Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Band attire??

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Band attire??

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    One and the same. Hank was also a solo performer. I knew Willie from pre Fred days and actually preferred his solo work his stuff with Fred, whose stage attire was eye catching (see, back to the topic!). Are you a Fredhead? -)
    Yes I are. Stumbled upon him (almost literally) back when I was writing about the folk/acoustic music scene in New England in the mid-90s until early in this millennium. Fred impressed me with his wit, imagery, and turn of phrase. He could breathe new life into country clichés like no one else I knew (except me, but let's not go there now ... ) And with Willie by his side ... well, let's just say I was hooked. I saw him in some very unusual contexts, and he tended to stick out like a sore thumb amongst the typical angst-ridden confessional songwriters that populated these "folk" series.

Hank was something else. I couldn't tell at first if he was part of the act or just some goofy guy who lived near the venue and begged to sit in with Fred. That helmet contraption was a real hoot. It was, of course a very functional piece of band attire. (Ah, nothing beats working a tangent back to at least a brush with the topic.) At the time, Fred was pretty much wearing jeans and a T-shirt, but for his appearance on Letterman last year he was quite the dandy, decked out with calf length coat and top hat. Clearly he has gone through some changes in the intervening decade, especially if he has a full band. I'm sure some guys are going to pay more attention to the backup singers, though ...

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Bing Cullen View Post
    ...I must say though apart from Monroe and the BG boys, Flatt and Scruggs and FM boys, and Jimmy Martin by himself, the Bluegrass world is bereft of any really outlandish groups...
    Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that!

GVD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    ... Are you a Fredhead? -)
    Anybody that can write a song that starts with these lyrics pretty much goes to the front of my class.

"I saw Big Bear Henry, Two Turtle Jim
    Rolling into town they was riding on the rims
    Sold their tires to buy themselves
    A couple cases of beeeeer
    They got there a little too late
    So they broke down the door and they shot up the place
    Now everybooody’s gone craaaaazy around here
    "
    GVD

well I'll be b***g**d!. Those cleverly's are fabulous..now why wasn't that a hit? Too traditional I guess.
    Bing

Blog Entries

Saw The Grascals on The Talk (think "The View" with lower profile cast) yesterday, and I don't see what all the hullaballo was about. They wore nice clothes, if not matching. I guess they must have taken willie's comments to heart. I admit to being unaware of them (and also to being rather inattentive to current bluegrass in general) so I tuned in out of curiosity. I wasn't impressed by the song they did, "I'm Strong," a slow song with a kind of self-empowerment lyric. No knock against them, and I'll bet this is not exemplary of their repertoire, and if you only get to do one song on a national network TV show and you have a message you want to express to millions and there is footage of Dolly Parton singing that can be shown on a screen while you sing along - go for it; I would too. I just found it cloying. But they did look nice.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Slowly Getting Better Uncle Bob's Avatar

I saw the Grascals this past weekend at the Big Lick BG Festival. They were dressed alot better then 99% of the crowd. They put on their usual great show and the crowd loved them.

If I could play 1/100 as good as Danny Roberts, I'd go on stage buck naked I'd be so happy! I'm not worthy to carry the man's mandolin case. Wear whatever you want Danny.
    Bob

Young & Thin maybe in but Old & Fat is where it's at!

Collings MT2 Mandolin
    Weber F-Style Yellowstone Deluxe Mandolin
    Eastman MD615 Mandolin
    Sturgill A-Style Mandolin
    Ovation MCS148 Mandolin
    Big Muddy M-11M Mandola

I`ll try to put this thread to rest by saying I just mentioned The Grasscals because they are the band that I seen that made me think about this subject, I know quite a few bands that don`t really "dress up" when they play...I`m sorry if I hurt anyones feelings...In my opinion I just think that a band that is trying to impress other people and trying to get them to like their show they should take more precaution in how they look...I think a lot of people shy way from bluegrass bands because of the way they look and act on the stage, to me looks is just one way of entertaining the crowd and of course the muisic is another...I like to listen to the Grasscals and have seen them dressed a lot better then they were that night and I`ve seen other bands that were dressed a lot worse...I have seen people at festivals just walk away from the stage area if a band came out with torn jeans and dirty looking tee shirts and long hair that appeared not to be combed for a week or so...I know what they look like doesn`t affect their music so I guess I can just lay back in my chaise lounge and listen to the music...

I apoligize for even starting this thread......SORRY....Willie

Don't put it to rest yet! I have 2500 photos to share! http://62center.smugmug.com/Dance/INISH.
    I was just waiting for the photos from last weekend. I had a costume change!

I'm not a professional, but I do have to stop by the costume shop before shows and get EVERYTHING measured before the show so they can put my ensemble together.

I think if you are performing, what you wear is a choice you made. It might not communicate what you intended, but it is communicating.

I'm just glad someone smarter than me manages my "look."

Quote Originally Posted by mandolirius View Post
    Wahsboard Hank's first musical foray was with Rev. Ken and the Followers, later Rev. Ken and the Lost Followers. We were a trio (quartet if you count Wheatstraw, the busking dog) that mostly played on the street. Hank and Ken wrote a lot of great satirical songs that were as erudite and sophisticated as Tom Lehrer. They mostly poked fun at organized religion. I hope they are preserved somewhere.
    I once rolled with them as their driver and musical busking apprentice. Kenny wore Jodpurs frequently and was a great electric mandolinist. The morning I met Hank for the first time he was standing under a tree in a Jasper, Alberta park busking and playing his Dobro and singing "The Little Girl and The Dreadful Snake" after just having been released from an overnight stay in jail. We ate breakfast with the proceeds he generated, and I started thinking about alternative career choices to all the ones I had been offered up until then.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Blog Entries

You must know the surest way to increase the life of a thread by at least another half is to try to stop it. I'm not saying we are a contrary, cantankerous bunch, but I wouldn't get much argument if I did. Actually, I probably would, which would prove my point.

Thanks for the link, abuteague. I may get some ideas for stage clothes from there. Here is another source for inspiration. Or amusement. http://www.rockandrollconfidential.com/hall/index.php