaging in fraud - and I imagine removing such a decal would be difficult without damaging the instrument in the process.

So my question is: is there some way to decorate the peghead without compromising the integrity of either the instrument or myself?

I know I am probably letting myself in for a fair amount of ridicule here - so be it. I deserve it for being so concerned about something so superficial and inconsequential. I also am well aware that hardly anyone I expect to encounter in the near or even possibly distant future will be able to tell at a glance something is amiss. This is purely for my own peace of mind, and one of the rare times I allow myself to be so concerned about appearances. It's inner beauty that is lasting, not ephemeral superficiality. But every time I see band photographs and such, I can't help notice how plain it looks. Even the cheapest guitar has the maker's name on the headstock; why should I be denied this bit of pride?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: Ethical Dilemma

Are you asking if it's OK to modify your old Gibson?

If that's the issue, I can't see any ethical lapse from doing what you like if you're willing to accept that it might affect resale value. It's old but they made a million of 'em so it's certainly not an irreplaceable one-of-a-kind instrument of historical importance.

But maybe that wasn't your question...

That's no big deal. Get you some white paper, scissors, and some scotch tape. Some careful cutting and a bit of tape and you can make it say what ever you want.....

Blog Entries

Couldn't a fully blinged-out peghead veneer or overlay just be placed on top of the current peghead veneer, and be 'pinched on', and held in place by the tuner crowns?

If this would work, you could just remove the faux-veneer if/when you sold the mandolin.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

So, something like a laminated design that could fit around the posts? I like the non-invasive approach - shudder at the term modify, Brent, as whatever I do to an instrument, if not necessary, shouldn't be permanent. But the posts are in these metal tube sleeves, so in order for this veneer to be flush they would have to be removed, and the other thing I shudder at in such a consideration is damaging the instrument in the process.

I guess I am concerned about perceived intent. I don't want to be seen as being deceitful, as anyone who knows their mandolins will know that it's an A and shouldn't say "The Gibson." I dunno ... maybe some original design. Can't be lame, though. (Unlike my dilemma )

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Why not call Carl Gibson and have him do some custom inlay work for you.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

I've never used these guys, but you might find something cool here:

Inlay Stickers

Sign shop can make a custom decal for you.
    Stephen Perry

Just put a piece of duct tape over it, and people will assume it says Gibson underneath.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

put a the then a gouge mark
    eric allen

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I have a 1917 Gibson A pumpkin oval hole. It's a fine old instrument - rich, full tone, powerful presence, responsive to my playing and all in all, a fine instrument and companion on my musical journey.

Just one thing, though - I don't like the plain black peghead. It is just so - plain. I wish it said Gibson or The Gibson or had a fleur-de-lis or something. I would like to dress it up just a little bit, but I'm not sure how or whether I should. I imagine there are places that sell Gibson decals, but I am reluctant to go that route - I don't really want to support businesses whose products may be used to intentionally defraud prospective buyers, even if these same decals can be used for good purposes as well. Also, if some day down the line I want to sell this (can't see that happening, but you never know), I don't wish to be perceived as engaging in fraud - and I imagine removing such a decal would be difficult without damaging the instrument in the process.

So my question is: is there some way to decorate the peghead without compromising the integrity of either the instrument or myself?

I know I am probably letting myself in for a fair amount of ridicule here - so be it. I deserve it for being so concerned about something so superficial and inconsequential. I also am well aware that hardly anyone I expect to encounter in the near or even possibly distant future will be able to tell at a glance something is amiss. This is purely for my own peace of mind, and one of the rare times I allow myself to be so concerned about appearances. It's inner beauty that is lasting, not ephemeral superficiality. But every time I see band photographs and such, I can't help notice how plain it looks. Even the cheapest guitar has the maker's name on the headstock; why should I be denied this bit of pride?
    You needn't be. I don't see the "ethical" dilemma. I don't see the problem in putting the name Gibson on a Gibson. A lot of those old A's had the script silk-screened onto the peghead. That would be cheaper and less intrusive than inlay and a bit nicer than a sticker (which will always look like a sticker from up close).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    Why not call Carl Gibson and have him do some custom inlay work for you.
    Hmmm .... maybe I should call up Givson?

