Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthem at Super Bowl

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

Default Re: Anthem at Super Bowl

I go along with the Doyle version, or, THE ISAACS!!! (see their youtube version.)
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

No one has ever sang a more moving version than the great Enrico Pallazo

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    Could have been much worse (better?) if an ischemic brain fart would have led to a shift into the original lyrics to the tune melody. (Though I really can't imagine Aguilera having that sort of traditional music background and knowledge for that to occur).

"The Anacreontic Song", also known by its incipit "To Anacreon in Heaven", was the official song of the Anacreontic Society, an 18th-century gentlemen's club of amateur musicians in London. Attributed to the composer John Stafford Smith, the tune later had Francis Scott Key's poem "Defence of Fort McHenry" set to it. The combination became known as "The Star Spangled Banner" and was adopted as the national anthem of the United States in 1931.

The tune was probably composed[1] by a member of the Society, John Stafford Smith from Gloucester, to lyrics by the Society's president, Ralph Tomlinson. Smith wrote the tune in the mid-1760s, while still a teenager. It was first published by The Vocal Magazine (London) in 1778.[2]

These barristers, doctors, and other professional men named their club after the Greek court poet Anacreon (6th century BC), whose poems, "anacreontics", were used to entertain patrons in Teos and Athens. His songs often celebrated women, wine, and entertainment.

The connection with Anacreon, along with the "drinking" nature of the lyrics, have caused many people to label "The Anacreontic Song" a drinking song. The chorus certainly suggests Bacchanalia with its lyrics "And long may the sons of Anacreon intwine the myrtle of Venus with Bacchus' vine." The song was commonly used as a sobriety test: If you could sing a stanza of the notoriously difficult melody and stay on key, you were sober enough for another round.[

The ANACREONTIC SONG
    as Sung at the Crown and Anchor Tavern in the Strand

the Words by
    RALPH TOMLINSON ESQ, late President of that SOCIETY.

To ANACREON in Heav'n, where he sat in full Glee,
    A few Sons of Harmony sent a Petition,
    That He their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
    When this Answer arriv'd from the JOLLY OLD GRECIAN
    "Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
    "No longer be mute,
    "I'll lend you my Name and inspire you to boot,
    "And, besides, I'll instruct you like me, to intwine
    "The Myrtle of VENUS with BACCHUS's Vine.

The news through OLYMPUS immediately flew;
    When OLD THUNDER pretended to give himself Airs_
    If these Mortals are suffer'd their Scheme to pursue,
    The Devil a Goddess will stay above Stairs.
    "Hark! already they cry,
    "In Transports of Joy
    "Away to the Sons of ANACREON we'll fly,
    "And there, with good Fellows, we'll learn to intwine
    "The Myrtle of VENUS with BACCHUS'S Vine.

"The YELLOW-HAIR'D GOD and his nine fusty Maids
    "From HELICON'S Banks will incontinent flee,
    "IDALIA will boast but of tenantless Shades,
    "And the bi-forked Hill a mere Desart will be
    "My Thunder, no fear on't,
    "Shall soon do it's Errand,
    "And, dam'me! I'll swinge the Ringleaders I warrant,
    "I'll trim the young Dogs, for thus daring to twine

APOLLO rose up; and said, "Pr'ythee ne'er quarrel,
    "Good King of the Gods with my Vot'ries below:
    "Your Thunder is useless_then, shewing his Laurel,
    Cry'd. "Sic evitabile fulmen, you know!
    "Then over each Head
    "My Laurels I'll spread
    "So my Sons from your Crackers no Mischief shall dread,
    "Whilst snug in their Club-Room, they Jovially twine

Next MOMUS got up, with his risible Phiz,
    And swore with APOLLO he'd cheerfull join_
    "The full Tide of Harmony still shall be his,
    "But the Song, and the Catch, & the Laugh shall bemine
    "Then, JOVE, be not jealous
    Of these honest Fellows,
    Cry'd JOVE, "We relent, since the Truth you now tell us;
    "And swear, by OLD STYX, that they long shall entwine

Ye Sons of ANACREON, then, join Hand in Hand;
    Preserve Unanimity, Friendship, and Love!
    'Tis your's to support what's so happily plann'd;
    You've the Sanction of Gods, and the FIAT of JOVE.
    While thus we agree
    Our Toast let it be.
    May our Club flourish happy, united and free!
    And long may the Sons of ANACREON intwine
    The Myrtle of VENUS with BACCHUS'S Vine.

