Thread: weber hyalite octave.... oval or f holes?

on the mandolin journey 8stringdreamer's Avatar

Default weber hyalite octave.... oval or f holes?

I'm saving up for my first octave. So far, I love the look of the Weber Hyalite A... has anyone compared how it sounds with oval vs f holes? Where I live means I can't try before I buy. I like the look of D holes and oval holes best but sound is more important than looks. I prefer mellow rich delicate tones that ring out.

I'm pretty keen on a Weber but am open to other well made octaves. From what I have read, I would prefer 22inch neck or shorter.

Any advice and suggestions well appreciated.
    Sal

Default Re: weber hyalite octave.... oval or f holes?

You're in Australia - have a look into the Australian builder Jack Spira. He makes all variety of CBOMs and receives plenty of positive feedback from the forum. Graham McDonald is also from your way. He's even written a book on bouzouki construction.

Try emailing your question to Weber. I recently asked the difference in sound between the D-hole and oval hole on a regular Hyalite mandolin, and received a prompt and thoughtful answer.

Also, they offer a variety of scale lengths for octave mandolins. You might ask them about that as well.

flyfishermandolinist

I love the percussive sound of my Hyalite mandocello with f-holes. I find that it responds amazingly to "chop" type maneuvers, though it's quite a different thing than chop on the mando. I played a D hole weber OM for some time and though I loved it, but I tend to play so percussively, the f-holes really help in that regard IMHO.
    Weber Bitterroot mandolin
    Harmony CBOM Conversion

I haven't heard the Hyalite octave, but will say that when comparing an oval or D-hole Weber Octar with and f-hole Octar, I far prefer the one with f-holes - the tone is just preferable to me.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

on the mandolin journey 8stringdreamer's Avatar

thanks for all the info and advice. I will email Weber and ask them many questions.

I also have a lot of saving up to do, so that will give me a lot of time to look around and work out the little details

cheers
    Sal