Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jethro Burns Tribute

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

Default Re: Jethro Burns Tribute

Don Stiernberg's arrangement of "All of Me" in Mandolin Magazine starts with that first form as a C6: 2/5/3/x = A/G/C = 6th/5th/R. A totally cool sound, with both the 5th and 6th but no 3rd ("breaking" the "rule" about always having the 3rd and leaving out the root...).

The rootless 9th would be an F9: 3rd/9th/5th, I think.

Default Re: Jethro Burns Tribute

I believe you are right on the chord chemistry. Jethro did understand the chemistry to a large degree but his knowledge was what I liked to call "native". He once told me that you can't play a tune (improvise on it) unless you knew the chords. Then he played some jazz standard for me and played a really cool chord solo with some outside sounding chords. "Whoa!", I said, "what is that chord?" He just looked at me and said, "I don't know - it's this one." and played it for me. He seemed a bit at a loss to explain it, but it was sure the chord he intended and it was sure the right one.

He loved altered chords - the "lounge" sound and the brass section sound. He loved the riffs that the horns played behind Goodman, et al.
    Jim Nikora