Thread: Compensated bridges for flat-tops

Default Compensated bridges for flat-tops

I already search the forums, and only found a related thread specific to Martins, hence this thread. I've found flat-top bridges here and there, such as the ones at Elderly, but none that I've found are compensated. Anyone out there know of a source for rosewood or ebony (or even purpleheart) compensated bridges made for flat-tops, or suggestions for arch-top compensated bridges that I might be able to mod for a flat-top?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Default Re: Compensated bridges for flat-tops

Jim, you might want to contact Mike Dulak at Big Muddy. He makes compensated bridges for his flat tops. I got one from him for a non-Big Muddy (Suzuki). I sent him the unusable bridge and he made a compensated one to match. He'd be worth a try.
    >>>===> Dave

Thanks AT -- I took a quick look at their accessory page before I posted this thread, but I missed the flat-top bridge listed there (http://www.soundtoearth.com/products.php?prod=18).

Dave -- do you recall what Mike charged you for your bridge?
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

If you have enough room you could also sand down the bottom of an adjustable bridge flat or just make a new base for it. I sanded the bottom of one flat and took out the adjustment wheels to get it as low as possible. It worked ok until I made my own.They are easy enough to make. Use an ordinary adjustable bridge as a guide and then tweak the flat top bridge as needed.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    If you have enough room you could also sand down the bottom of an adjustable bridge flat or just make a new base for it. I sanded the bottom of one flat and took out the adjustment wheels to get it as low as possible. It worked ok until I made my own.They are easy enough to make. Use an ordinary adjustable bridge as a guide and then tweak the flat top bridge as needed.
    I've done this with an adjustable as well. I had to remove material from the top of the base as well as from the feet to get it low enough to work for what I was doing. The base ended up very thin, and eventually failed, cracking where it spans between the two feet. Cautionary tale. . .

And don't forget that if you have a flat needle file, and the bridge saddle is wide enough, then you can file your own compensation into the saddle... most of the pre-compensated ones are actually over-compensated anyway IMO.

I think Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustics can make one for you: http://cumberlandacoustics.com (click on 'Mandolin 1' at the top of the page).

He also makes the Redline Traveler, which is an Army/Navy flat-top. It comes with a C.A. bridge http://redlineresophonics.com/mandolins/traveler
    Copeland (aka Stagg) PoS A-style
    Redline Resophonics Traveler (Coming Soon!)