Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Design A Weber Instrument Giveaway

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default Design A Weber Instrument Giveaway

The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
    Design A Weber Instrument Giveaway
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001328.shtml

Weber Fine Acoustic Instruments and the Mandolin Cafe are combining efforts to give away an opportunity for some lucky individual to design their own instrument - mandolin, mandola, mandocello, guitar or resonator instrument - using Weber's innovative Design A Weber tool and receive a $4,500 credit towards an instrument to be built to the winner's specifications.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Default Re: Design A Weber Instrument Giveaway

This is going to be sweet! Just one small hitch. I gotta win it

As the owner of 2 Webers, a great Vintage A and a new Yellowstone. I probably shouldn't enter this contest, but I do feel the need for a custom distressed Yellowstone A to fill out my little mando family. You just can't have enough Webers, in my opinion.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I'm of the same mind as George. Already have three Webers, don't deserve another, I'm sure there's a needy guy or girl out there who should get this, but what the heck, I want another.

Unregistered User...?
    Blog Entries

Guys, I don't have any Webers! Just back out and let me have it, will ya?!
    Eastman Custom 515
    Washburn D20

I've always wanted the chance to design an instrument but am waiting to win the lottery ... it would be nice to try for an instrument of this caliber -- thanks, guys, for another great contest!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Thank you, Weber. What a nice gesture!

My wife just ordered a Weber Special Edition for me from THE MANDOLIN STORE. If I win this one, I'll give my Special Edition to someone that doesn't have a mandolin. Pay it forward!

Wow! Thank you Bruce and Scott for such a generous giveaway of what is simply a beautiful work of art, regardless of the model or the design. Like many others I dream of owning a Weber. I wish everyone the best of luck...but just a slightly little less luck than me ;-).

Scott, Bruce & Mary

What a great gesture. I have had the great pleasure of creating 3 mandolins with Bruce, my first was a custom Gallatin F, the second is my Vintage A, my dream oval and now my custom Yellowstone F, all I can say is WOW.

So to whomever wins this dream prize, you will have a great experience creating the mandolin of a lifetime..

Good Luck to everyone.

Blog Entries

I gotta admit, a nice mandola or mandocello would be champion. F-style, A-style doesn't matter, free-style, Nice!

Jamie

PS. As a Moderator here, I won't enter. Dreams are nice give me 5 minutes with this fantasy, please. Thanks.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

What an awesome giveaway. Thanks to Weber & Mandolin Cafe & good luck to all who enter.........:-)
    Peace,
    Jim

Blog Entries

I've got a mandola in the pipeline now. I don't know if I could stand the anticipation. Oh heck, you bet I could.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

I LOVE playing around with the "Design a Weber" tool on their website - what an awesome give away this is going to be! I'm thinking Bighorn, no wait, a custom colour F, or how about custom colour and inlay on an A?...Choices, choices, choices - now all that's left is to win it!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Many thanks to Scott & Bruce for this chance to dream. Probably my only shot at a mandocello.

Off to the Webber site!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Weber makes some strong instruments. Great way to introduce the world to what they can really do as a shop -- both the tool and the contest. A little audio would be great, but then we'd never leave the site.

Designing a Weber Mandolin is my dream, and a Weber will be my next mandolin and the one that I play for the rest of my life. Too win one would mean I wouldn't have to wait a few years.

rsaunders

I am a left-handed grandfather who dreams of playing the mandolin, but cannot afford a quality used instrument. Winning this contest would be like Christmas!

Blog Entries

Only a dream. I will enter but I have no luck !! I could enter 99 times with only 100 entries and still lose. But I can Dream.

Blog Entries

I didn't notice last night that Scott had asked if anybody had used the Weber build it yourself process. I have and the instrument is in process. It is discussed in a thread titled "Moving on Up, to a Mandola". The actual process is pretty easy. It is available for every level of mando family instrument they make. A good thing about a custom mando is that, unlike some of the custom guitar programs (like Taylor, Martin for instance), you're not swiming upstream against economies of scale where even a slight modification means big bucks. Every Weber is almost a custom instrument so variations don't seem to require super premiums.

You step through page by page and every aspect of guitar is covered. If your choices require changes they are done automatically and you are informed. For instance, I chose a D hole for my mandola. Well, the standard Weber bracing is tone bars with X bracing optional. For the D hole however, only X bracing is used. That may seem obvious but I think it's good they point this out.

The MSRP roles up as you add items so you can experiment with your budget. At the end of the process you can submit it directly to Weber or generate a PDF to take to your Weber dealer. I made PDFs of several variations so I could consider them off line. I took the final version to my dealer. Be sure to review the order with Weber after your dealer submits it to be sure that the transmittal process went according to plan. I my case, the substitution of the Trad Brekke for the Std Brekke was missed.

The pictures of Ted E's mandola were very encouraging as I have almost the same instrument about a month behind his by order date.
    Last edited by GRW3; Feb-25-2011 at 10:47am. Reason: Thread Reference Failed - could not add as edit
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

I spec'ed out a Bighorn mandola. The only upcharge that kind of shocked me was the hundreds of dollars that they want for a pickguard.

retired sandwich artist yellowbarber's Avatar
    somewhere between the York, Hudson, Avon and Seine Rivers

I don't understand how to enter...am I missing something?

Also, the "Design A Weber" tool only covers cookie-cutter trim levels and not wood selections. I like Bruce Webber's work, for a custom I'm more interested in the nuts-and-bolts of the build and not the bling.
    thomasbaileymusic.com
    "On ne découvre pas de terre nouvelle sans consentir à perdre de vue, d'abord et longtemps, tout rivage." -Andre Gide

The contest doesn't start until April 15. The rest of us are just all hyper about the announcement.

Love to have mine with a wider neck. I'm with you Gary. Either find someone that doesn't play. Or a good player that can't afford an upgrade to my Weber Gallatin.

Blog Entries

I'm with Jill...Bighorn all the way!
    One with the Translucent Walnut finish...That would be so sweet...
    Thanks to the fine folks at Weber for sponsoring such an exciting and generous giveaway.
    -Ed
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters