Thread: beginner advice and finding sheet music

Default beginner advice and finding sheet music

I use to play the violin and though that learning the mandolin would be a good fit since they are stringed the same.

Is there a good place to buy original sheet music? I have found that for many modern songs, the parts of the mandolin and others are rearranged to fit the piano and guitar.
    I can just read the treble clef line, but then I encounter many strange chords which are very difficult on the mandolin. Also since the arrangement merges an entire band into one instrument, many of the mandolin parts are missing if they are not in the melody. I've found this to be my biggest problem since I have to try to figure out different chords instead of just reading the music.

Also, I find myself fingering like on a violin alot more than I should. For example, I was watching a carrie underwood performance with Adam clark on mandolin. When I watch him play the mandolin part, his fingers don't move much while I'm fingering all over the place to catch the right notes. I tried to match his fingering, but it doesnt sound right. perhaps he has his instrument tuned differently.

Default Re: beginner advice and finding sheet music

Check out Mike Marshall's Fundamental DVDs for some good insight into fretting hand technique.

As far as sheet music goes, my most trusted book is the Fiddler's Fakebook, however, as a violin player, you may already have that one

I'll have to check out that book. However, I was looking for a source of sheet music for current songs. I figure that when a band chooses to play a cover, they must get the sheet music from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lmbgm View Post
    I'll have to check out that book. However, I was looking for a source of sheet music for current songs. I figure that when a band chooses to play a cover, they must get the sheet music from somewhere.
    It may depend on the music you're playing. I tend to stick with bluegrass, old country stuff, and the occasional rock tune. There's a lot of improvisation there and a lot of playing by ear. Find a song you know, get the chords, and then work out the rest. In the case of fiddle tunes however, I usually need some sort of sheet music to get an idea of how to play the song.

Best thing I ever did was to swear off sheet music for a good long while.
    Rob G.
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by lmbgm View Post
    I figure that when a band chooses to play a cover, they must get the sheet music from somewhere.
    Not always. Most stuff me and the folks I play with figure out by ear. Can't say if that's what everyone does, but the bands I've played with, it's by ear. Also, sometimes you need to play in a different key to accomodate the singer. If you haven't developed your ear to that point, try playing along with CD's, radio, youtube, etc. That's one way to train your ear.

Blog Entries

I would also strongly recommend the Mike Marshall DVD #1 and #2. There's a ton of advice, and a massive amount of information in two hours of video.

Also - if you're trying to figure out a part and want to get it note-for-note ... use software to slow it down.

There's quite a few programs out there that can slow it down to 50% speed without losing the pitch [it might sound sorta odd when you slow it a ton, but it's workable and a giant aid when trying to figure things out by ear].

Like the others said - getting used to picking out things by ear is a talent that is incredibly useful to work on. Initially, starting with songs that you have hammered in your head is easiest [happy birthday, kids songs, christmas songs] and then playing along to any music, commercial jingle, TV song, etc you hear is great practice.

Eventually you get to the point to where you realize that sometimes Elmo's song is in C, but most of the time it's in F - and are able to instantly play either. Not really a useful tune to know, but it developed my ear/finger relationship a little and ability to hear the different keys [at least on that song].

It's not instant, but I've found it a useful skill to work on.

There are lots of websites that have numerous scores of sheet music. I recommend just searching for 'general mandolin sheet music' or something of the sorts. There are also many good sheet music books, look on amazon! Good luck!