Thread: Very interesting supply source

Default Very interesting supply source

Need a squishy gel magnet? Fish leather? Chameleon Crystal Pigment? Paper Thin Stone Veneer? Tiny surface-mounted silicon microphones?

My pal Henry just forwarded this link to me: www.inventables.com/. 181 things (at the moment), many of which caught my fancy. Whole Earth Catalog for the 21st C.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Default Re: Very interesting supply source

This looks good. You can find this stuff if you know what to look for, but sometimes you don't know what you're looking for!

On the topic of gadgeteering, I might also recommend a good source of cheap mechanical and electrical components, good for shop-built machinery: https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp

John
    www.jmorton.us

Both of you just gave those gadget websites a free backlink from a Google PR6 website (mandolin cafe) that they probably do not deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hostetter View Post
    Need a squishy gel magnet? Fish leather? Chameleon Crystal Pigment? Paper Thin Stone Veneer? Tiny surface-mounted silicon microphones?

My pal Henry just forwarded this link to me: www.inventables.com/. 181 things (at the moment), many of which caught my fancy. Whole Earth Catalog for the 21st C.
    Great link Paul. There's stuff for unique inlay, stuff for making cauls, a whole lot of things that are pretty useful there. I may spend the afternoon browsing through.

Quote Originally Posted by John Morton View Post
    This looks good. You can find this stuff if you know what to look for, but sometimes you don't know what you're looking for!

On the topic of gadgeteering, I might also recommend a good source of cheap mechanical and electrical components, good for shop-built machinery: https://www.surpluscenter.com/home.asp
    Wow, that is a great source for anyone looking to build specialized machinery. Thanks for posting that.

I have found these two sites useful for various things and materials;

MicroMark -- aimed at modelmakers but a good source of small parts and scaled down tools.

Small Parts - source for, among other things, small affordable sheets of ultem plastic of various thicknesses -- good for making your own picks
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Be careful, Mike. You don't want Google to give them any business they don't deserve.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net