Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tenor Guitar tuning - CGDA vs GDAE ????

Default Re: Tenor Guitar tuning - CGDA vs GDAE ????

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I never really thought about it, but now that you bring it up it is possible you can't go back. The slots would be too big- .012 for a .010 string, .022 for a .014, .032 for a .022, and .044 for a .032. Now, if you were to go back to CGDA it is POSSIBLE you could get a buzz or rattle in the slots...or not. It the strings don't make noise you're good to go. If they are noisy you are up a creek. Only way to tell if that would work would be to try it.
    I recommend getting a Zero Glide nut. It's an updated version of the Zero Fret system where the Zero fret is now attached to the nut, plus it enhances the longevity of the strings by 93%Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tenor Glide Nut.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	203633 & it's really easy all you need to do is change the nut. An Intonatable bridge (like an Electric Guitar) would allow you to fine tune the intonation on each string.

Actually John Pearse has a good set

If you cut the slots for the John Pearse set Ed wants to try it might be a little better. They aren't quite as fat as the ones I use. Another thought: if you have a floating bridge like I do you could make 2 bridges, one for each set, very easily. You could make different saddles for each set for a pin bridge IF the saddle is removable. Nut would be more problematic.
    They recommend using a Zero Glide Banjo nut

It is true that HPL Martins sound better than one would think they should. I had a chance to buy the tenor version but passed because I had heard GDAE was a problem with them. It was a worthy idea though. Too bad they didn't make one with a solid wood top.
    They worked around this issue by making the body a bit deeper

There's another business that does a range of Tenor G D A E string - Clifford Essex, currently online on Ebay UK (and maybe other countries?), website apparently developing. They make chrome tape wound, nickel and PB round wound tenor strings, for various tunings, in Light to Extra Heavy, .009 to .014 1st string depending on tuning and gauge required. Must try their GDAE tape wounds to see if they get rid of my squeaks.