Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best way to represent the mandolin in the rock music

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The best way to represent the mandolin in the rock music

Hey! Good going. Nice to know some people listen to me. I learned something too - setting a reminder notice, because I can count on myself to forget.

I hope you had a good time putting all this together, especially auditioning the selections. Looking forward to listening in!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

I was listening in - nice selection, a mix of the familiar ("Maggie May," "Friend Of The Devil," "Mandolin Rain"), the less familiar (Emmylou Harris with Sam Bush, Paul McCartney's "Dance Tonight," a Jethro Tull song I didn't know), and the fairly obscure (the opening song, a couple others which of course I can't name.) I couldn't understand a word of the commentary except when a performer's name got mentioned, but it seemed things went well, and the host laughed a lot, usually a good sign.

It brought me back, it did, especially the second song in the program, "Maggie May," when the DJ turned down the end, just after it finally got to the mandolin ... just like the old days. That may not have been the best song to put up so early, as there is a lot of time before the coda. Perhaps "Friend Of The Devil" would have been better there; historically earlier too, FWIW.

But that aside, it was cool to listen to radio from the other side of the world. I couldn't figure out how to download it - don't know the language nor even the alphabet - and I guess it really wouldn't be too useful to me. But I wonder if you could post a playlist.

I hope you enjoyed yourself. Sounded good out here in radioland!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Hi journeybear,

It should have been a tough task for you, because of the language, but thanks for listening! :-)

Here is what happened... I prepared a list of thirteen pieces:

1. Tu vu fa l'Americano (Ricardo Carosone)
    2. Boat on the river (Styx)
    3. Love in vain (Stones)
    4. Losing my religion (REM)
    5. Maggie May (Rod Stewart)
    6. Friend of the devil (Grateful Dead)
    7. Going to California (Led Zeppelin)
    8. Dance tonight (Paul McCartney)
    9. Acres Wild (Jethro Tull)
    10. Little Ghost (White Stripes)
    11. Mandolin Rain (Bruce Hornsby)
    12. Iris (Goo Goo Dolls)
    13. White as snow (U2)

However it turned out that we have to include also some country and bluegrass songs inbetween, because it is indeed a country/bluegrass program and there was no time left for the last few pieces of my list. Besides we talked too much obviously - about the history of the mandolin, about Gibson, about the mandolin performers in all of the above pieces, some interesting stories and facts about the bands, etc. It was supposed to be a one hour show, but the host was so excited, that we made it a two hour show. And yes, we had fun. We know each other for a long time, we have the love to the music in common and it was an easy going conversation and the time was flying so fast. I think it was good for the Bulgarian audience to listen to a show like this. I got some nice responses this morning.

Best,
    Plamen

Blog Entries

It went for two hours? My connection dropped at the one hour mark and I assumed it was over. Well, no matter. I hope a lot of people tuned in and got turned on to the mandolin and its capabilities. If there is a next time, try to include some electric mandolin. Might as well go for it all!

And thank you for doing this and furthering the cause of mandolin consciousness!

My first post on Mandolin Cafe. I just bought a tenor guitar from one of the forumites here and have been gleaning info the last few days. Great site.
    Here is another Canadian band, Crash Vegas from the early 90's. This song was a top 10 hit in Canada and yes there is a mandolin. Played by Colin Cripps, a great guitar player and very occasional mandolin player. I play drums on this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7qgZdswpHQ
    Last edited by ambrosepottie; Apr-11-2011 at 7:08pm. Reason: spelling

I echo Journeybear..........when I think of pioneers of pop/rock music involving the mandolin I 1st think of Seals & Crofts......I have been a big fan of theirs for 40+ years. Dash Crofts is a very good mandoliner........played a nice Gibson on some pieces and also an electric mando on a number of pieces. There are a # of live performances from the California Jam concert of 1974 that Journeybear posted the video of.........check them out.........some great mando playing. Also the Midnight Special videos.....nice stuff. Here is Summer Breeze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPLfDBcu_U0
    Here is Diamond Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5b65...eature=related
    Here is Dash doing some nice electric mando on High on a Mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrEKA...eature=related
    Peace,
    Jim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosepottie View Post
    My first post on Mandolin Cafe. I just bought a tenor guitar from one of the forumites here and have been gleaning info the last few days. Great site.
    Here is another Canadian band, Crash Vegas from the early 90's. This song was a top 10 hit in Canada and yes there is a mandolin. Played by Colin Cripps, a great guitar player and very occasional mandolin player. I play drums on this track.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7qgZdswpHQ
    Hi ambrosepottie; welcome to the Cafe!
    Thanks for posting the link to the track.
    Very enjoyable song, and your work on the drums is mighty fine!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Thank you. Now back to trying to figure out tuning in 5ths. And whether a mandolin or OM is in my future. The mandocello is over the top. But in a good way.

Blog Entries

Theoretically, at least, the harmonic at the 7th fret is supposed to be the same as the harmonic at the 12th fret of the next higher string.

Or get a tuner.

I guess I meant playing in an instrument tuned in 5ths. I usually keep a tuner on the headstock so it will get that cool buzzing rattle. It's the drummer in me.

Blog Entries

My goodness! Each of us is funnier than the other. We should quit the music biz and start a comedy routine - though there is probably even less money in it than music!

By the way, I have been remiss in saying, nice song.

Thanks. But I've heard the money is in children's music.

If you can get yourself a show on Disney, then you're golden; else the money is in children's books.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Naaaah, its childrens clothing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....