Quote Originally Posted by kymandolin59 View Post
    put a the then a gouge mark

The problem I'm having, mandolirius, is Gibson A's (and only A's as far as I know) have this identifying characteristic of having no identifying characteristic. So for me to put "Gibson" on it would appear to be passing it off as something other, like an A-1. Not that anyone else would notice, nor if they did care, but *I* would know. I guess then the problem becomes which I can more easily live with - the plainness, or the falseness of the decoration. To tell the truth, I am beginning to think this whole deal is rather silly.

It's your mandolin. If you want to inlay your name in abalone down the fretboard, that's your option. You know that the further you change it from "original," the less a collector will pay, but, honestly, so what? I had some mother-of-pearl snowflake position dots added to my Guild F-212XL 12-string, 'cause I didn't like the plain fretboard. Now, a 1974 Guild is somewhat less "vintage" and historic than a '17 Gibson A, but I have equally violated the "integrity" of the instrument. And, again, so what?

If the no-name headstock bothers you, get someone to inlay "The Gibson" into it. You'll be "violating" only a tad, because it is a Gibson, not a copy. Put a fleur-de-lys below it, should it strike your fancy. If it's a good-sounding, well-taken-care-of instrument, and you later want to sell or trade it, sell or trade it to another musician, not a "vintage collector." The new owner may well enjoy having a "dressed up" A.

Sometimes, IMHO, we get too timid and solicitous of "originality." I think the A will look loads better with a bit of "bling" on the headstock. Just don't make it a MOP portrait of Kat Von Dee -- or a full-color macaw, like the legendary "Parrot Loar."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Russintexas -- Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen those before. Pretty neat looking, lots of options, and they seem to be easily reversible if you want to remove them at some point in the future, so it won't hurt the "collectible" value.
    EdSherry

Blog Entries

Yeah, those are nice - fleur de lis and flowerpot included - and reasonably priced.

And also, Russ - nice avatar. You should post that over at the Mandolins In Visual Art thread, which is surely long overdue for contributions.

Allen - always the voice of reason. Thanks. Mulling it over.

Wannabe Player

Look at how many people by an F model because they "like the look". So I see no reason for ridicule. As long as you are truthful about the sticker or inlay not being original when/if it comes time to sell it then you aren't being deceitful.

There's lots of great responses here, and take my opinion for what it's worth - but one of my favorite Youtube videos is that one of John Paul Jones and Paul Gilbert playing Goin to California. If you look close, JPJ has his Zep IV rune inlaid on the headstock. I think that's cool as all get out, and I bet if you'd like to make that pumpkin top more your own then nobody could wipe the smile off your face if you get one of these inlaid on there too:

Name:  live-grateful-dead-music-skeleton.jpg
Views: 6357
Size:  11.9 KB

Paul

Blog Entries

Well ... If I wanted to go the Dead route, I might go with something like this.

Thing is, much as I love the Dead, I'm a Gibson man, through and through, nor do I want to align myself with just one band. Now, if I already had a band and there was a cool band logo ... but that is not the case. I am leaning toward getting a Gibson inlay. Any suggestions on who does this kind of work, in way south Florida if possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dead Jester.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	68076  

Wannabe Player

hmmm, is there another route you might go??

Blog Entries

There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night ...

Wannabe Player

and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone.

So there you go, follow your own path and do whatever pleases you cause you are the one who lives with your chosen path. Inlay or veneer away!!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    To tell the truth, I am beginning to think this whole deal is rather silly.
    I'd agree with that.

Blog Entries

I did say that going in.

First of all it is already a Gibson. Second, if you are that concerned about ever selling it, and about it's original re-sale value, then don't do it. Thirdly, in my experience, those plain-headed, pumpkin-topped Gibson A styles, particularly and specifically from 1917 for some reason, are extremely common, more than any other vintage Gibson mandolin, and are often inlaid with something, in just the spirit that you are suggesting. I have seen them all around the world, with plain pegheads as well as inlayed afterwards, the factory must have been busy that year.
    You could search for DePaule inlay and "dig deep" into his site and find anything that you might desire. Nicely cut Pearl also looks good just crazy-glued onto a peghead, especially if you carefully wet-stone it down to a thinner dimension either before or after installation.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Well, I was just agreeing.