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw234.html
    Leave it to Niles to educate, elucidate, and entertain. Tip o' the hat to you sir!

JR

This week on MasterMind:
    The Mandocrucian vs. Christina Aguilera in a (very short) intellectual slapdown.........
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

From Craig Ferguson's monologue tonight: "Less of the warbling, more of the getting the words right." Pretty well sums it up.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Jeepers, JR! What is the point of quoting that whole incredibly long post? My finger almost cramped up from having to scroll through all of that - twice! Why do people quote entire posts, including video clips? Most of the time it is pretty clear to what they are responding, or maybe just a selected bit of pertinent text is useful. But the whole thing? I yi yi!

Could have been much worse (better?) if an ischemic brain fart would have led to a shift into the original lyrics to the tune melody. (Though I really can't imagine Aguilera having that sort of traditional music background and knowledge for that to occur).
    Here in America, most people are aware of only the first verse of Francis Scott Key's lyrics, and apart from possibly some singing societies and such, the lyrics to "To Anacreon in Heaven" are virtually unknown. So while she (pretty clearly) had a brain fart, I would characterize the chances of her slipping into the collective unconsciousness deeply enough to sing those lyrics as arbitrarily close to zero. That said, she must have had some training. The Mickey Mouse Club doesn't take just anybody. Looking through her wikipedia page turned up some interesting info, most relevant the following:

As a child, Aguilera aspired to be a singer. She was known locally as "the little girl with the big voice", singing in local talent shows and competitions. She attended Marshall Middle School near Wexford and North Allegheny Intermediate High School until she was later home schooled. On March 15, 1990, she appeared on Star Search singing "A Sunday Kind of Love", but lost the competition at number 2. Soon after losing on Star Search, she returned home and appeared on Pittsburgh's KDKA-TV's Wake Up With Larry Richert to perform the same song. Throughout her youth in Pittsburgh, Aguilera sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" before Pittsburgh Penguins hockey, Pittsburgh Steelers football and Pittsburgh Pirates baseball games, including during the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals.

So the clip Scott posted was not a one-shot deal, and regardless of the extent of her training (nothing specific mentioned), she has had plenty of experience in singing the SSB, even if it goes back a while. Interesting to see she was an actual Star Search contestant. That kind of training seems to have stuck.

I think she got distracted, nervous, or as George suggested, a little careless. One more run-through could have helped. But Willie - what a brilliant idea! The gazillions of dollars that went into that enormous display ... it really should have been used as a huge teleprompter for everybody. Including Christina. That is the most helpful comment in this whole thread, and possibly the only really worthwhile one. Thank you!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

it really should have been used as a huge teleprompter for everybody. Including Christina.
    Maybe like this on the big screen...

That is the most helpful comment in this whole thread, and possibly the only really worthwhile one.
    ...for you, maybe.

I'm a little aghast at the comments that the anthem should be sung in a manner allowing the people in the stands to sing along. It is commonly remarked on what a difficult song it is to sing and with a melody encompassing a 12th, it really is. I have pretty extensive range and I am always very careful to choose a key that puts that high note in my wheelhouse. 99% of the people in the stands don't have a chance of touching that note regardless of what key it is in, especially when you take into account that there are both males and females attempting the melody.

I prefer to have the announcement, "Please rise and listen as (whoever) sings our national anthem." I don't want them to sing along. If we want people to sing along, we must have a different anthem.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

Blog Entries

Where was Susan Boyle when we needed her?

Blog Entries

Or Jackie Evancho. Next year!

Turns out Ms A is second only to Madonna in sales by a solo artist this century, with over 50 million units sold. And with a big splashy movie out now, too, clearly there is a lot of juice behind her. Same with Lea Michelle, who sang "God Bless America" earlier, star of the very popular "Glee" (also on Fox, BTW). These performers are chosen to boost ratings. What happens on game day, obviously, is up to the vagaries of happenstance.

Blog Entries

Bruce - It has been years since I have attended a sporting event or been in a situation where the anthem is being sung, but I believe the announcement is usually stated, "Please rise for our national anthem." I cannot recall how the featured singer is introduced. So I don't know whether it is suggested everyone sing; everyone is supposed to stand to show respect. Personally, I hardly ever sing along, but I do believe it is customary but voluntary to do so. Whether or not most people are capable of singing it in the same key that the singer has chosen, it is our anthem and we are saddled with it and its challenge. Attempts have been made to replace it, all of which have failed. "America (Of Thee I Sing)" is sometimes substituted, but since its melody is from "God Save The King," that will never succeed. I think the crowd singing along is a charming custom, but I am happy to just listen, as I am sure many others are.
    Last edited by journeybear; Feb-08-2011 at 9:46am. Reason: wrong song!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

The obvious solution is to simply retire "The Anacreontic Banner" and replace it with either "America The Beautiful" (the Ray Charles version, of course) or Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is My Land", both having lyrics that make a lot more sense and melodies which non-acrobats (i.e. citizens) can sing.

(And....as far as Susan Boyle is concerned, you do realise that since she actually is a citizen of the British crown, it would be illegal (treasonous, actually) her for to sing an insurrectionist anthem.)

Problem solved.
    You're Welcome.

Wikipededia: Performances and adaptations of The Star-Spangled Banner

BTW: "My Country Tis Of Thee" uses the melody to "God Save The King/Queen", not "America The Beautiful" .
    Last edited by mandocrucian; Feb-08-2011 at 9:40am.

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

The singers should sing it with respect for the song and what its meaning. Maybe we should get Susan Boyle to sing it. The song may get more respect than it does from it is own citizens. Did you happen to see how few football players had there hands on there hearts during its singing. I think I will stop here before I get banned.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    ...Attempts have been made to replace it, all of which have failed. "America The Beautiful" is sometimes substituted, but since its melody is from "God Save The King," that will never succeed.
    God Save The Queen/King uses the same melody as America/My Country, 'Tis of Thee, not America the Beautiful.

[Edit: Beaten to it by Niles!]

Patrick

Blog Entries

Yes. I realized my error and have corrected it in that post. Thank you. Note to self: coffee, then internet!

Blog Entries

The obvious solution is to simply retire "The Anacreontic Banner" and replace it with either "America The Beautiful" (the Ray Charles version, of course) or Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is My Land"[I], both having lyrics that make a lot more sense and melodies which non-acrobats (i.e. citizens) can sing....snip...
    Woody Guthrie's This Land Is My Land would make the perfect national anthem for the United States of America. This fact alone almost certainly ensures that it will never be the national anthem.
    "Logic has seldom failed us because it has seldom been tried." - Edward Abbey
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Registered User Nelson Peddycoart's Avatar

Wouldn't it be cool if Congress commissioned Michael Stipe to write a new National Anthem? That would be one song that NO ONE would be able to sing OR understand the meaning of.
    Nelson
    Madison, Alabama
    --------------------
    2011 Duff F5
    1928 Gibson A

Blog Entries

Youse guys crack me up!

I don't think "This Land Is My Land" will ever become the anthem. Woody Guthrie was such a "commie rabble rouser" that conservatives would fight it tooth and nail. There are some later verses that are a bit satirical or proselytizing or - well, I'll just say not as blithe as the first verse or two or three. Even so, a lot of people grew up singing this and are familiar with it, and it does have a nice lilt and warm sentiments (until you dig deeper). I remember Gillian Welch telling me that this song was one that sparked her interest in music as a child, singing it in elementary school way out in California. Somehow that led her to music more commonly associated with Appalachia, which ultimately informed her personal musical style.

