Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many Mandolins to own

Default Re: How many Mandolins to own

Have been cutting back. Had more for a while but realized I can be satisfied with less. And it helps that the Coombe works really well in different combinations of musicians and music. Also doesn't hurt that my Junior is out on loan so it makes me focus more on what I do have at hand.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

I have an acquaintance who gave me some grief about owning more than several mandolins. "Why would anyone own more than one mandolin?"

Later, at a party at his house, I saw that he had quite the collection of guitars, well into the teens. I commented and he said, "Well yea sure, guitars, but why would anyone own more than one mandolin?"
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I've had 100's "more than likely anyways" but I'd trade them up for something better and keep going and I eventually was able to get ones I love. Its not quantity but quality for me anyways.

Its interesting that the chase for sound often accelerates as the ability to perceive sound declines.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I find it very easy to buy mandolins but difficult to sell them, even at knock down prices.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    I find it very easy to buy mandolins but difficult to sell them, even at knock down prices.

Dave H
    It's funny how this can be. I promised to put one on the market when I got my Gibson, but I haven't done it yet. And the one under discussion has not even been out of the case in a few months. Not sure why I'm hesitating, because if I don't do it, it's going to make the home front negotiation harder the next time I want to buy something.

Similarly (but not music related), I went with my brother yesterday to a clearance/going out of business sale at an antique/picker's shop. 60% off everything, last weekend open. There was one piece that my brother wanted, it even had a price tag on it, but the older gentleman who owned the shop wasn't ready to sell it, even at full price.

7. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Oh Oh ….. FedEx is delivering another mandolin to my house tomorrow.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Connor For This Useful Post:

Resident Hack

Even a semi-pro like me needs at least two. If a guitarist has an equipment failure, there's always another guitar lurking nearby. If (heaven forbid) I had a failure with my instrument, the only other Mando would be the backup I brought myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Connor View Post
    Oh Oh ….. FedEx is delivering another mandolin to my house tomorrow.
    -very sad, a particularly advanced state of MAS.
    Doctors of Medicine describe this as the illusion that the more often you stand at your front door and chant,
    ‘FedEx is delivering another mandolin to my house tomorrow’,
    the more likely that this event will actually occur.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon DS For This Useful Post:

Revisiting this 10 year old thread was fun. I had to make some choices when I downsized a little over 3 years ago when the youngest went to college. While I didn’t want to get rid of any of them, when faced with that decision the choices became easy. I kept my Silverangel Econo, RM-1, and Mandobird and sold the Flatiron 1N and Eastman 315. I gave my Kentucky 675S to a friend’s kid who had recently seen a BG band and fell in love with mandolin. The mandocello (which I loved but wasn’t playing much) turned into a 20 inch scale OM, and I sold my least favorite (but probably best) acoustic guitar. I also gave a Squire Strat I had to a friend on the condition that he pay it forward if he lost interest but kept the tele.

My Silverangel has since morphed into a Kelley A5 and a Rigel CT-110, the latter of which I bought to have a plug-n-play option. I got to use it in church exactly once before things locked down. I may eventually sell the RM-1, but I like having it when I feel like I need it. If I had to trim down to only 1 the Kelley would be the winner, though I do love the feel and tone of the Rigel. The Kelley just does bluegrass and up the neck tone a little bit better IMO.

I thought I’d miss not having a beater, but I bought a good Reunion Blues gig bag and cart the Kelley pretty much anywhere. I haven’t flown with it yet, though…

So, to answer the OP’s question, I’d agree that a pro needs at least 2. I’d like to add an oval hole to my brood and will probably get another F someday, but those are wants, not needs.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

In the saged words of Bullwinkle: Can't say, 'cause I don't know.

I'm no pro. One is one more than I can handle! (Wouldn't mind a reso, though . . .)
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

15. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

The answer is 3: an f hole, a back up f hole that can be used for split and other tunings when not needed as a back up, and one for classical/Italian. i can only play so many to keep them awake, and it costs a fortune in strings to keep a large herd strung up.

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan in va View Post
    The answer is 3: an f hole, a back up f hole that can be used for split and other tunings when not needed as a back up, and one for classical/Italian. i can only play so many to keep them awake, and it costs a fortune in strings to keep a large herd strung up.
    I got the number right! I got something RIGHT! (Octaves don't count, do they?)
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Blog Entries

Interviewer asks Allen Steffey how many mandolins he has:

<https://youtu.be/fd3lAIyvgRs>
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

My wife has a Heiden F5, an electric Godin, and a Docy. She never lets an instrument go. At the moment, I have a different Heiden F5 and a Steve Carlson Gibson A5L. I recently picked up an octave mandolin, but as we all know, those don't count.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DFBA0D8C-E96E-48CD-AA45-42E0103DC841.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	197373

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Doctors of Medicine describe this as the illusion that the more often you stand at your front door and chant,
    ‘FedEx is delivering another mandolin to my house tomorrow’,
    the more likely that this event will actually occur.
    I’ve been chanting since last Wednesday and like magic the tracking information appeared. And now … I’m chanting for a pizza delivery.

22. The following members say thank you to Greg Connor for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Five ... Two A models , one oval hole and one with "F" holes, two F models one with an oval sound hole and one with "F" holes and one " taterbug" / Neapolitan instrument. For an extended collection add an L&H two point and a canted top Martin. If you get into the different woods available you may need to get a room for your mandolins. Play on friends. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Question Re: How many Mandolins to own

No one offers a long term loan so to know what one is like, I have to buy it. that's the basics ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

According to "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Universe," 42. Or is that the answer to "What is the meaning of life?" Is there any difference? Hmmm ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

26. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

I have vigorously avoided being a mandolin collector. I have more of a large assortment of mandolins. I like to have one for each task, bluegrass, Irish/Celtic, old time, classical, solo at open mic night, duo with a guitar back up, couching at home, recording, etc., etc.

I have more than several mandolins. To extend my analogy of "one for each task", I liken my accumulation of mandolins to my full tool box in the garage; many tools, but certainly nobody would refer to it as a collection of tools.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

On giving Alan Bibey's comment, "one of everything," more thought, I sure could use a Gilchrist F5C - Classic, and a Randy Woods modified 1930s Gibson F5 in my toolbox. Dear Santa.....

Quote Originally Posted by j4music View Post
    On giving Alan Bibey's comment, "one of everything," more thought, I sure could use a Gilchrist F5C - Classic, and a Randy Woods modified 1930s Gibson F5 in my toolbox. Dear Santa.....
    That was Adam Steffey in the video in post 89, multiple IBMA player of the year. One would think a player would recognize him
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Guess I'll chime in. I have an F5 (for bluegrass), and an A oval (for old time and Irish), and a good but less valuable A5 for travel and just for fun. I don't include the two flat-tops that I built myself. Or the octave and tenor guitar. I think I am done buying. If anything, I'll cut back one or two eventually.
    Cary Fagan

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    That was Adam Steffey in the video in post 89, multiple IBMA player of the year. One would think a player would recognize him
    Not for nothing, but I've been playing for over half a century, and I couldn't tell Adam Steffey from Alan Biber, nor Allen Hopkins, for that matter. And Hank identified him as "Allen Steffey" when he posted #89, so you might want to take it up with him, too. if you must.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

32. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    My bad. Sorry about that. But his quote was great.