Thread: "A City Called  Blue"--  find a lost song

Hi dere!

I am reposting this because i hoped for a larger audience for this topic. I have been looking for this song for over twenty-five years and have tried web searches only to find one other guy looking for the same tune--also with no luck. This proves to me that the song was out there --and not just substance abuse related.

Years ago , the early seventies,I played bass in a degenerate country band. The guitarist brought in a song which I really enjoyed called "A City Called Blue". I have forgotten most of it and I don't know the original artist. It may have been a local St-Louis song; guitarist was from there. It may have come from a sixties compilation album. Any help would resolve many years of head scratching--an there ain't much hair left on that noggin.

In case I have the title wrong, I will add what I remember of the chorus:
    " It hurts to pay your taxes, sorrow's the tender here. To park a broken heart, the meter only takes a tear."

Thanks to anyone with a great memory or good resources!

Reindoggy

Default Re: "A City Called  Blue"--  find a lost song

Hi, I am also looking for this song. Myself and my old man were listening to some old time country music on our steaming media player last night and some songs like Saginaw Michigan, and Detroit City came on, and he was reminiscing about one of the first albums he ever had when he was young that these songs were on.. This was in Ohio, probably in the 6o's. He said there was an album with different songs, and he especially loved this song called. "A City called Blue". When I did the search, and all that came up was your post, and I read it to him, he said, "Yes those were some of the lyrics". Have you ever found the song? I would love to hear it, because I know, if my guy said it was good, then it was good!

Certified schooner-rat Neoclinus's Avatar

Alright, so I'm not familiar with this song, but I saw your post and thought it could be a fun challenge to do a bit of sleuthing. Looks like it was from an album called " A Country Boy Looks Down That Lonesome Road" by Earl Cupit and Bobby Bond in 1967. Here's a link to a some album info http://www.discogs.com/Earl-Cupit-An...elease/3061478 and it looks like you can buy it on vinyl there or on Amazon. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a recording of it anywhere, which is a pity since now I'm curious and would like to hear it. Sorry I couldn't find more, but I hope that helps! And if you manage to find a digital track somewhere let us know...
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neoclinus For This Useful Post:

That's enough information. Here are a few copies on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...CUPIT&_sacat=0
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The internet is an amazing thing. Apparently, even 11 years ago, it was hard to find this kind of thing (at the looks of the first post). Now, find it and have it in your hands a week later with some great quick research and a few clicks to buy it.
    I remember combing through records at my local store every week to see what old gems might have shown up. No real way to go looking for a particular out of print album. Now, ask a question on a chat board and some awesome stranger finds it for you!
    This site is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by reindoggy View Post
    Hi dere!

I am reposting this because i hoped for a larger audience for this topic. I have been looking for this song for over twenty-five years and have tried web searches only to find one other guy looking for the same tune--also with no luck. This proves to me that the song was out there --and not just substance abuse related.

Years ago , the early seventies,I played bass in a degenerate country band. The guitarist brought in a song which I really enjoyed called "A City Called Blue". I have forgotten most of it and I don't know the original artist. It may have been a local St-Louis song; guitarist was from there. It may have come from a sixties compilation album. Any help would resolve many years of head scratching--an there ain't much hair left on that noggin.

" It hurts to pay your taxes, sorrow's the tender here. To park a broken heart, the meter only takes a tear."

Reindoggy
    The Lyrics are...

A CITY CALLED BLUE

Welcome stranger to our city called Blue.
    We arranged this committee to welcome you.
    Our city is different, and our laws may be strange,
    Please listen and I'll try to explain.

C.

Your hurt will be your taxes you pay for living here.
    To park your broken heart the meter only takes a tear.
    And as soon as you recover you'll be forced to move.
    For only broken hearts can live in a city called Blue.

Every house here in town is painted blue.
    And there are riddles down Lonesome Avenue.
    So go on pack your heartaches and lots of luck to you.
    Here's the key to our city called Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Neoclinus View Post
    Alright, so I'm not familiar with this song, but I saw your post and thought it could be a fun challenge to do a bit of sleuthing. Looks like it was from an album called " A Country Boy Looks Down That Lonesome Road" by Earl Cupit and Bobby Bond in 1967. Here's a link to a some album info http://www.discogs.com/Earl-Cupit-An...elease/3061478 and it looks like you can buy it on vinyl there or on Amazon. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a recording of it anywhere, which is a pity since now I'm curious and would like to hear it. Sorry I couldn't find more, but I hope that helps! And if you manage to find a digital track somewhere let us know...
    I had that album. Memorized some of the songs. I don't know how many times I sang "A City Called Blue." If I had the money, I'd put a band together and record it.

I have some friends that have old songs like this, and they have Youtube channels. I asked them if they had the song if they would please post it.

I'll let you know.

Earl Cupit was my 1st cousin. He was quite a bit older than me; but he played at the Louisiana Hayride & did a performance at the Grand Ole Opry. His brother Bobby (Robert) Cupit played also. I do believe Earl wrote a “City Called Blue” among others. He & Bobby Bond played around Vidalia & Ferriday, LA. Earl was also a D.J in Vidalia. I remember when he & Bond made the Lonesome Road album. Earl came to our house with an arm full. So proud!! We were too! We still have that music as well as his & his brother Bobby singing! One of their dad’s brothers had a band also!!
    Last edited by Pbenge; Jan-01-2019 at 4:38pm. Reason: Add

10. The following members say thank you to Pbenge for this post:

GDAE 

Quote Originally Posted by reindoggy View Post
    Hi dere!

Reindoggy
    Hi regarding the song " a city called blue " it is off of the album called " a country boy looks down that lonesome road" by Earl Cupit and Bobby Bond and can be found on "Spotify" as well as a 2nd album of theirs called a "country boy keeps movin on a 2021 remaster. took me years to find those songs again. Spotify is a great place they have most everything I should have checked their first lol. Take care