Can you imagine "This Land is Your Land" sung in the style that the National Anthem is currently sung. Half the speed, twice as long, seven or eight extremely soulful eye-scrunching notes per syllable. Quick - where's the bucket.
    Bobby Bill

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

Another stunner of a rendition to listen to. These girls give Doyle 'n 'nem a run for their money!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

I felt so strongly about having an overhyped popstar do the anthem this year. Don't get me wrong, CA has some wicked vocal skills. Just give the Anthem the respect it deserves. This is clip from SNL shows the absurdity of The Star Search factor that has taken over The National Anthem. I mean no disrespect of the Anthem by posting this clip, it illustrates the ridiculous way some choose to sing it.
    I blame Cher for a lot of things.
    "Is that the banjo player's Porsche?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Evans View Post
    I'm a little aghast at the comments that the anthem should be sung in a manner allowing the people in the stands to sing along. It is commonly remarked on what a difficult song it is to sing and with a melody encompassing a 12th, it really is. I have pretty extensive range and I am always very careful to choose a key that puts that high note in my wheelhouse. 99% of the people in the stands don't have a chance of touching that note regardless of what key it is in, especially when you take into account that there are both males and females attempting the melody.

I prefer to have the announcement, "Please rise and listen as (whoever) sings our national anthem." I don't want them to sing along. If we want people to sing along, we must have a different anthem.

IMO, YMMV, etc.
    Do you REALLY think that a crowd singing the national anthem is about being on pitch? I don't care how badly they sing it, there's no substitute for regular people participating in things (like singing the anthem) as opposed to having highly-paid, so-called professionals do it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I think the current trend of stylizing the National Anthem started with Whitney Houston at another Super Bowl, maybe 15 years ago. It was over-the-top then, too.
    Heh Alan.........I must disagree with the Whitney Houston version........man 'o man that really was a soul-stirring version of the national anthem. I hadn't seen it in years but just went back & watched it and she nailed it IMHO...:-) What strikes me is her face......absolutely lit up and I think she maybe sensed how charged the audience was and she seems to feed on that as the anthem progresses.
    Anyways.......that version has always been one of my favourite "modern" renditions but I do agree with many comments that today singers try to multiple-syllablize the anthem to death & I am not a fan of that at all.
    Peace,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoCelt View Post
    God Save The Queen/King uses the same melody as America/My Country, 'Tis of Thee, not America the Beautiful.
    America The Beautiful, originally a poem by Wellesley professor and poet Katherine Bates (who titled it Pike's Peak, since she wrote it after a trip there), was purportedly set to the Baptist hymn tune Materna by Rev. Clarence Barbour of the Lake Avenue Baptist Church right here in good ol' Rochester! Rev. Barbour, who went on to be president of Brown University, is also my brother-in-law's great-grandfather. Materna was composed by hymnologist Samuel Ward; other tunes had been tried for the Bates poem, including Auld Lang Syne, but it was the Ward tune that stuck. Bates was alleged to be gay; she had a long-term live-in relationship with Katherine Corman, another Wellesley professor, and at Corman's death published a book of love poems to her, entitled Yellow Clover.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Do you REALLY think that a crowd singing the national anthem is about being on pitch? I don't care how badly they sing it, there's no substitute for regular people participating in things (like singing the anthem) as opposed to having highly-paid, so-called professionals do it for them.
    Nobody, not even the pros, sing exactly on pitch. That is not the point at all. If the melody was a single tone, not everybody could sing it on pitch. You don't care how badly they sing it. OK, I do. Many people are embarassed about their inability to sing it well, and therefore won't even try, and some people even come close to hurting themselves if they do try.

If you want people to sing an anthem the melody should be something the "man on the street" can execute without feeling or sounding foolish. I think you have an excellent anthem for your country. "Oh Canada" encompasses an octave, which is enough to give the melody some character and still be within the range of the common man - although the chosen performance key may place it outside the range of the common woman or vice/versa.

I do care.